Page 1 of 2
Ok. I have this Sterling by Muisc MAn(what a horrible,horrible guitar) AX3 TBL.
I bought it new in February 2014 and there's a shit ton of stuff wrong with it.

Here's a link to an Imgur gallery of this abomination.
http://imgur.com/a/nyr3x

Ok, so here's the stuff that's wrong with it.
-The strings are rattling on the frets(the action is set well for me, nothing touches and no
buzzing). Right now I have 9-42 Framus strings in E/EB/Drop D.
-the bridge is ****ing rusty
-it won't intonate(tried to on the low E, as far as it goes backwards and it's still sharp)
-dead 13(or 12) fret. Especially when you play on the D string
-The frets need polishing(Don't know how to do it )
-There's something with the truss rod(I think it's snapped-yes, snapped).
-it needs fret dressing and crowning, and leveling, and every****ingthing.
And I think that's it.

I am getting a new guitar(Dean ML79F) after the holidays(as in, in three months time). Is this a failed case? Can I save it?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
for fret polishing I recommend Micromesh the kind that goes 1500 to 12,000 grit and the frets will look like brand new. If you're going to a guitar shop though and get a re-crowning and all though they will do it anyways.

slightly dampen the pads (not make them soaking wet) , and polish the fret. This is ultra fine crystals running across metal so don't worry about fret ware and they will look brand new. If not the cheap and not as good way but still works is 2000 grit sand paper and a bit of polishing compound. 2000 is almost as smooth as regular writing paper.

doing either way remember to put something under the frets like tape to make sure the fretboard doesn't get scratched up.

the fact the trussrod is snapped though have reassurance of this from a tech, like ask them before the frets are crowned and polished. If it is that is going to be a very expensive trip to the guitar shop. But I suppose if the deal was right why not.

the buzzing may go away after a setup and fret work done on it, the rusty bridge saddles worst case you can always get graphtech ones or some replacement but I've never seen frets too rusty. But I like this post never once did you mention a pickup swap like wayyy too many kids on forums mention the second they get a guitar.

don't forget to put lighter fluid and lemon oil on the fretboard too in case the previous owner hasn't in a while. Lighter fluid wipe it off fast it is to remove any dirt on the fretboard and then a bit of lemon oil right after to re-hydrate the wood on the fretboard only for ebony and rosewood fretboards. I haven't checked out the image you posted but yeah just some advice.

hope I could help.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 2, 2015,
That's unfortunate, as I purchased a Sterling SUB Silo3 when they first came out and it's an exceptional bargain for the price, or even for twice the price.

I suspect that either you got a lemon or you've treated it very shabbily.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I sent back two Sterling JP100Ds last year. Absolute junk. The neck and frets were total crap. Dead frets, buzzing, unfixable warped neck. I really wanted to like that guitar, but the quality was the worst I've seen in a guitar that price. I'll never even consider another Sterling, ever.
i can tell from your pics that your trem is unbalanced. the pivot points are not set correctly, and this effects a ton of other issues. your trem isn't all rusted -only a few springs and the saddle screws. you have some green on them that can be polished off. your action isn't set well for you if your strings are laying on the fretboard and buzzing. if the truss rod adjustment screw rotates freely and you neck curves upward under string tension, then the rod is truly broken but you aren't sure?. you show slight wear on the treble side of the 12th and 13th, but what about the lower frets? if you do or get done for you, a level/dress/crown then polishing is part of the job. did you check the neck? is it warped, straight or what? you bought it new in feb 2014 so i assume that you played it first and it was tip-top otherwise you wouldn't have bought it right? what's happened since? it's got a crater pounded into it and everything is broken in only 16 months?

take it to a shop. it sounds like you're in over your head.
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
i can tell from your pic that your trem is unbalanced. the pivot points are not set correctly, and this effects a ton of other issues. your trem isn't all rusted -only a few springs and the saddle screws. you have some green on them that can be polished off. your action isn't set well for you if your strings are laying on the fretboard and buzzing. if the truss rod adjustment screw rotates freely and you neck curves upward under string tension, then the rod is truly broken but you aren't sure?. you show slight wear on the treble side of the 12th, but what about the lower frets? if you do or get done for you, a level/dress/crown them polishing is part of the job. did you check the neck? is it warped, straight or what? you bought it new in feb 2014 so i assume that you played it first and it was tip-top otherwise you wouldn't have bought it right? what's happened since?

take it to a shop. it sounds like you're in over your head.

Would you like more pictures? Tell me which ones if so. There are no luthiers here(by here I mean I doubt there are any people that know about gear restoring in a 100km radius).

