Im currently looking for a gig amp. Is this a good one? I have a friend trying to sell me his for $350. I have a budget of $500. Is this a good deal or should i look for something else? The onyl type of sound i want is a good rock sound, similar to people like Linkin Park, Slash, Three Days Grace.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Used-Orange-Amplifiers-CR60C-Crush-Pro-60W-1X12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111160724-i4338870.gc
It's not very good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not really. If you need a solid state amp get a Peavey Bandit.
Otherwise a Jet City JCA2212C should be in your budget.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I'm not a fan of bugera, but this is a good deal for a 333 2x12 combo $249
www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-333-212-120w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/j21724004000000?condition=used

It is versatile and sounds good. There is the chance it may have an issue but you should get a warranty with it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by J23L
According to this video it looks pretty decent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluoxbwGj_E

With videos, you need to take them with a grain of salt. That video has lots of production tricks done to the recording, it does not sound like that in real life
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
With videos, you need to take them with a grain of salt. That video has lots of production tricks done to the recording, it does not sound like that in real life

Ok thanks for the advice. As you can probably tell, im new to buying amps. Is there anything specific i should look for when looking for an amp other than its sound? What are the top brands?
On a tight budget, look at Jet City amps.

Orange are a good brand, the Crush is their cheap entry level solid state amp. A lot of manufacturers have kiddy's amps. Marshall has the MG for example. Cheap and nasty pile of crap, sold to children who want to see the Marshall logo. The Crush is Orange's equivalent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
On a tight budget, look at Jet City amps.

Orange are a good brand, the Crush is their cheap entry level solid state amp. A lot of manufacturers have kiddy's amps. Marshall has the MG for example. Cheap and nasty pile of crap, sold to children who want to see the Marshall logo. The Crush is Orange's equivalent.

Ok thanks. I heard that the Marshall MGs were garbage, but i didn't know the Crush series was similar to that.
You could probably find an Orange Tiny Terror used for less than $500 and it will crush the Crush. Jet City are also well regarded in the low price range. Traynor is another Brit amp that will get you in the gig game with solid Brit tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
You could probably find an Orange Tiny Terror used for less than $500 and it will crush the Crush. Jet City are also well regarded in the low price range. Traynor is another Brit amp that will get you in the gig game with solid Brit tone.

You might want to invest in an overdrive too.
See if you can find one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-XV112-/261910072765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb0e8dbd

Look specifically for one of the early '90's versions (rather than the recent reissues). You should be able to find one for under $500. 100W RMS of EL34 power. It's heavy, extremely loud, has active controls, assignable 5-band active graphic equalizer in addition to the channel EQ and comes with either a 100W "British voiced" speaker (as in the Evilbay version ) or with an EV-L. The clean channel is gorgeous. There's a real spring reverb tank and the transformers are serious (this will weigh 75 lbs or so). Most of these come with that Ozite ("mouse fur") exterior, and if you find one with no beer rings and no spots where it's burst into flame, you're on the right track. Blood stains are okay; that just means it's been used in a bar.

You might want to compare this to a Mesa from the same era...
Whilst I'm interested in the head version, the combos aren't really nothing to get excited about.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
It's a decent solidstate/analog amp, but for high gain stuff, it still isn't that great. I just bought a Blackstar HT20 for 500$ new at Guitar Center as part of their Guitar A Tron sale. The Blackstar is good for high gain. Or look used for better tube amps at a lower price. But for high gain, no matter how far they have come, solid state will always be better for cleans-light gain.
Quote by symphonicspeed
It's a decent solidstate/analog amp, but for high gain stuff, it still isn't that great. I just bought a Blackstar HT20 for 500$ new at Guitar Center as part of their Guitar A Tron sale. The Blackstar is good for high gain. Or look used for better tube amps at a lower price. But for high gain, no matter how far they have come, solid state will always be better for cleans-light gain.

