So this is something i wrote in a day, made a drum track and just improvised riffs over it, in an effort to improve my recording/mixing/mastering skills. So it's not the most polished piece, the aim was to make something that's fun to listen to rather than a technical tour-de-force.

https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/improv-mm

Any criticism is welcome.

Link me to what you want heard, will definitely listen and critique

EDIT:
Since people are still checking this out, listen to this instead of the above, same track, but with some post production work.
https://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/orange-ppc-and-xcomp7

Keep on rolling with the critiques, I'm C4Cing in all your respective threads. Sorry if I have been a little slow with replies, been really sick lately.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 19, 2015,
Well, holy shet, that intro is brutal. A bit muddy, and incomprehensible, but brutal. The song really picks up when it gets to the first riff after the intro which is a nice riff. The one after that, with the tremolo picked part is even better, actually a great part. The song continues to stay strong after that with some great leads, however the riff at about 2:00 isn't really my favourite, I think that you didn't choose the best notes for a tremolo picked part like that. But that is a matter of taste though. All in all it's a really nice song, especially for an improvised one.

The major criticism I have is that you have way too much bass and gain pumped through that guitar. It sounds too muddy, plain and simple. I'm not sure if there was a bass track, but if there was I had no idea. It was also a pretty compressed piece, you could use some dynamics here and there. But that's not easy to control with an improvised track, I know. Not bad at all though.
I'm gonna type as I listen.

Really nice death metal feel to that intro, although the guitar tone is slightly muddy. The riff that comes in around 0:30 is complemented really nicely by the drums in the background, and I'm a big fan of the string part that comes in. I think your rhythm tone could be improved by brightening the sound slightly at the high end. The lead tone is nice and sleek. Really nice tremolo picking technique, it sounds really accurate. The section after sounds kinda proggy, which I really dig, and again the drums really fit what you're doing there. I'm not sure what strings you're using, but I'm thinking that a higher gauge might improve the muddiness of the tone?

Overall a solid piece considering it was all improvised, I like it!

If you wouldn't mind, I have quite a stylistically different piece I'd like you to check out: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678103

Nice work!
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by Kevätuhri
Well, holy shet, that intro is brutal. A bit muddy, and incomprehensible, but brutal. The song really picks up when it gets to the first riff after the intro which is a nice riff. The one after that, with the tremolo picked part is even better, actually a great part. The song continues to stay strong after that with some great leads, however the riff at about 2:00 isn't really my favourite, I think that you didn't choose the best notes for a tremolo picked part like that. But that is a matter of taste though. All in all it's a really nice song, especially for an improvised one.

The major criticism I have is that you have way too much bass and gain pumped through that guitar. It sounds too muddy, plain and simple. I'm not sure if there was a bass track, but if there was I had no idea. It was also a pretty compressed piece, you could use some dynamics here and there. But that's not easy to control with an improvised track, I know. Not bad at all though.

Haha, I'm happy to hear I got that vibe right. I'm happy it sounded good to you

So you feel the tremolo picked bit doesn't really gel well with the rest of the track?

And yeah, I also got the same feeling regarding the gain, thing is, I expected it to clean up with some mixing, didn't think it was that muddy at first. And yeah, there IS a bass track, the guitar is tuned to F# standard, the bass is octaved, one track playing on the same octave as the guitar, and another playing an octave below that, I did that because i noticed on my headphones that the F#0 bassline was very thunderous, but didnt have much definition to the attack, so I raised the dry volume on the pitch shifter, to a rough 60:40 wet:dry split.

I also used a Triple Recto model. I know, I know, i have a thing for rectos, and each time I think i'll use a tighter 5150 model or something, I think, I want recto, and boom, pile of fizz and mud

Quote by Hakoon1
I'm gonna type as I listen.

Really nice death metal feel to that intro, although the guitar tone is slightly muddy. The riff that comes in around 0:30 is complemented really nicely by the drums in the background, and I'm a big fan of the string part that comes in. I think your rhythm tone could be improved by brightening the sound slightly at the high end. The lead tone is nice and sleek. Really nice tremolo picking technique, it sounds really accurate. The section after sounds kinda proggy, which I really dig, and again the drums really fit what you're doing there. I'm not sure what strings you're using, but I'm thinking that a higher gauge might improve the muddiness of the tone?