The trem is unbalanced? What do you mean?
I always set it so that I can only go down with the whammy bar(fear of it detuning and can't be bothered of looking for it).

The strings aren't on the fretboard(I'll add a pic of the height tomorrow so check in later)

I'm not sure about the truss rod. The shitty thing is I'm scared to take the neck off and check. I might break it(It's a bit of a different truss rod than the standard fender and gibson ones)

I'll do a photo of every single fret if you want to check more.

The neck is straight, at a slight bow towards me when I'm playing(very small, but annoying I can't do nothing about it).

The dude in the shop set the guitar up the best he could before I went there. Me being the 7 month playing idiot decided to undo everything he did I tried to change it back, but it either doesn't work/****s up

I put on a fresh set of Framus 9-42 after having EB 10-52.
That's the only thing I did when the problems started to happen.
Also, what are pivot points?

Quote by Tallwood13
for fret polishing I recommend Micromesh the kind that goes 1500 to 12,000 grit and the frets will look like brand new. If you're going to a guitar shop though and get a re-crowning and all though they will do it anyways.

slightly dampen the pads (not make them soaking wet) , and polish the fret. This is ultra fine crystals running across metal so don't worry about fret ware and they will look brand new. If not the cheap and not as good way but still works is 2000 grit sand paper and a bit of polishing compound. 2000 is almost as smooth as regular writing paper.

doing either way remember to put something under the frets like tape to make sure the fretboard doesn't get scratched up.

the fact the trussrod is snapped though have reassurance of this from a tech, like ask them before the frets are crowned and polished. If it is that is going to be a very expensive trip to the guitar shop. But I suppose if the deal was right why not.

the buzzing may go away after a setup and fret work done on it, the rusty bridge saddles worst case you can always get graphtech ones or some replacement but I've never seen frets too rusty. But I like this post never once did you mention a pickup swap like wayyy too many kids on forums mention the second they get a guitar.

don't forget to put lighter fluid and lemon oil on the fretboard too in case the previous owner hasn't in a while. Lighter fluid wipe it off fast it is to remove any dirt on the fretboard and then a bit of lemon oil right after to re-hydrate the wood on the fretboard only for ebony and rosewood fretboards. I haven't checked out the image you posted but yeah just some advice.

hope I could help.

I bought the guitar new. Is there any product which could replace steel wool?

Quote by Arby911
That's unfortunate, as I purchased a Sterling SUB Silo3 when they first came out and it's an exceptional bargain for the price, or even for twice the price.

I'm not very experienced with treating/ taking care of guitars(as in, if stuff breaks, I'm scared of fixing it)
Partially it might be my fault, who knows.

Quote by TheGroundZero
I sent back two Sterling JP100Ds last year. Absolute junk. The neck and frets were total crap. Dead frets, buzzing, unfixable warped neck. I really wanted to like that guitar, but the quality was the worst I've seen in a guitar that price. I'll never even consider another Sterling, ever.

I hope the Dean will be better.
Fly on, fly on
The trem is unbalanced? What do you mean?
I always set it so that I can only go down with the whammy bar(fear of it detuning and can't be bothered of looking for it).

i can see the bass side pivot is higher then the treble side. a side view will show whether or not the plate is parallel to the fret plane. a fulcrum trem (like that one) is said to be in balance when the plate is co-planar to the fret plane and when raised or lowered during play, returns to pitch.

The strings aren't on the fretboard(I'll add a pic of the height tomorrow so check in
later)

i misunderstood your post. apologies. i see that in your pics that they aren't laying down on the frets after all.

I'm not sure about the truss rod. The shitty thing is I'm scared to take the neck off and check. I might break it(It's a bit of a different truss rod than the standard fender and gibson ones)

that truss rod adjusts from the side. a pin (or an allen wrench) is inserted through the holes of the nut and turned to adjust neck relief. no need to take the neck off.

I put on a fresh set of Framus 9-42 after having EB 10-52.
That's the only thing I did when the problems started to happen.
Also, what are pivot points?

the pivot points are the two posts that the trem pivots on. they have the phillips head cross slots on them

The neck is straight, at a slight bow towards me when I'm playing(very small, but annoying I can't do nothing about it).

this bow is called neck relief. all functioning guitars should have some.(.003 to .010 depending) it allows for string excursion (the arc a string makes when plucked) to not hit the frets. a little bit of buzz is tolerable on electrics in order to get a good playing action, but on acoustics it isn't as acceptable.

I bought the guitar new. Is there any product which could replace steel wool?

sure, try some jeweler's polishing pads from Euro Tool. fwiw, i never use steel wool on an electric. the pickups are magnetic and even if you're super careful and mask them off with tape, you'll get "wool" stuck on them and ruin them. imo, leave the steel wool for your dishes.

