Short and sweet, I really like my Carvin, but I feel like swapping the humbuckers would push it over the edge. The pickups in it right now are PAF-voiced I believe, and I like that as a starting point, but the neck pickup is a bit muddy, the bridge pickup doesn't have as much punch and heft as I want, and both pickups lack real thumpy low-end definition or clear high-end smoothness. So, does anyone have any recommendations on a pair to look into?

Pertinent details and whatnot:

• The guitar is an all-mahogany Carvin C66 with a maple cap, ebony fretboard, and a string-through stoptail.
  • Price range is preferably not above $150 USD for both. I may be able to get a decent summer job depending on if I get a call back tomorrow, but I'm still in college. Loan debts are a problem, so the less money I put to these and dedicate to getting out of debt, the better.
  • The tone I'm looking for is something buttery. More defined, especially with a firmer low-end and a smoother high-end, but also with a punchier, stronger midrange on the bridge pickup. The sound I specifically have in mind is fairly close to a PRS S2 Custom 22 I played a week or so ago, so that may help get an idea. Similar construction aside from the neck joint, so it should be doable. No hard rules in terms of output levels, vintage to high-gain is fine as long as it sounds right, but low-medium is preferable.

Any suggestions are appreciated If there's any additional info needed, let me know.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 1, 2015,
What's your amp.

Immediate thought is Lace Nitro Hemis or Dissonant Aggressors. tons of punchy midrange. May be a little over budget though.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
What's your amp.

Immediate thought is Lace Nitro Hemis or Dissonant Aggressors. tons of punchy midrange. May be a little over budget though.

As of right now, a Fender Blues Junior, but sometime within the next few months I'm hoping to replace it with a Marshall DSL40C, especially if I'm able to land the summer job I'm gunning for at the moment.

Never heard of either Any chance of links?

SD SH-2 (Jazz) might give what you want in the neck. They are the brightest standard humbuckers that SD make, which covers the top and low end requirements. I have one guitar (a 335 knockoff) in which they are warm and middy, so they could cover the mid punch in an all-mahogany guitar and compensate for its intrinsic warmnees.
Tried an ESP Eclipse with a JB/Jazz set in it. It was a few years ago, so maybe my tastes have changed, but I wasn't a fan. Too much treble, not enough body.

Take a look at Seymour Duncan's Pearly Gates humbucker.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
With that budget, I'd suggest

1) a RailHammer Alnico Grande in the bridge and their HyperVintage or Tel90 in the neck
http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html

2) a Tesla VR-Extreme in the bridge and their OPUS-1 or OPUS-4 in the neck
http://www.teslapickups.com/?page_id=120
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I like BG Pickups. He custom winds them all and they are very close to your budget. Tell him what you are looking for and he'll hook you up.