Page 1 of 2
Hi, Ultimate Guitar Community.

I'm a 6 month self taught guitarist and I'm really obsess with guitar at moment. I've been teaching myself drum and piano at the same time. I really obsess with music.

I want to know some or at least most famous self taught guitarist.
I only know that Eric clapton is self taught so anymore pls?
Please tell me that you're not one of those people that has decided that you will never, ever, ever considering taking lessons because you'll be so much cooler if you taught yourself and you want a list to justify your stance. For some people, teaching themselves works fine, but for others, it is a major hindrance and being able to play well is better than being able to say that you are self taught.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Please tell me that you're not one of those people that has decided that you will never, ever, ever considering taking lessons because you'll be so much cooler if you taught yourself and you want a list to justify your stance. For some people, teaching themselves works fine, but for others, it is a major hindrance and being able to play well is better than being able to say that you are self taught.

Haha, so funny. I will take a class next year. But Now I'm already know how to play guitar well. I can solo bend vibrato, play harmonic note, bare chord, listen and solo and more....

What I can't taught myself yet is learning scale, key chord and yes music theory.
Does it really matter which of the famous guitarists were self taught? A lot of rock guitarists were. But that doesn't mean it's the best way for you.

Learning to play the guitar on your own is 100% doable. That doesn't mean lessons couldn't help. Some people figure out proper technique on their own, others need some guidance (and may just learn bad habits by trying to do it alone).

But I think it's a good idea not to start taking lessons from the day one. It's good to figure out some stuff on your own before taking lessons. That way you learn to find out about things on your own and aren't 100% dependent on your teacher. It may also make you more motivated. If you are motivated, you also appreciate the lessons more.

I don't know. I just have this kind of experiences. When I started playing the trumpet, I just listened to my teacher all the time and didn't even think of figuring out any stuff on my own. When I started playing the guitar, I only figured out things on my own. And that motivated me in the beginning. But I think right now I would really benefit from having a teacher. Right now I think I'm more motivated to learn the trumpet than the guitar. But a couple of years ago it was the other way around. I think when your progress is really fast (in the beginning you figure out more and more cool stuff), that keeps you motivated, but after that, when you have figured out the basics, you need something else to keep you motivated. And for me that's when it would have made most sense to start taking lessons.

But yeah, some people never need a teacher. For others, like me, it would be beneficial. I kind of think my technique is good enough, because I can play well enough to record songs, and if I hear a cool riff, I can most likely play it. So I'm not really that motivated in learning a lot of new stuff any more.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Dimebag Darrell was self taught but he had extreme dedication.If you can afford it and are passionate enough get some tutoured lessons.
I think 95% of all pro guitarists will be "self-taught" in that they might have had a few lessons but very few will have followed the traditional graded tuition way.
I sort of count myself as "self-taught" but what I really mean is that I am (75%) Internet taught (thanks Justin, Marty and Dave), I've had about 10 1:1 lessons and had some mates show me a thing or two.

Anyway, why does it matter who is self taught? You do what you have to do to progress.
Quote by sosxradar
Haha, so funny. I will take a class next year. But Now I'm already know how to play guitar well. I can solo bend vibrato, play harmonic note, bare chord, listen and solo and more....

What I can't taught myself yet is learning scale, key chord and yes music theory.

If you've been playing guitar for six months, you really don't already know how to play well. Guitar is a fairly easier instrument to learn (compared to perhaps violin or a reed instrument), but it still takes many years of practice to become skilled at the instrument.

Chances are you probably are not experienced enough at guitar to be able to spot weaknesses in someone's playing (including your own). For example, it is unlikely that somebody playing for six month can bend notes accurately or that their vibrato is smooth and consistent.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
hmm..self taught is a bit of a misnomer .. it implies-no outside influences or sources of information..your example of eric Clapton..again..he had lots of influences in blues and rock..and other musicians/guitarist showed him stuff along the way..(jeff beck for example) learning theory "second hand" may be a more accurate way of describing the process..I did it for a couple of years until I became so frustrated of "not knowing or how to find out" that I wanted a teacher..and a very good one (which I was fortunate enough to locate) and spent two years learning jazz and advanced theory. Now ..to this day I still push myself to learn new things..using the information imparted to me from my teacher and other musicians that have shared knowledge with me.yes I can dissect a G13b9 chord and how to use it and what scales/riffs work against it in different keys..but I was taught how to do that..
play well

wolf
Quote by sosxradar

So...you have no idea when/if/how you are making mistakes and have no one to correct you. Ok, then...

Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on...
I think a self taught guitarist is somebody who hasn't taken any 1 on 1 (or group) lessons. Anybody who hasn't paid a teacher to teach him. Of course you are influenced by everything. But that's exactly what being self taught is about - it is about following your own influences, not having somebody to tell you what to do.

Watching Youtube lessons doesn't mean you aren't self taught. The difference between self taught guitarists and non-self taught guitarists is the fact that self taught guitarists find all the information on their own. They ask about something when they want to know about it. They learn something when they want to learn about it. They don't have anybody to tell them what to do. That's what the difference between taking lessons and being self taught is - on the lessons the teacher can tell you about things that you wouldn't have thought of/wouldn't have been able to ask about. The teacher decides what he wants to teach you. When you are self taught, you decide what you want to learn.

It's kind of the same as going to school vs figuring everything out on your own. Somebody not going to school and figuring anything out on his own is self taught. Of course they can use books, internet, whatever as their source, but they need to figure out how to use them and where to find the information they are looking for. Nobody's their teacher. That's what being self taught means.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by wolflen
hmm..self taught is a bit of a misnomer .. it implies-no outside influences or sources of information..

I don't think it implies it. If you use materials such as recordings, instructional material, written music, etc you are obviously teaching yourself using those materials, the same way that a teacher would make use of those same materials. It's similar to saying that you taught yourself a foreign language or how to fix cars. People aren't just going to assume that teaching yourself to do things like that means that you didn't use instructional sources of any kind.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't think it implies it. If you use materials such as recordings, instructional material, written music, etc you are obviously teaching yourself using those materials, the same way that a teacher would make use of those same materials. It's similar to saying that you taught yourself a foreign language or how to fix cars. People aren't just going to assume that teaching yourself to do things like that means that you didn't use instructional sources of any kind.

learning theory "second hand" may be a more accurate way of describing the process..

how bout that..
play well

wolf
Why people so negative about me? six month is pretty damn long. I'm so motivated that my mom want to destroy my guitar that I bought for 75$. The first thing I do was how to set up guitar right. I even put chim in the neck of my guitar since last 3 month. I taught myself so much about key progression and yes I can solo any song by ear because I just feel it and understand the fretboard.
And justin guitar lesson was really bored and can't even keep me on motivation.

The thing I learnt by self was:
1. Set up guitar
2. Learn Major Chord
3. Learn barre chord (This is where I almost lose all motivation
4. Learn solo scale, Key chord.
5. learn music theory and ETC.....
I'm not the type of people who get into a music by parent or fri. I get into music by hearth and my inspire song was from Slash and the Beatles call Something and While my guitar genlty weeps.
And I ask this question is because I need inspiration and need to know more famous guitarist.

How do you guy get into guitar? By parent? or just want to look cool then F*** off and don't argue with me.
So basically you want to know if you fit in with a certain demographic, a certain celebrity demographic in order to give yourself more hope and motivation?

Look dude, this forum is pretty hostile. It's a damn fact, I mentioned TOOL has complex melodies and some dude jumped at me for no goddamn reason and told me they cant write for shit. Opinions aside that's just the type of people here, mostly hostile. I'd use curse words but I dont want to get banned for describing what the population here seems like.

Honestly, you were better off Googling "Famous self taught guitarists", I am pretty sure Hendrix fits into that category.

I am not trying to be negative or destroy your motivation, I am just giving you a heads up. People on forums....they are usually not nice.

Note: I am talking about UG in general not this specific subforum.

Also, being self taught can work, but trust me. Taking lessons is better. For one good reason, there will always be a guy there telling you when you're "doing it wrong", And unlike in here he'll try to be a half decent human being about it.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jun 4, 2015,
Quote by sosxradar
Why people so negative about me? six month is pretty damn long. I'm so motivated that my mom want to destroy my guitar that I bought for 75$. The first thing I do was how to set up guitar right. I even put chim in the neck of my guitar since last 3 month. I taught myself so much about key progression and yes I can solo any song by ear because I just feel it and understand the fretboard.

The thing I learnt by self was:
1. Set up guitar
2. Learn Major Chord
3. Learn barre chord (This is where I almost lose all motivation
4. Learn solo scale, Key chord.
5. learn music theory and ETC.....
I'm not the type of people who get into a music by parent or fri. I get into music by hearth and my inspire song was from Slash and the Beatles call Something and While my guitar genlty weeps.

6 months is not a long time when it comes to playing an instrument. It just isn't.

I don't think people are being negative. They are just giving reasons why you should take lessons. Yes, it may seem a bit harsh, but it's pretty usual that at 6 months you are not really able to tell if you actually sound good. And also, we have had a lot of threads where people try to argue how self taught guitarists are better and why you shouldn't take lessons "because Slash".
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Guitar0player
So basically you want to know if you fit in with a certain demographic, a certain celebrity demographic in order to give yourself more hope and motivation?

Look dude, this forum is pretty hostile. It's a damn fact, I mentioned TOOL has complex melodies and some dude jumped at me for no goddamn reason and told me they cant write for shit. Opinions aside that's just the type of people here, mostly hostile. I'd use curse words but I dont want to get banned for describing what the population here seems like.

Honestly, you were better off Googling "Famous self taught guitarists", I am pretty sure Hendrix fits into that category.

I am not trying to be negative or destroy your motivation, I am just giving you a heads up. People on forums....they are usually not nice.

Note: I am talking about UG in general not this specific subforum.

Also, being self taught can work, but trust me. Taking lessons is better. For one good reason, there will always be a guy there telling you when you're "doing it wrong", And unlike in here he'll try to be a half decent human being about it.

Most of us aren't hostile at all but we can get crabby at times, and burned out. Sam's a good guy, and as someone that's taught others to play Tool songs, I respect them, and I think they can write. So, even band opinions are subjective.

My problem is, when someone comes and asks but they didn't come to listen. But I don't sweat it anymore. I figure out pretty quickly who can and cant be helped. When people come with questions, but are so full of their own ideas, that they can't hear the answers, unless it matches what they want to hear, you're pretty much done.

Leave em to the wind and that point, and wait another year until they've figured out they really ARE going about it the wrong way, and they are finally lost enough to allow themselves to be led.

And many of us are a little weary of the attempts at justification about not knowing theory, by invoking arguments involving highly functional self taught guitarists. Let it go already, dude. Because you'll never hear someone that knows theory argue on how its not useful since "insert guitar player here" didn't know theory.

Only people that don't know it, have the compulsion to argue it, as if to reassure themselves. Usually we see it as a sign of laziness and lack of motivation/discipline. Which is fine, but then call it what it is. Don't come in here and try to get us to support that justification.

That makes sense right?

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 4, 2015,
Quote by Sean0913
Most of us aren't hostile at all but we can get crabby at times, and burned out. Sam's a good guy, and as someone that's taught others to play Tool songs, I respect them, and I think they can write. So, even band opinions are subjective.

My problem is, when someone comes and asks but they didn't come to listen. But I don't sweat it anymore. I figure out pretty quickly who can and cant be helped. When people come with questions, but are so full of their own ideas, that they can't hear the answers, unless it matches what they want to hear, you're pretty much done.

Leave em to the wind and that point, and wait another year until they've figured out they really ARE going about it the wrong way, and they are finally lost enough to allow themselves to be led.

And many of us are a little weary of the attempts at justification about not knowing theory, by invoking arguments involving highly functional self taught guitarists. Let it go already, dude. Because you'll never hear someone that knows theory argue on how its not useful since "insert guitar player here" didn't know theory.

Only people that don't know it, have the compulsion to argue it, as if to reassure themselves. Usually we see it as a sign of laziness and lack of motivation/discipline. Which is fine, but then call it what it is. Don't come in here and try to get us to support that justification.

That makes sense right?

Best,

Sean

Where stands the line between argument and e-dick stroking?

You know, you are probably right. I guess it's like working with retail and having to deal with the same ****ing ******s every single day. I had a job like that and it made me miserable. It affected my attitude, to the worse of course.

Also, I am not excluding myself out of said ******s. I try to suck up what I can but sometimes I just cant suck enough.