Partially it might be my fault, who knows.
could be true. the guitar needed to be re-set up after your change in string gage.

I hope the Dean will be better
good luck
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek

I hope the Dean will be better.

Well dean isn't really known for their quality control (or quality in general, especially at lower price points) so... good luck.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
The MM should have a lifetime warranty on workmanship/materials, send that thing back

^ Dean has decent QC, but their low-end guitars are not known to be great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek

-The strings are rattling on the frets(the action is set well for me, nothing touches and no

-it won't intonate(tried to on the low E, as far as it goes backwards and it's still sharp)
And I think that's it.

I am getting a new guitar(Dean ML79F) after the holidays(as in, in three months time). Is this a failed case? Can I save it?

The rest of the saddles are aligned?

That guitar looks like it was left out in the rain. My 55 Les Paul didn't have so much rust after being stored in a garage in Long Beach for 30 years. Time to go shopping.

Dean is a lateral move. Maybe look at Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha, PRS. Perhaps you have heard of them. A nice used MiM Fender can be found often for $250. Way better than these others in every respect. Also, let a skilled guitar tech handle your setup and fret dressing. They won't FUBAR your next axe.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek

And I think that's it.

I don't mean to offend, but 98% of this sounds like lack of maintenance and setup knowledge on the part of the owner. Aside from the snapped truss rod (this seems likely to be an owner issue as well), all of this is fairly easily fixed. When was the last time you changed the strings?
Quote by Arby911

And I'm guessing the latter -- that's a pretty nasty ding.
Quote by Tallwood13

It's a maple fretboard, so oiling it isn't a thing. I've stopped suggesting lighter fluid, by the way. Until recently all lighter fluid was naptha, but I'm told that Rossignol in particular has changed its formulation, and may be only partially naptha at best.
I wouldn't buy a Dean, their quality is pretty damn terrible to be honest. I would also suggest looking after your next guitar better, all your issues seem to be from lack of care and poor maintenance/messing with stuff with little knowledge.
Quote by ad_works
i can see the bass side pivot is higher then the treble side. a side view will show whether or not the plate is parallel to the fret plane. a fulcrum trem (like that one) is said to be in balance when the plate is co-planar to the fret plane and when raised or lowered during play, returns to pitch.

that truss rod adjusts from the side. a pin (or an allen wrench) is inserted through the holes of the nut and turned to adjust neck relief. no need to take the neck off.

this bow is called neck relief. all functioning guitars should have some.(.003 to .010 depending) it allows for string excursion (the arc a string makes when plucked) to not hit the frets. a little bit of buzz is tolerable on electrics in order to get a good playing action, but on acoustics it isn't as acceptable.
sure, try some jeweler's polishing pads from Euro Tool. fwiw, i never use steel wool on an electric. the pickups are magnetic and even if you're super careful and mask them off with tape, you'll get "wool" stuck on them and ruin them. imo, leave the steel wool for your dishes.

Thanks very much.
I think I have the truss rod set pretty well.
I have this at home. Will it do?
https://www.sklep.vileda.pl/img/fba759e3_large.jpg

Quote by the_bi99man
Well dean isn't really known for their quality control (or quality in general, especially at lower price points) so... good luck.

I wouldn't call the 79's low price point

Quote by Robbgnarly
The MM should have a lifetime warranty on workmanship/materials, send that thing back

^ Dean has decent QC, but their low-end guitars are not known to be great

It's a sterling by music man. MM's squier series.

Quote by Ippon
The rest of the saddles are aligned?

I just tried to intonate the low E first. I failed miserably so I left the others.
I set everything up to a point where I could intonate them correctly and easily. Aftre the low E I posted here.

Quote by Cajundaddy
That guitar looks like it was left out in the rain. My 55 Les Paul didn't have so much rust after being stored in a garage in Long Beach for 30 years. Time to go shopping.

Dean is a lateral move. Maybe look at Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha, PRS. Perhaps you have heard of them. A nice used MiM Fender can be found often for $250. Way better than these others in every respect. Also, let a skilled guitar tech handle your setup and fret dressing. They won't FUBAR your next axe.

I'm more of a metal player rather than your bluesy, hard rock stuff. I also like the shape of the Dean.

I thought about getting myself a cheapo guitar and learning how to set it up/fix it up to gain experience.

Quote by dspellman
I don't mean to offend, but 98% of this sounds like lack of maintenance and setup knowledge on the part of the owner. Aside from the snapped truss rod (this seems likely to be an owner issue as well), all of this is fairly easily fixed. When was the last time you changed the strings?

