So I'm looking for a new amp head.
I'm upgrading from my old Fender Blues Junior. I think I want a half stack with around 50 watts, but I can't decide on a specific amp. I'm looking for something bluesy that likes to get a little mean. Like a 68-74, 89-94 sound (Rolling Stones, Cream, Peter Green, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana...) My fender was actually able to get a decent (middle)high gain tone but didn't have the deep growl behind it that I want.
I'm looking to spend 500-1500 and am thinking used is the best (as in cheapest) route. I've looked into Marshall, Fender, Orange, Soldano, Mesa... The problem is that I find a lot of the modern amps have a screechy/whiny (80's/Metal) tone that I don't like.

Some of the amp models I am considering:
Marshall Jtm45
Marshall Jcm800
Orange Rockaverb? (haven't found an orange I like yet)
Some vintage/reissued fender I can find in a head

I'm not looking for the exact amp that any particular artist used on x song, I just want an amp that has a vintage sound; Smooth/Creamy breakup with some bite when I want it, with a deep ballsy growl to back it up.

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Look at Ceriatone amps, they sound great are all hand made and <$1300 new for most of the models
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Add a Peavey classic 30 or 50 to your search.

Lumping all of those manufacturers models together may not do you justice either. Mesa has some great stuff. Maybe their Lonestar or F lines. If you want the light stuff and all the metal stuff look at the Roadster.

For more Marshally try Splawn (never played one but hear good things). ,
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
i have to say i am in love with my rockerverb. i got it two weeks ago and i have been loving up on it since.

i also love the orange OR50, and it has a switchable MV. one of my next amps.

i really don't think you want an amp without a master volume (JTM45, plexi).

peavey classic 30/50/delta blues are all very nice, but IMO you can get more for your money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

if he is in the US, he would be better off with a splawn quickrod IMO. easily found for under a grand, and IMO way better then the marshall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yeah, Splawn is a great option. You just don't see Splawns over here so I always forget about them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, Splawn is a great option. You just don't see Splawns over here so I always forget about them.

yea, i forget that there aren't everywhere also.

as an honest inquire cath, would you take a 2203/2204 over a splawn for any reason?

i have played a 2203 before, but i don't think i can say that its 'as good' as a splawn . i try not to be biased, but it has the three gears (if you build antother footswitch you can get it to shift up a gear with your foot. it also has OD1 and OD2 foot switchable for every channel. it has a foot switchable volume boost (set via knob on front). i just can't see wherea JCM800 could beat the features and the tone. huge transformers and choke, hand built. etc. etc. etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've never played a Splawn or seen a schematic so I can't actually say. They look like good things. I did consider one before I bought my RM100, but I couldn't test it. Very happy with the RM though so

That is another option for him too really. RM100 heads are good things if you spend some time selecting your modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've never played a Splawn or seen a schematic so I can't actually say. They look like good things. I did consider one before I bought my RM100, but I couldn't test it. Very happy with the RM though so

That is another option for him too really. RM100 heads are good things if you spend some time selecting your modules.

the RM's seem like a nice thing, that is for sure. is your marshall module better than the 2203's as well?

never played a splawn where are your from again? Australia

i haven't ever put my splawn next to a JCM800, but i would love to. i have a hard time thinking that the splawn wouldn't destroy it, because scott splawn was modding JCM800's for quite a while, until they weren't as cheap and easily available, then he came up the the quickrod. after that.

i probably would have bought an RM if it was back before i was an amp *****. i am i think 16 tube amps at the moment. i have pretty much every tone i feel needing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I had a guy play before me using a vertical 2203. I was using the Salvation Mash-all+ module in the house RM100. We both used the same house cab. Afterwards he jumped onto the stage to pick my brain about my tone. I think it was just his huge pedalboard sucking tone and my Rio Grande pups - but regardless, I sounded better.
Salvation modules are very good.

Edit: Btw, this exists
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=spawn
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
I had a guy play before me using a vertical 2203. I was using the Salvation Mash-all+ module in the house RM100. We both used the same house cab. Afterwards he jumped onto the stage to pick my brain about my tone. I think it was just his huge pedalboard sucking tone and my Rio Grande pups - but regardless, I sounded better.
Salvation modules are very good.

Edit: Btw, this exists
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=spawn

interesting as far as the spawn model goes.

pedals and pickups really make a big difference.

i really do think that people put way too much shit in their signal path. i do tech work for my church and mess around with sound a little bit, it drives me crazy how two of the rigs are. one is a matchless, and the other a 65 amps. they are ****ing awesome amps, but by the time you go through the wireless, six delay pedals and a chorus and a few OD's its terrible. i am always trying to get some thinks out of the signal path, bu it doesn't work. one of these days, i am going to get in there early with the 18 watt and a zendrive and a malekko 616 and then *maybe* they will figure out more isn't always better.

OP i am sorry i got your thread sidetracked.

buy a splawn.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
For all I know his tubes were shit too. I was running JJ E34L's which fvcking hammer. Too many variables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
OP - I'm thinking you might need something more pristine and sparkly like a Matchless Chieftain or maybe a Hiwatt. Maybe Mesa Roadking or Roadking 2...and I mean used on all of these.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 2, 2015,
Gonna recommend the Carvin V3M because that's my shtick. 50 watt tube head, 3 channels. It admittedly does have a sort of '80s gain sound, but there's quite a few different ways to change the amp's character, and I'd bet you could find a combination of switch flips and EQ tweaks to suit your desires. $599 new without a cab.
Another thing, I don't like amps to have unnecessary features. Besides standby, and watt cutting, everything seems to be a nuisance.
Quote by JFH59
Another thing, I don't like amps to have unnecessary features. Besides standby, and watt cutting, everything seems to be a nuisance.

Y'see, to me both of those are gimmicks. Neither of them provide any real value.

Different strokes I guess.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Y'see, to me both of those are gimmicks. Neither of them provide any real value.

Different strokes I guess.

The watt reducing would come in handy for some people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you switch to the lower wattage setting, you should get higher gain at a lesser volume, which might be beneficial if you live in an apartment complex or something and can't crank it up all the time.
Quote by esky15
The watt reducing would come in handy for some people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you switch to the lower wattage setting, you should get higher gain at a lesser volume, which might be beneficial if you live in an apartment complex or something and can't crank it up all the time.

It depends on the amp. If you're after power tube distortion then this would work but even a 1W setting cranked up is too loud for an apartment.

If the amp gets most/all of it's distortion from the pre-amp (like most modern Peaveys, Mesa's, etc.) and we're not talking about power amp distortion then the multi-watt feature is not for volume control - that's the job of the Master Volume.

On my Mesa Roadster, the 50/100W setting is used mainly to change the character of the tone. The 100W setting has a much tighter tracking and the 50W setting is a bit looser. On the clean channels you also change the clean headroom with the volume cranked.

So look at the multi watt not as volume control but as tone character variation.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .