So I've owned by (used) Kustom '72 Coupe amp for a few years now and I absolutely love the blues and rock vibe I get from the two channels, respectively. HOWEVER, I cannot manage to get any distortion or overdrive pedal to function "properly" through either channel. I've tried the SansAmp GT2, a Vox Satchurator, a BOSS MetalZone, an Empress Multidrive, and now a Metal Pedals Hard Core XXX. Every pedal I try - no matter how much I work to clean-up channel 1 - sound like crap. It's muddy and sounds like there is a real loose bottom, and most of these pedals are the exact opposite of that sound profile. I invested in a lot of good cables and a foot switch to wire all these pedals through the effects loop to avoid the preamp and that works "pretty good", but every manufacturer is telling me that it has to be something with the amp because these pedals are designed to go into the front of the amp.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something with the '72 Coupe that causes this naturally, or do I have a bad amp? Any assistance would be really helpful. Thanks!
that's weird. as you said, dirt pedals are designed to go into the front of the amp.

i haven't tried pedals through your amp so this is kind of educated (not terribly educated ) guessing on my part.

- do you have the bright switch on on your clean channel? that can make most dirt pedals sound fizzy on the top end.

- have you tried an eq pedal? using one after a dirt pedal can let you tweak its tone pretty well.

- maybe trying pedals which are known to cut bass might be a good idea (e.g. tubescreamer, boss sd1, pro co rat, etc.)

- maybe the stock speakers are very much voiced towards the amp's own tone (or towards cleans) and maybe just don't sound good with dirt pedals. granted, swapping speakers is a fairly drastic solution and I wouldn't do it unless you were sure the speakers were the problem.

- obviously without seeing your amp I can't discount the fact there's something wrong. plus some amps just don't take pedals so well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the 36' coupe 112, and that guy loved pedals!

First thing I would do would be swap out that POS Eminence KEI speaker, and put a Cannabis Rex (or Vintage 30) in there. If you think it sounds good now, it'll sound 150% better with the c-rex. The KEI is probably the thinnest speaker I've ever heard, with the sharpest high end.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Red . . .

Do you know the specs on the KEI speakers in the '72 Coupe cab? I started looking into the Eminence CR's and I think there are a couple different ones depending on the Ohms and handling of the speaker. I also saw a few others on the Eminence site that looked interesting as well. Curious what it is about that speaker that makes you think it is the right replacement? I play all kinds of music including pop, standards, classic rock, blues and hard rock. If I am going to consider the expense of better speakers, I need to do this only once as funds are low!

Thanks for your help,
Marty
I can't say for sure that its the perfect speaker for the amp, but when I was looking into it, It seemed that everyone online was pointing me torwards the Tone tubby 40-40, which from what I had researched is a more expensive version of the C-Rex (for the most part). They both have hemp cones, making them pretty efficient.

So I kinda took a gamble and said f it and spent $90 on a 16ohm c-rex to see what its all about. I bought it from L&M so I could bring it back if I thought it was a POS. I absolutely fell in love with it. The bottom end was so full, while it rounded out the top end, getting rid of the harsh ice-pick like treble. And the mids are very pronounced.

The difference between the two on the web site are that 1 is 16ohm, while the other is 8ohm. Either will work, as the Koupe has a selectable impedance, but I'd go for the 16ohm, as it may come in handy if you reuse it in another cab down the road.

Edit: The V30 also sounded good. It had a tighter bottom end, and a little harsher top end; but still very nice. More modern sounding. If you're going to go that route, try the WGS Veteran 30.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H