I have an original Peavey 5150 head and I'm wondering what cabinet would be good to pair it with, preferably something I can get second hand to keep the cost down. Something with Celestion Vintage 30s would be ideal, this video pretty much demonstrates the sound I'm going for

https://youtu.be/Am8sjZxeTy0.

The Harley Benton Vintage amps have been recommended previously, but with this being a Chinese-made, own-brand company I'm having reservations with going and getting one straight off. Can anyone who's owned one of these shed some light on how they sound?
I own one.

They sound good.
If you wanna keep the cost down these are the best choice.

Among the ones I've heard, the cheapest cab that uses the same speakers and sounds better goes for twice the money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by MCmnbvgyuio
The Harley Benton Vintage amps have been recommended previously, but with this being a Chinese-made, own-brand company I'm having reservations with going and getting one straight off. Can anyone who's owned one of these shed some light on how they sound?

If you're talking about the HB G212 Vintage I expect it sounds like every other 2x12 cab with v30's. I can't speak to the G212 with house-brand speakers.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

It's a wooden box, I'm not sure manufacturing location is particularly relevant.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 1, 2015,
Look for used Carvin Legacy or Line6 Spider VALVE (must be VALVE) cabs. They are some of the under the radar cabs with V30s stock.

I also bet the Mesa Traditional cabs would be awesome as well but they will be way more.

If you want new, go Harley Benton if in Europe.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Carvin V212 Cab with their speaker upgrade. American made, around $400; shipping would be the only issue (1-2 weeks with the v30 upgrade)

I have one and the bottom end sounds great. You can also detach a small part of the back to make it sound more like an open cab.
I run my 6505 through a Peavey XXX cab. I have the stock Sheffield XXX speakers mixed with G12t-75's in an X pattern. I like it just fine. The XXX speaker is somewhat similar to a Vintage 30 as far as being a mid heavy speaker. I compared one against a Vintage 30 that I use in a closed-back single 12 cab and couldn't discern a large enough difference to justify replacing the Sheffields with 30's.

Budget and location would help. Are you looking for a 4x12 or something smaller? Orange cabs pair nicely with the 5150/6505 amps - but they are pricey. Same thing goes with Mesa cabs - nice match with Peavey heads, but pricey. Carvin cabs can be found very cheap on the used market (I picked up a used MTS 4x12 for $139 for the heck of it) - even if you can't find a legacy, you might like the British speakers (as far as I am aware, they are re-badge Legend GB128 speakers from eminence, which are greenbackish). Some Crate Blue Voodoo cabs came stock with Vintage 30's and can be found fairly cheap as well. The Line 6 spider valve cab recommendation is a good one as well as some did come with Vintage 30 speakers.

The biggest thing is that when you buy used, ask to open the cab up and see what speakers are in it. If you can't look, ask them to look. Just because a cab came stock with a certain speaker - that doesn't mean those speakers are in there anymore. Stores don't always check what is actually in the cab. If someone has changed the speakers to a different set up - you could end up running the wrong ohm setting or overpowering speakers. Or you could end up paying for something that should come with celestions and finding out you got burned - which is what you really want to avoid doing.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jun 1, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
I own one.

They sound good.
If you wanna keep the cost down these are the best choice.

Among the ones I've heard, the cheapest cab that uses the same speakers and sounds better goes for twice the money.

+1

Not saying you can't get better... but you'll struggle to get better (new) without paying a lot more money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
damn i wish i could get the harley benton cabs for that cheap. its practiclly the same (or is) as what a pair of V30's cost.

it was just brought up the other day, but keep in mine that V30's take a LONG time to break in. they won't sound good for a while.

Sheffield speakers are terrible, i had a cab with them for a while. i got rid of it and landed on an even better deal.