Changed the strings on the 27th may.
I don't really know how to maintain a guitar well(partially because I lack some of the gear(oils, tools, whatever)) to do so

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I wouldn't buy a Dean, their quality is pretty damn terrible to be honest. I would also suggest looking after your next guitar better, all your issues seem to be from lack of care and poor maintenance/messing with stuff with little knowledge.

If the Dean will be low quality I'll just send it back.
Fly on, fly on
Get the Dean.

We don't want you to sound like this guy...
http://youtu.be/Q_DDsozgxnQ
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 3, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
I don't really know how to maintain a guitar well(partially because I lack some of the gear(oils, tools, whatever)) to do so

Lemon Oil - £3.99
Allen key set - £6.99
Lighter fluid - £4.99
Old sock - free
Wire cutters - £3.00
Microfibre cloth - £3.00
Screwdriver set - £10

If you can afford two £500+ instruments you can afford to spend £25 on basic maintainence.
Quote by Random3
Lemon Oil - £3.99
Allen key set - £6.99
Lighter fluid - £4.99
Old sock - free
Wire cutters - £3.00
Microfibre cloth - £3.00
Screwdriver set - £10

If you can afford two £500+ instruments you can afford to spend £25 on basic maintainence.

This, I have spent more on tools and maintenance supplies than the value of some of my guitars. Granted, I'm an avid modder and tinkerer, but everyone should own the list of tools you have mentioned. I would also add a soldering iron.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Get the Dean.

We don't want you to sound like this guy...
http://youtu.be/Q_DDsozgxnQ

Not my type of metal. I don't like scale wanking(nothing against him, just not my thing)

Quote by Random3
Lemon Oil - £3.99
Allen key set - £6.99
Lighter fluid - £4.99
Old sock - free
Wire cutters - £3.00
Microfibre cloth - £3.00
Screwdriver set - £10

But, I can't afford two 500 quid instruments. How about I tell you I have bitchy parents which won't buy me shit?(they believe I only need a guitar and an amp)
The new guitar I'm getting because of good grades.
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jun 3, 2015,
It is literally £25 to get all of the things I listed.

That seems to me like having a nice car bought for you but being unable to afford to put petrol in it.

If you do not have the tools to maintain your instruments they will deteriorate. That is a fact.
Quote by Random3

That seems to me like having a nice car bought for you but being unable to afford to put petrol in it.

If you do not have the tools to maintain your instruments they will deteriorate. That is a fact.

I mean, I'd love to own these things. But I don't know how, in which quantity(for the oils and stuff) and when to use them.

25 quid in a place that's not the UK is a shit ton of money.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Random3

+1
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ad_works
I have this at home. Will it do?
https://www.sklep.vileda.pl/img/fba759e3_large.jpg

no. keep that thing away from your guitar. it's a dish scrubby, it belongs in the sink

If the Dean will be low quality I'll just send it back.

do you like any Ibanez?

Xiphos. Only model I like.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I mean, I'd love to own these things. But I don't know how, in which quantity(for the oils and stuff) and when to use them.

I seriously recommend doing some research into how to take care of your guitars. Your parents could buy you the nicest guitars on the planet, if you cannot look after them then they would be wasting their money.

yeah i like it too.

what country are you in?
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 3, 2015,
Quote by ad_works

yeah i like it too.

what country are you in?

I think he's in Poland. He's somewhere in Europe at least IIRC.

He likes Dimebag a lot too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

ah, that would explain the dish scrubby url:
www.sklep.vileda.pl

Fryderyczek:
what to do about shops in Poland:

http://www.guitar-max.eu/home-music-store-wroclaw-poland.html

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Musical+Instrument+Shops&find_loc=Krak%C3%B3w

honestly i can't find much else. i don't know anything about Poland other then my dad said that some relatives were from Poland but i didn't believe him...

1) i'd suggest going to some shop that you can get to and try on some stuff. you know the drill. when i was younger i'd ditch school and go to hollywood and play everything in every store all day long until the cops thinned out later in the day. i'm not suggesting that you take up ditching, but playing is free and you can learn a lot. unless they run you out of the store that is. then you can just come back the next day.

2) get a hold of one of those guitar "maintenance" kits like the Dunlop 65 or something. it should have enough stuff to at least keep your guitar clean. for extra motivation i suggest playing every note on every fret of your guitar as much as you can. this will help to keep the oxidation off the frets.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Not my type of metal. I don't like scale wanking(nothing against him, just not my thing)

But, I can't afford two 500 quid instruments. How about I tell you I have bitchy parents which won't buy me shit?(they believe I only need a guitar and an amp)
The new guitar I'm getting because of good grades.