Huh?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dspellman
See if you can find one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-XV112-/261910072765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb0e8dbd

Look specifically for one of the early '90's versions (rather than the recent reissues). You should be able to find one for under $500. 100W RMS of EL34 power. It's heavy, extremely loud, has active controls, assignable 5-band active graphic equalizer in addition to the channel EQ and comes with either a 100W "British voiced" speaker (as in the Evilbay version ) or with an EV-L. The clean channel is gorgeous. There's a real spring reverb tank and the transformers are serious (this will weigh 75 lbs or so). Most of these come with that Ozite ("mouse fur") exterior, and if you find one with no beer rings and no spots where it's burst into flame, you're on the right track. Blood stains are okay; that just means it's been used in a bar.

You might want to compare this to a Mesa from the same era...

You really linked a pic of an amp that had 1988 speaker-carpet as the main covering
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by symphonicspeed

in the words of Mr Jefferson
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Used Marshall DSL, Peavey ValveKing may pull it off with some help (tubescreamer). You really have a ton of options.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Used Marshall DSL, Peavey ValveKing may pull it off with some help (tubescreamer). You really have a ton of options.

+1 to the DSL. (probably most slash-y tone)
cheaper would be a valveking (another +1) cheap but not stellar, will need a new speaker, and OD and down the line probably an EQ.
jet city doesn't do too bad for cheap (+1)

if you open your budget a little bit more, you may be able to find one of the cheaper mesas. i have found a liking to some. for example: express 5:25, F-30 or F50, there are other models too but i like them quite a bit.

if you looked REALLY hard and maybe saved a few more pennies you could get a mesa rectoverb 1x12 combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by diabolical
While the Crush is Orange's entry line I'm not ready to concede that they're as bad as the MG. Actually decent ss amps on budget but get something tube for that $.

I actually just got home from my guitar store and bought a tube amp instead of the Orange Crush. Why exactly do more people prefer tube over the solid state amps? I don't understand that.
Last edited by J23L at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by J23L
I actually just got home from my guitar store and bought a tube amp instead. Why exactly do more people prefer tube over the solid state amps? I don't understand that.

In most cases, tube amps sound better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by J23L
I actually just got home from my guitar store and bought a tube amp instead of the Orange Crush. Why exactly do more people prefer tube over the solid state amps? I don't understand that.

Why'd you end up with one?
Quote by diabolical
Why'd you end up with one?

I didn't buy the Crush because everyone was telling me that it was not really good. I went down to my guitar store and asked the guy who worked there about it and he told me that there would be more amps that would better suit my style of playing. We played with about 6 different amps and the one i ended up getting was a Jet City tube that was on sale. Everyone in the store told me it would be miles better than the Orange Crush so i went with that amp.
Quote by J23L
I didn't buy the Crush because everyone was telling me that it was not really good. I went down to my guitar store and asked the guy who worked there about it and he told me that there would be more amps that would better suit my style of playing. We played with about 6 different amps and the one i ended up getting was a Jet City tube that was on sale. Everyone in the store told me it would be miles better than the Orange Crush so i went with that amp.

Could you not hear a difference?

How long have you been playing? I've often noticed that the differences seem to elude novice players, which I suspect is part of the reason that inexpensive SS amps sell so well (price of course being the other primary consideration) but I don't know if that's the case here.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Could you not hear a difference?

How long have you been playing? I've often noticed that the differences seem to elude novice players, which I suspect is part of the reason that inexpensive SS amps sell so well (price of course being the other primary consideration) but I don't know if that's the case here.

I've only been playing for a full year. I hear a very little difference between amps. To be honest, despite everyone saying the Crush was garbage, I thought it sounded pretty decent. The only problem with that amp was when i turned it up the more ugly it sounded. It seemed like a bunch of noise was coming out instead of a good tone. I noticed the Jet City doesn't have that problem. Im new to this, but my ear is definitely getting better.
Quote by J23L
I've only been playing for a full year. I hear a very little difference between amps. To be honest, despite everyone saying the Crush was garbage, I thought it sounded pretty decent. The only problem with that amp was when i turned it up the more ugly it sounded. It seemed like a bunch of noise was coming out instead of a good tone. I noticed the Jet City doesn't have that problem. Im new to this, but my ear is definitely getting better.