Now to wait patiently for the wise guys to make jokes about the statement above.

Also, retard is a curse word now?
Last edited by Guitar0player at Jun 4, 2015,
An old Zen story:

There was a Japanese university professor who arranged to meet with a martial arts master to learn about the master’s philosophy of Zen and martial arts. It was obvious to the master from the start of their conversation that the professor was not so much interested in learning about the master’s philosophy as much as impressing the master with his own opinions and knowledge. The master listened patiently and finally suggested that they sit down and have tea. The professor continued to talk about his own experiences and ideas while the master silently poured his visitors cup full –then kept pouring. The professor finally stopped talking. He watched as the cup overflowed until he could no longer restrain himself. “The cup is overfull, no more will go in!” he exclaimed.
“Like this cup,” the master said, “you are full of your own ideas and opinions. Before I can teach you anything new, you must first empty your cup to make room for new thoughts and ideas.”

This simple story reminds us all that when we get impatient with learning a new method or technique of doing something, you first need to take a moment to empty your cup to make room for new ideas.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
An old Zen story:

There was a Japanese university professor who arranged to meet with a martial arts master to learn about the master’s philosophy of Zen and martial arts. It was obvious to the master from the start of their conversation that the professor was not so much interested in learning about the master’s philosophy as much as impressing the master with his own opinions and knowledge. The master listened patiently and finally suggested that they sit down and have tea. The professor continued to talk about his own experiences and ideas while the master silently poured his visitors cup full –then kept pouring. The professor finally stopped talking. He watched as the cup overflowed until he could no longer restrain himself. “The cup is overfull, no more will go in!” he exclaimed.
“Like this cup,” the master said, “you are full of your own ideas and opinions. Before I can teach you anything new, you must first empty your cup to make room for new thoughts and ideas.”

This simple story reminds us all that when we get impatient with learning a new method or technique of doing something, you first need to take a moment to empty your cup to make room for new ideas.

I will cherish that little story if you dont mind.
Quote by sosxradar
Why people so negative about me? six month is pretty damn long.

So wait you didn't finish the initial beginner course on Justin's website because it was "boring"? Well guess what dude the beginning stages of learning the guitar is boring.. That's why the majority of people that pick up the instrument end up quitting. The basics in guitar is the foundation to everything that's about to come. Doing the advance techniques is just doing the basics well. It gets me thinking can you even play in time correctly if you haven't even learned the basics? Can you actually strum a 3 chord progression half way decent without losing your sense of time, and actually make it sound musically coherent?

By the way 6 months isn't a long time that's when you're just starting to get comfortable with the instrument it self. It's hard to believe the things that you've posted if you don't have an actual video to back it up for purposes of proof. My post might come off as a bit harsh, but I've seen plenty of people come on here posting about the same exact things that you've written. Then when they post a video on whatever forum everything isn't how they say it is..

If I were you I'd go back, and actually finish the course or you're just wasting your time bouncing around back, and forth learning useless things that you don't even understand nor can implement in a "musical situation". Later down the road you might quit because you haven't learned properly if you keep continuing down this road.
hello , im in the fifth year now of playing guitar , i learned the ;
chords - scales - key signatures - modes - bunch of solos and licks - how to read music - im into the blues now

im addicted to guitar , that ive learned english to understand youtube videos and books

i live in a place where there is no teachers and visa to pay online onces

and i love doing this ( learning alone ) , but a teacher would be a great idea ,

not just to ask him about technical stuff ,

just to see a dude with a long journey of guitar playing in front of you ,

that would be great ,

because you can analyse how he thinks , or feel ,

and even steal licks from his playing without even asking him anything ,

what im trying to say , self learning is a cool thing ,
( i would take classes if i could )

but you should set down with an experienced dude to get inspired ,
( while you have the possibility )

and focus on what you have ; your freedom , ears

( and cool guys in this forum that would help you just for the sake of music )

while no one is screaming every day in you ears ( do that and that )

i hope you got what i said , best wishes
Last edited by aselfmman at Jun 4, 2015,
Quote by aselfmman
hello , im in the fifth year now of playing guitar , i learned the ;
chords - scales - key signatures - modes - bunch of solos and licks - how to read music - im into the blues now

im addicted to guitar , that ive learned english to understand youtube videos and books

i live in a place where there is no teachers and visa to pay online onces

and i love doing this ( learning alone ) , but a teacher would be a great idea ,

not just to ask him about technical stuff ,

just to see a dude with a long journey of guitar playing in front of you ,

that would be great ,

because you can analyse how he thinks , or feel ,

and even steal licks from his playing without even asking him anything ,

what im trying to say , self learning is a cool thing ,
( i would take classes if i could )

but you should set down with an experienced dude to get inspired ,
( while you have the possibility )

and focus on what you have ; your freedom , ears

( and cool guys in this forum that would help you just for the sake of music )

while no one is screaming every day in you ears ( do that and that )

i hope you got what i said , best wishes

I do, and good points - that's a pretty good attitude to have about it. I mean that's what we pretty much do, but some people want to start running before they learn to walk.

Best,

Sean
Quote by sosxradar

If you've only been playing guitar for 6 months then you don't play guitar well. Just because you can bend a string doesn't mean you're good
Quote by sosxradar
Why people so negative about me? six month is pretty damn long.

Six years isn't even really that long on an instrument. Nobody is being negative here. You're just throwing that around because you don't like hearing that you are probably not as good as you think you are and you have not yet gained enough familiarity with the instrument to be able to realize your weaknesses. We're not being negative, just realistic.
Quote by Rickholly74
An old Zen story:

I always stay hungry. I just asking opinion because I need to know more and people here are really mean to me.
And this story has been told almost 20 time and my teacher always ask me to stand up and say " I EMPTY MY CUP "
Quote by sosxradar
I always stay hungry. I just asking opinion because I need to know more and people here are really mean to me.
And this story has been told almost 20 time and my teacher always ask me to stand up and say " I EMPTY MY CUP "

No one has been mean to you here. People are simply pointing out some of the flaws that comes with being a self-taught player, because in your initial posts you come off as you want to justify being self-taught.

Being self-taught is fine, i was self-taught for the first 4 years of playing guitar. But when i went into high school and studied at a music program, i quickly noticed from my peers playing and the advice of my teachers that i had formed a lot of bad habits out of teaching myself. I thought i knew how to practice, i thought i knew how to play well, i thought i understood theory, i thought i had good technique. But i didn't, because i didn't have anyone there to correct the mistakes i made during the learning process.

Being a self-taught player is fine, but is better to teach yourself after you have gotten the fundamentals down with a teacher. After my three years in high school i had fixed my bad habits and was properly taught how to approach things, so i was able to teach myself from that point and eventually got into college for music. If i had not been given that help by a professional teacher i would never have been able to pursue music professionally.

Also, don't tell people to F*** off as you did in post #14, that is going to make people respond in a rude manner to you.

Best Regards,
Sickz.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by MaggaraMarine

But I think it's a good idea not to start taking lessons from the day one. It's good to figure out some stuff on your own before taking lessons. That way you learn to find out about things on your own and aren't 100% dependent on your teacher. It may also make you more motivated. If you are motivated, you also appreciate the lessons more.

Good point
^You know what the real issue is?

There is no cup. Stop arbitrarily putting things into a box, or thinking there's a series of tasks X that you must master to win at music. Just play guitar and work on being better than you were yesterday, and seek out everyone and learn from them.

Even the people who you think are worse than you. Especially them.