Overall a solid piece considering it was all improvised, I like it!

If you wouldn't mind, I have quite a stylistically different piece I'd like you to check out: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678103

Nice work!

Adding high end also ends up adding fizz, bad choice of amp model I guess
The lead tone is a result of one of my rare bright moments, its become my go to patch for leads sounds deliciously liquid on the neck pickup.

I'm using a 74 for tje low F# because thats the thickest I can find, DaDDario EXL 140-8, 10-74 set. I've considered using a bass 80 for it, but I dont want a big ass bass ball end sticking out of the guitar, and circle K strings are extremely expensive to ship here, about 40$ shipping alone.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

So you feel the tremolo picked bit doesn't really gel well with the rest of the track?

Well, I don't really know, I just feel like the last note of the melody was a bit off and didn't fit the feel. But as I said it's a matter of taste and a personal opinion and it might not be a valid criticism. Just a thought
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Hey man. This sounds awesome!

I love the heaviness of the sound. The riffs are cool even though they may not be all that technical. The build up to the end was the only part that was a little bit of a let down, but as it was written in such a short space of time I can understand it being less than perfect for the whole piece

Whatever the synth part is that comes in at around 1:00 it sounds really good - it's subtle but gives the whole thing a kinda dark, forboding feel. The lead tone is cool as well (reminded me of the Burn My Eyes era Machine Head sound), although it wold have been nice to see that aspect develop a little more.

I really enjoyed listening to this. I hope you come back with some more soon.

If you fancy a bit of C4C, heres my stuff https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677842

Cheers
Hey man,

Thanks for sharing this post with us.

This is an interesting rhythmic track. The first 30 seconds reminded me of Dethklok and Dying Fetus. Some of the later sections in here also remind me of Meshuggah. Did you do the rhythm parts in one take? If so, that's pretty sweet. It would be cool if there was a little more lead playing here. Regarding the mix, I felt that the drums and cymbals were sitting a little low.

Here are some of the moments which caught my attention in this track:

0:30 The "djent" tone caught me a little bit by surprise as the intro almost sounded like old school death metal. That was an interesting transition!

0:55 The drum run and guitar riff interact very well here.

2:12 I enjoyed the transition here.

Can you check out my track "Where is Everybody?" https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678177
Sounds like old school death. Very nice and heavy into. ****ing heavy man. The drum intro is spot on. I am guessing they are programmed though?

The part where the guitar with the delay comes in is delicious and the solos are just amazing but seem to end abruptly.

The "breakdown" is very nice though, this could be an excellent part of a video game soundtrack. Now for some reason I want synths in the background of certain parts.

The dissonant chord choices are ****ing awesome I can tell you that, basically for what it is this track seems almost flawless, or maybe I just dont know enough.

C4C?:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677696
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Really nice production man, the intro sounds very like Slipknot. There are some really nice riffs here, especially the !:00 section with the tremolo guitar in the background. The breakdown is awesome, I love how the guitar tone is heavy as shit but isn't too gainy. 2:13 is my favourite part, the riff sounds very like something the Melvins would do. The ending could have been more polished but that's just my opinion man. Great job overall man, can't wait to hear more!
C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676989
Hey guys, sorry for replying so late! Been a little sick, will definitely C4C

Quote by RabidBadger
Hey man. This sounds awesome!

I love the heaviness of the sound. The riffs are cool even though they may not be all that technical. The build up to the end was the only part that was a little bit of a let down, but as it was written in such a short space of time I can understand it being less than perfect for the whole piece

Whatever the synth part is that comes in at around 1:00 it sounds really good - it's subtle but gives the whole thing a kinda dark, forboding feel. The lead tone is cool as well (reminded me of the Burn My Eyes era Machine Head sound), although it wold have been nice to see that aspect develop a little more.

I really enjoyed listening to this. I hope you come back with some more soon.