Play the Jet City for a few weeks, then go back and try the Crush again. I suspect you'll gain a better understanding at that point.

Don't worry, there are folks here that have vastly better ears than I do and I try to listen to them as regards amps and tone, but once I get to the "it's good enough to gig with" stage, I'm pretty much happy.

I have no interest in, nor illusions about, doing any studio recording, so my needs are simpler than some.

The space between good enough and perfect is a very large money pit.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Play the Jet City for a few weeks, then go back and try the Crush again. I suspect you'll gain a better understanding at that point.

Don't worry, there are folks here that have vastly better ears than I do and I try to listen to them as regards amps and tone, but once I get to the "it's good enough to gig with" stage, I'm pretty much happy.

I have no interest in, nor illusions about, doing any studio recording, so my needs are simpler than some.

The space between good enough and perfect is a very large money pit.

That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind
Quote by J23L

this in a nutshell is the problem with many SS amps and to a degree modellers as well. at low volumes they sound fine but once you turn them up to band volumes they just don't cut it.

i tried the Crush and thought it was ok but way overpriced. in the US Orange stuff is just way to expensive for what you get.

sure you'll be happy with the Jet City enjoy
^ yeah, the "sound not going to crap when turned up " thing is one of the reasons why tubes are considered better. granted, unless you're playing bigger gigs, that might not matter.

tubes tend to cut through better. i don't gig either so I don't know too much about this, but i remember one time i an guitar shop there were some teenagers trying a roland cube or similar and playing really loud (they were clearly just mucking about) and making it hard for me to hear myself. i put up with it for a while but eventually got sick of it. I turned up the engl screamer (tube) i was trying, just very slightly, and as I suspected, it completely buried the cube. then I turned down again. they got the message- "turn down yourself so we can both hear or i can just drown you out."

also tube amps often combine with pedal distortion better, and can also be boosted- i.e. set a (normally overdrive or boost, but anything which can go higher than unity gain will do it) pedal so its volume is higher than your volume with the pedal off, and it'll boost the amp's preamp distortion, which normally sounds great.

Quote by Arby911

(a) Don't worry, there are folks here that have vastly better ears than I do and I try to listen to them as regards amps and tone, but once I get to the "it's good enough to gig with" stage, I'm pretty much happy.

(b) The space between good enough and perfect is a very large money pit.

(a) Agreed (though the problem is, the older you get the worse your ears get so even though you're getting more experience your ears are getting worse I know more about amps now than I did 10 years ago but I trust my ears from 10 years ago more )

(b) definitely
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
These guys have never played a Crush Pro Amp so their opinions don't count. The base it off the Crush series. I have the cr120c and its the best amp you can get IMO
Quote by smith0180
These guys have never played a Crush Pro Amp so their opinions don't count. The base it off the Crush series. I have the cr120c and its the best amp you can get IMO

That's nice...
Charles Darwin
Quote by J23L
Im currently looking for a gig amp. Is this a good one? I have a friend trying to sell me his for $350. I have a budget of $500. Is this a good deal or should i look for something else? The onyl type of sound i want is a good rock sound, similar to people like Linkin Park, Slash, Three Days Grace.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Used-Orange-Amplifiers-CR60C-Crush-Pro-60W-1X12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111160724-i4338870.gc

The best solid state amp I have tried. Not sure about linkin park tone.
I tried this amp in the store and it sounded like cr*p. I had to ckack the gain and the high all the way and it still didn't have enough highs.
But than I tried this in a rehearsal room, it was amazing I had to roll down the high (the speaker was the same I checked, maybe it sounded differently because of the guitar or smth) I like it more than the bandit 112 (everybody has different taste)
Last edited by EY8CC at Aug 14, 2015,
Quote by smith0180

The crush and crush pro series are pretty meh at best, and for the price they cost new, you can get much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by smith0180

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by J23L at #33429100
According to this video it looks pretty decent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluoxbwGj_E

I had no idea it took 2 hours of warming up for a Rocker 30 to sound good
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.