Orange followed by Mesa are my favorite cabs to pick up used. also if you want a cab with K85's peavey had them in some cabs in the early 90's (just a guess) i had three, kept one intact and took the speakers out of the others and sold the cabs unloaded. they aren't bad cabs though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Anyone have any experience with the Randall RS412XLT? It has British-made Celestion V30s and I'd be inclined to think that the build quality/sound would be better from a better known brand. How much of an impact does the rest of the amp (other than speakers) have on the overall tone?
Quote by MCmnbvgyuio
Anyone have any experience with the Randall RS412XLT? It has British-made Celestion V30s and I'd be inclined to think that the build quality/sound would be better from a better known brand. How much of an impact does the rest of the amp (other than speakers) have on the overall tone?

It's.

A.

Wooden.

Box.

There is no magic there.

I note that apparently some Randall RS412XLT's came with G12-T75's, so make sure you're getting what you want.
Charles Darwin
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Sheffield speakers are terrible, i had a cab with them for a while. i got rid of it and landed on an even better deal.

Which Sheffield speakers did you have? Not all Sheffield speakers are created equal, as anyone who ever owned a 5150 cab will tell you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Arby911
It's.

A.

Wooden.

Box.

There is no magic there.

I note that apparently some Randall RS412XLT's came with G12-T75's, so make sure you're getting what you want.

Not necessarily. The dimensions and baffling of the cabinet impact the tone. Traditional vs. Oversized Mesa come to mind offhand.

Could I tell the difference blind? Maybe so though. Never had a chance to A/B them personally.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Not necessarily. The dimensions and baffling of the cabinet impact the tone. Traditional vs. Oversized Mesa come to mind offhand.

Could I tell the difference blind? Maybe so though. Never had a chance to A/B them personally.

Yeah, there are some small differences, but most 4x12's aren't / weren't acoustically "designed", they were simply built to fit 4 12 inch speakers and not rattle too much.

The story goes that Marshall's original 4x12 was designed to fit 4 speakers and take one sheet of ply to build, no more and no less. The great majority of cabs since then have basically followed that model.

Agreed that the oversized Mesa is an exception.

We often attribute characteristics to things that simply don't exist.
Charles Darwin
Quote by ThunderPunk
Which Sheffield speakers did you have? Not all Sheffield speakers are created equal, as anyone who ever owned a 5150 cab will tell you.

it was 10 years ago. it was with a VK, but it wasn't the VK cab. i don't remember what cab exactly, it was a long time ago. i traded it for a line 6 cab (cheap cab, but it did have British T75's) maybe you should try some different speakers/cabs and see what is out there. what matters is you like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There are a ton of Jet City 2x12's that come stock with V30's that are going dirt cheap on some clearance sites.
Quote by JustRooster
There are a ton of Jet City 2x12's that come stock with V30's that are going dirt cheap on some clearance sites.

What clearance sites are you looking at?

Other than that, the only question that remains is, 2x12 vs 4x12. Are the extra 2 speakers worth it for roughly the same price? Does the practicality of a 212 come before the power of a 412? Opinions?
Quote by MCmnbvgyuio
What clearance sites are you looking at?

Other than that, the only question that remains is, 2x12 vs 4x12. Are the extra 2 speakers worth it for roughly the same price? Does the practicality of a 212 come before the power of a 412? Opinions?

2x12

Or...Buy a 4x12, cut it in half and sell the other 2 speakers to defray the cost. Or build 2 2x12's with a couple of boards, a little tolex and another input jack.

For carrying around / gigging with? 2x12 all day every day. No question.
Charles Darwin
The answer to the 2x12 or 4x12 debate depends on some factors. How much space do you have in your living quarters? Can you transport a 4x12 cab? If you have extra space and are able to transport a 4x12 - then it comes down to weight. Since 4x12 cabs roll on casters, that isn't a big deal until you have to go up or down stairs.

My suggestion, buy whatever best fits your budget and needs at this time - and save up for the other later on. After you get both, you could put a 2x12 on top of a 4x12 (straight cab) and have an epic 6x12 rig.
Thank you so much for your advice guys, its gone a long way to hopefully building a great rig