hey guys,

So, as you can read in the title, this track has no guitars, for it is a prelude to my previously posted progressive metal piece. But I figured I might as well post it. If this is against the rules of this forum, I'll delete it this post

So yeah, this piece is just two motives interchanging, with a slowly building crescendo (imo preludes should be simplistic in nature). It's piano & electronic- and synth-instruments. It's all VST for now, because I feel like my pianorecording with my sm57 didn't do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7r6T-N-rc&index=1&list=PLgwpbPwLCQ_CiykLOAEOLMsACIuCRI4eJ

https://soundcloud.com/dentsmusic/prototype-preludium
Last edited by DENTS at Jun 1, 2015,
The first melody is pretty beautiful. You do notice that it's a VST piano, but I get the idea and I like it.

I think that it might need just a bit more reverb or depth. It might just be the VST nature, as they often sound like they're just floating in this undefined space. Just a thought. The part with the synth backing the piano helps with this issue a bit, as the low bass notes from the synth generate a lot of depth for the whole mix. Some of the piano parts in this section might be just a bit too fast and complex for this kind of an atmospheric prelude, but that is purely a matter of taste.

I obviously followed it directly with Evolve since it's a prelude, and man I just can't get over that track. I just love it, you need to make an album full of this stuff I didn't feel that strong of a connection between the two tracks, but it's certainly present. It's pretty hard to make an fitting intro that isn't just a modified part from the actual track, but there are some great examples out there. Have you heard anything from Steven Wilson? His new album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. has an amazing intro, that flows perfectly into the first track. It even shares a little bit of the same feeling as this, you could check it out if you want to hear some amazing music.
Quote by Kevätuhri
The first melody is pretty beautiful. You do notice that it's a VST piano, but I get the idea and I like it.

I think that it might need just a bit more reverb or depth. It might just be the VST nature, as they often sound like they're just floating in this undefined space. Just a thought. The part with the synth backing the piano helps with this issue a bit, as the low bass notes from the synth generate a lot of depth for the whole mix. Some of the piano parts in this section might be just a bit too fast and complex for this kind of an atmospheric prelude, but that is purely a matter of taste.

I obviously followed it directly with Evolve since it's a prelude, and man I just can't get over that track. I just love it, you need to make an album full of this stuff I didn't feel that strong of a connection between the two tracks, but it's certainly present. It's pretty hard to make an fitting intro that isn't just a modified part from the actual track, but there are some great examples out there. Have you heard anything from Steven Wilson? His new album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. has an amazing intro, that flows perfectly into the first track. It even shares a little bit of the same feeling as this, you could check it out if you want to hear some amazing music.

Yeah, with prelude I don't really mean an immediate intro to Evolve. It's more a stand-alone if you know what I mean. It was actually the intro of a progressive rock album I made previously, and I basically stole it lol! But yeah, vst piano's, and melodyinstruments in general, are kinda a no-go, I will redo the entire album when I'm capable of doing so. And thank you for the critique! I can see why you would feel it's too fast.

And thank you for that comment about Evolve; made my day I'm currently working on recording the next track of the album (Sympathetic), although I must admit it isn't as laid-back as Evolve was. The album is about evolution, so it starts off as pure (the prelude; the single cell, or the prototype), then the evolution itself, and sympathetic is more towards the end of the album, where the fight-or-flight nervous system is already in tact etc. And then it ends with a dissonant piece called ''Cognitive Dissonance'', which is basically critizism towards the current human development

And I'll definitely check out Steven Wilson; any pieces in particular I should take a listen to?

And by the way, if you have a piece you want me to critique, go ahead and send the link my way.

Thanks for the great, thorough feedback!
Oh, and by the way: do you (or anyone else) know of ways I can promote my YouTube-page? Right now the videos don't show up in the YouTube-search as much as I want it to, and it's hard to start a channel off when you're small, you know?
Yeah, I can see what you mean with it being a standalone. And I'm all for evolution, progressive music is pretty much my thing so that sounds about perfect

Well, I actually subscribed to your youtube channel before reading that post if that counts for anything. I think there was a guest article here on UG about youtube marketing a while back, you could try to find it, I recall it being well received. I think that the main points were to put out some supplementary content, like video playthroughs or even lessons of your songs, or making a personalized cover of a more well known song. Other than that, promoting music like this and among your friends/facebook will get you more views and more youtube coverage. Just some thoughts, I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Well, you could start with the intro/first track combo of First Regret/3 Years Older. You might also enjoy Pin Drop, Raven That Refused To Sing and Harmony Korine. If you're into huge jazz/prog fusion tracks, you can't go wrong with No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun and Luminol. Wilson is kind of the best musician in the world in my opinion, anyone who is interested should definitely check him and Porcupine Tree out.
Well, it's coming out in a few days I think!

Thank you! Much appreciated. Yeah, I have a channel with around 500+ subscribers and 200k videos of non-musicrelated (and related) content, but what the problem was with that is that you should be careful with monetizing. I want my content to be copyright infringement-free, because that way I could in the future sign a partnership with a company. And honestly, I don't really feel like bombarding my friends and family with metalpieces, since practically everyone in society hates it haha! But the videoplaythroughs & lessons are a solid idea, I might as well!

Ohhhh, Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson! Yeah, of course I know him! I love porcupine tree. But I haven't heard of literally any of the mentioned tracks, so I'll take a listen to them tonight. Thanks!