If you fancy a bit of C4C, heres my stuff https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677842

Cheers

Thank you for your kind words, man, it is really encouraging to hear I've added a lead to the end portion since, even I felt the end was a bit...bland. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it though

Quote by silvadolla
Hey man,

Thanks for sharing this post with us.

This is an interesting rhythmic track. The first 30 seconds reminded me of Dethklok and Dying Fetus. Some of the later sections in here also remind me of Meshuggah. Did you do the rhythm parts in one take? If so, that's pretty sweet. It would be cool if there was a little more lead playing here. Regarding the mix, I felt that the drums and cymbals were sitting a little low.

Here are some of the moments which caught my attention in this track:

0:30 The "djent" tone caught me a little bit by surprise as the intro almost sounded like old school death metal. That was an interesting transition!

0:55 The drum run and guitar riff interact very well here.

2:12 I enjoyed the transition here.

Can you check out my track "Where is Everybody?" https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678177

Haha, I was thinking of Meshuggah, Morbid Angel and Porcupine Tree when I wrote it the djent tone doesnt stick out so much in the intro because of the trem picking I guess, I used the same settings for the entire song. I added a solo to the ending portion, even I felt it wasnt really complete. And yes, I raised the brass section a bit on the final mix, quite a few have commented on that. I'd write more solos, but I'm not really good at writing them XD

Thank you for taking the time to listen, I really appreciate your kind words, it is VERY encouraging to hear.

Quote by Guitar0player
Sounds like old school death. Very nice and heavy into. ****ing heavy man. The drum intro is spot on. I am guessing they are programmed though?

The part where the guitar with the delay comes in is delicious and the solos are just amazing but seem to end abruptly.

The "breakdown" is very nice though, this could be an excellent part of a video game soundtrack. Now for some reason I want synths in the background of certain parts.

The dissonant chord choices are ****ing awesome I can tell you that, basically for what it is this track seems almost flawless, or maybe I just dont know enough.

C4C?:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677696

Haha, thanks, really happy you feel that way about it. Really stoked to hear such a positive response. What more can I say?
And yeah, programmed drums. Steven Slate Drums into Kontakt.

Quote by Poisonouspot
Really nice production man, the intro sounds very like Slipknot. There are some really nice riffs here, especially the !:00 section with the tremolo guitar in the background. The breakdown is awesome, I love how the guitar tone is heavy as shit but isn't too gainy. 2:13 is my favourite part, the riff sounds very like something the Melvins would do. The ending could have been more polished but that's just my opinion man. Great job overall man, can't wait to hear more!
C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676989

Haha, thanks for saying that, I'm pretty paranoid about production. Trying very hard to improve I agree with the ending thing, I added a mini solo to it to spice it up.

Thank you for taking the time to crit it, really happy to hear such positive things they are mana for an insecure novice like me
GS,
Somehow I think this would go well with a video for some reason; maybe partially because it does not have vocals. Some good vocals wouldn't hurt (I forget if you sing), though the vocals might have a hard time competing with the big guitar sound. The rhythm guitar has a pretty unique/good sound. The rhythm riffs are good. Lead guitar is pretty good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677541
Love this sort of thing - if you're gonna do something, do it properly. This makes no compromises - full on manic heaviness, all pure intensity. Unlike other examples of this sound, it is very accessible, not full of endless chops and changes that destroy the continuity and emotion of the piece, but a steady motor on a few well connected and relevant grooves that hypnotically build up a trance like evocation that is immensely powerful. The simple construction creates a music that is more than the sum of its parts, a monstrous momentum of inexorable slabs of mighty sonic sculpture.
Although this works excellently as it is, this could be even more awesome with a well suited vocalist on top - but it would have to be a super strong and powerful voice to compliment this,,,,,,
Chunky incisively tight performances too, superb musicianship.
For something different, you can C4C here.
very cool intro, reminds me of some old school death metal man. the mixing needs work, i like when the synths come in with the open note pattern. Very catchy. when the lead guitar comes in i'd suggest working on the tone a bit so it's more blended into the song. I'd deff take someparts and make it into a full song with better mixing it could be really great.
if you could comment on my song i'd appreciate it!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1679165
In addition to the bands other comments mentioned above, I hear some Amon Amarth influence. The power is there: this one definitely deserves some vocals.