I've been playing non-stop for almost 8 years (well, THERE goes all my credibility around here...) and fully recognize the scope of my idiocy on the instrument.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Guitar seems to be the most common instrument on which people are self taught. Maybe it's because we have the luxury of tablature and chord boxes, so no need to read music in order to be able to play the instrument.
^It's because its a purposeless instrument, and thus the "way" (or lack thereof) to play the guitar is solely reflective upon the musician's own creative path and goals.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I don't wanna end up like two of my friend who playing for several year and yet he say "It's hard to find key of song and only those prof can do it with their ear" and I was like why this kind of people learn music? They even tell me to learn to read music first before start picking any instrument @@.
Yet, I didn't find his taste in music and It like he care nothing about music at all just becase his family force him to learn it. He look so prof but uncompare when talking about theory and thing relate to guitar stuff. how can someone so good at instrument don't know the Type of Guitar like Gibson or les paul and don't even know any famous guitarist, no inspire and 0 music taste.
How can this people exist to play instrument just for what?
It's hard to argue here. You guy look at me as a pre-beginner. I didn't call myself a PROF but at least I love music and obsess with my guitar than someone here who act like I'm a dumb one. (I don't want to point your name just read this)
I'm sure you may be very good for only having played for 6 months, especially if you really enjoy the instrument and feel motivated to learn. Some people just don't really enjoy playing for whatever reason and end up not pushing themselves. I was one of those players that got really into and got good really quickly. When more experienced guitarists heard how long I'd been playing they would act surprised that it was so short a time. But, when it comes down to it, and the point that these guys are trying to make is that at that stage of playing, no matter how good you are relative to the amount of time, there's a LOT of room for growth in all areas of your playing and knowledge, as well as plenty of room for stagnation if you let it. They may be coming off as downing your abilities and sound like dicks, but they're just trying to let you know that there's definitely a lot more to learn. They don't want you to go down the path of thinking that learning from a teacher is useless because (insert famous guitarist) was self taught.

I thought I was hot shit after 6 months or a year of playing, and I may have been respective to the amount of time I'd been playing, but looking back even a couple of years later (or now 10 years later) I was still an amateur. Of course, the journey never truly ends with learning music or an instrument, but these guys are just trying to let you know that you're still at the beginning and to be open to learning.
Quote by mdc
Guitar seems to be the most common instrument on which people are self taught. Maybe it's because we have the luxury of tablature and chord boxes, so no need to read music in order to be able to play the instrument.

It's more because a) it's arguably the most widely played instrument in the English speaking world and b) because it is a relatively easy instrument to learned being that it is both a fixed pitch (so intonation is not as difficult as a fiddle or steel guitar) and plucked string instrument (no bow or double reeds to wrestle with) and not the most involved physically (you finger notes and pick, and both hands are semi-codependent, compared to an accordion which has two independent hand parts plus bellows; pipes which have fingerings notes, inflating the bag, and pushing air from the bag to the pipes; pedal steel which has picking and using a bar, intensive blocking with every part of both hand, pedals to change pitch, volume pedal, and knee levers (and it's continuous pitch); organ Wichita needs two independent hand parts, independent feet parts on the pedal, and volume pedal; etc).
Quote by theogonia777
Six years isn't even really that long on an instrument. Nobody is being negative here. You're just throwing that around because you don't like hearing that you are probably not as good as you think you are and you have not yet gained enough familiarity with the instrument to be able to realize your weaknesses. We're not being negative, just realistic.

For sure, after 7-8 years I still feel like a complete dufus even if I probably am not actually a dufus.
With access to the internet being "self-taught" is not what it used to be, and I reckon that's great. A wealth of free advice at your fingertips.

I'm gonna back away before I say "when I was your age" and sound like an old person.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For what it's worth, there might be like a dozen self taught guitarists that got famous for being really good at guitar, while there are literally thousands of trained professional guitarists you've never heard of who make a living at it. The numbers are pretty dismal, really. Player who really want to play at that level need to get knowledge any way they can, and sitting down with your favorite albums is just one of the many ways.
Playing/learning guitar isn't a competition. Teaching yourself how to play doesn't mean you're better than someone who's had lessons. Figure things out by yourself, but asking someone for help/advice/tips isn't a sign of "defeat". There are many many guitar players who are better than you, regardless of how they got that good.
What does self taught even mean? Does that mean you have never listened to music before and picked up the guitar and just figured out your own way of playing it? Because listening to music is learning from other people. Looking up information at the library or on the internet is learning from other people. Watching Paul Gilbert talk about picking exercises is learning from other people. Going to junior college and playing in jazz band or even taking a music theory class is learning from other people and so is taking a 1 on 1 private lesson. So to answer your question, none that I have ever heard of. If your real question is is it possible to be a professional guitar player without forking out money for private lessons? Yes totally, you just have to be determined and look into everything there is on your own. I am doing just fine I think for someone who hasnt had more than 1 really lame private music lesson from my semi local junior college about how to properly hold the acoustic guitar and where to position your wrists. You just gotta want to learn adn you will be fine
Page 1 of 2