Lately I've been eating* through picks at a really irritating rate, and I've yet to find a design I like more than Jazz IIIs. The idea of the ultex ones - same thing but harder - seems to be pretty much exactly what I need. While I can order them at my local store, they don't normally carry them, so before I start with that kerfuffle I just want to know how people find the durability of the ultex Jazz IIIs compared to that of the nylon ones, and - for the sake of complete comparison - how durable/noticeably different in playing the Petrucci picks are.

*Figuratively speaking
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I've been using dunlop nylon .88 for about 15 years as my primary picks. I tend to lose them (pick gnomes) before I ever wear through them.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Dunlop Nylon Standard picks don't have points, so yeah they take longer to wear down. I'm not particularly interested in that because I specifically like the point on a Jazz III I just want to know whether Ultex Jazz IIIs last significantly enough longer to justify any extra cost or if I should just start bulk buying my picks.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
If you like the picks you use but eat through them, just buy more of them. A lot of pick wear also depends on technique. It might just be that your picking style/angle/attack causes them to wear out more quickly. In that case, a slightly harder pick might be more durable, but will ultimately wear out still. Why change from what you like and are comfortable with just to get a little more longevity out of a pick?

I would recommend that you try the Ultex Jazz III just to see how they feel. Use the pick that feels best and helps you play the best. At the end of the day, how it feels and how you play with it is more important than how long it lasts. Keep that sentence in context and out of the gutter.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Been using the ultex jazz III's for a bout 2 years now. Bought a bag of 24 back then and still don't notice much wear on them! I find you get more attack from them over the regular nylon ones also. But really you should just buy a small pack of each online, if your local shop doesn't carry them, find which one you prefer, then just order them in bulk. Picks are hardly expensive.
Last edited by gurg06 at Jun 1, 2015,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Max-Grip-Jazz-III-Carbon-Fiber-Guitar-Picks---24-Pack-105933964-i1527411.gc?source=4WWRWXG9&gclid=CjwKEAjwhbCrBRCO7-e7vuXqiT4SJAB2B5u7eTPS6wNVxrqAH4I84icXfSL1jsh5m62Z7U_dEKKCUhoCAsjw_wcB&kwid=dynamicsearchads-device^c-account^Guitar+Center+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-campaign^%5BADL%5D+%5BNon@ADL4Brand%5D+%5BUS%5D+%5BEnhanced%5D+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-adid^72682273813-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

these are carbon fiber jazz III's. they grip really well and last a very long time. i played with a dozen different picks before i tried one of these.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love my JP JazzIII's. I find they transition quicker from string to string smoother than the standard ones, plus the JP logo is raised and helps it stay in your hand longer.

They're very large in comparison to the size of the standard Jazz IIIs though which I dont care for but

i've been using the same 8 picks for a while now, and the only noticeable wear is the polished tips are not as polished anymore. No actual wear really.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I play the jp jazz3 picks and they are great. I find that they are easier to handle than normal jazz3 picks. They seem to have better attack.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right