The lead guitars sound a bit sloppy and the overall production is a bit muddy but I suspect that's not the point of this song.

Slipknot-like heaviness is there, and the song is pumping. Thinking it's just an improvisation. Nice one!

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678157
Brutal opening, a little bit muddy, due to all those low frequencies lol.

Riffs seem composed pretty darn well, the part around the 1 minute mark with the synth coming in sounds pretty darn good.

I'd say it could be produced a bit better, the lead guitar tone seems a bit too trebly I think, however as this is just an improv, its pretty good, and could be used as a starting point for a song.

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1679336
Quote by aaron aardvark
GS,
Somehow I think this would go well with a video for some reason; maybe partially because it does not have vocals. Some good vocals wouldn't hurt (I forget if you sing), though the vocals might have a hard time competing with the big guitar sound. The rhythm guitar has a pretty unique/good sound. The rhythm riffs are good. Lead guitar is pretty good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677541

Haha, vocals WILL be added in time, I've got a friend writing lyrics, will be recording once I can borrow a mic.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the track, I'm really glad you consider it worth listening to. Very encouraging to hear.

Quote by Jathon Delsy
Love this sort of thing - if you're gonna do something, do it properly. This makes no compromises - full on manic heaviness, all pure intensity. Unlike other examples of this sound, it is very accessible, not full of endless chops and changes that destroy the continuity and emotion of the piece, but a steady motor on a few well connected and relevant grooves that hypnotically build up a trance like evocation that is immensely powerful. The simple construction creates a music that is more than the sum of its parts, a monstrous momentum of inexorable slabs of mighty sonic sculpture.
Although this works excellently as it is, this could be even more awesome with a well suited vocalist on top - but it would have to be a super strong and powerful voice to compliment this,,,,,,
Chunky incisively tight performances too, superb musicianship.
For something different, you can C4C here.

I'm really happy to hear that. Thank you for your kind words, it's really very encouraging to hear and yeah, I try not to make stuff technical for the sake of technicality, I try to keep things appropriate, something fancy when it's needed, simple when THAT is needed.
I will be posting a version of this with vocals soon

Quote by enloartworks
very cool intro, reminds me of some old school death metal man. the mixing needs work, i like when the synths come in with the open note pattern. Very catchy. when the lead guitar comes in i'd suggest working on the tone a bit so it's more blended into the song. I'd deff take someparts and make it into a full song with better mixing it could be really great.
if you could comment on my song i'd appreciate it!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1679165

Thanks for listening through it, I agree, mixing DOES need work, I have posted a version with some post production work done howver, it's in the original post, maybe you'd take a look at that?

EDIT: I'm going through the other C4C's, editing this post and replying to your comments, don't think I'm ignoring you.

EDIT2:

Quote by Sammetry
In addition to the bands other comments mentioned above, I hear some Amon Amarth influence. The power is there: this one definitely deserves some vocals.

The lead guitars sound a bit sloppy and the overall production is a bit muddy but I suspect that's not the point of this song.

Slipknot-like heaviness is there, and the song is pumping. Thinking it's just an improvisation. Nice one!

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678157

Aye, that trem picking section is very much an Amon Amarth rip off innit

Exactly what do you mean by sloppy? Off time? Or noisy?

I posted a new version of the track with some production work done on it, could you check it out and tell me what you think?

Quote by Skint Out
Brutal opening, a little bit muddy, due to all those low frequencies lol.

Riffs seem composed pretty darn well, the part around the 1 minute mark with the synth coming in sounds pretty darn good.

I'd say it could be produced a bit better, the lead guitar tone seems a bit too trebly I think, however as this is just an improv, its pretty good, and could be used as a starting point for a song.

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1679336

Thank you for saying that, really makes me happy
You're saying that you think the lead tone sounds a bit trebly?

I've done some production work, I've posted a link as well. Maybe you could check it out and tell me what you think?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 19, 2015,