They dont buy you shit but they are willing to spend over a grand on guitars for you in a 7month period? Sounds like you are a spoiled little shit who doesn't look after what is given to you. I can't believe your parent are buying you another guitar after you have let that one get into such a state.
Quote by AcousticMirror
man this guy again. asks for advice. then bitches about it.

**** off

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
They dont buy you shit but they are willing to spend over a grand on guitars for you in a 7month period? Sounds like you are a spoiled little shit who doesn't look after what is given to you. I can't believe your parent are buying you another guitar after you have let that one get into such a state.

The first part is correct. They don't buy me unnecessary shit(like capos, tuners, hell even they don't want to buy me strings on the internet).
What do you mean about the 7 month period(If it's about how long I play, think again)

I worked my ass off in school and at home for that guitar. I'm even paying a part from my own money

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah, Poland. And yeah, I like Dimebag too. I mean, I also like pointy guitars, so why not?
Not ripping him off completely IMO because I'm not getting a Razorback.
If I can't play any guitars here then why not start with ones that my heroes like?

Quote by ad_works

yeah i like it too.

what country are you in?

Poland. I found one Xiphos, but I'd really like a model with 27 frets, you know?
Besides, I'd really prefer the Dean right now.

Quote by Random3
I seriously recommend doing some research into how to take care of your guitars. Your parents could buy you the nicest guitars on the planet, if you cannot look after them then they would be wasting their money.

I already did. Thanks.

Quote by ad_works

honestly i can't find much else. i don't know anything about Poland other then my dad said that some relatives were from Poland but i didn't believe him...

1) i'd suggest going to some shop that you can get to and try on some stuff. you know the drill. when i was younger i'd ditch school and go to hollywood and play everything in every store all day long until the cops thinned out later in the day. i'm not suggesting that you take up ditching, but playing is free and you can learn a lot. unless they run you out of the store that is. then you can just come back the next day.

2) get a hold of one of those guitar "maintenance" kits like the Dunlop 65 or something. it should have enough stuff to at least keep your guitar clean. for extra motivation i suggest playing every note on every fret of your guitar as much as you can. this will help to keep the oxidation off the frets.

Thanks for the links. I found a few shops in Poland.
One of them is this internet store called Guitar Center(I think they work for the US GC). That's where I'm buying the guitar from. That's also where I got the amp.
I found this other one which is great for accessories(got the Framus strings, a slide, strap locks and 12 picks).

Honestly, the only other shop here that I know of is Ragtime. In Wrocław(about 2 hour drive from here). I went there last summer to check out amps(yeah, they had guitars, shit tons), but the dude didn't even let my try out some guitars, so

Also, where are you from? The States?(a lot of Polish people moved the to US as a part of the Great Migration(when Prussia, Russia and Austria was on our shit in the 18th century)
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
**** off

Yeah, Poland. And yeah, I like Dimebag too. I mean, I also like pointy guitars, so why not?
Not ripping him off completely IMO because I'm not getting a Razorback.
If I can't play any guitars here then why not start with ones that my heroes like?

You can fuck off yourself. He's got every right to say it because you've demonstrated yourself as that way multiple times

and LOL at not ripping off dimebag because you don't have a razorback. Because Dimebag didn't play a fucking Dean ML most of his career. I suppose you weren't intending to rip him off by wanting a Randall Century or an RG100ES and a Fuhrman parametric EQ right?

Your hero didn't play a shitty import Dean. Your hero played a real one and your hero would sound just like your hero no MATTER the guitar. It's fine wanting a guitar like your hero. It's not fine when you're sacrificing actually getting something decent and functional over some pointy fake ML because Dime played one. ESPECIALLY when you're limited in funds.

What you should be focusing on is actually getting a DECENT guitar and learn how to maintain your instruments so you can stop blaming your own faults and fixing missteps on the gear.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can fuck off yourself. He's got every right to say it because you've demonstrated yourself as that way multiple times

and LOL at not ripping off dimebag because you don't have a razorback. Because Dimebag didn't play a fucking Dean ML most of his career. I suppose you weren't intending to rip him off by wanting a Randall Century or an RG100ES and a Fuhrman parametric EQ right?

Your hero didn't play a shitty import Dean. Your hero played a real one and your hero would sound just like your hero no MATTER the guitar. It's fine wanting a guitar like your hero. It's not fine when you're sacrificing actually getting something decent and functional over some pointy fake ML because Dime played one. ESPECIALLY when you're limited in funds.

What you should be focusing on is actually getting a DECENT guitar and learn how to maintain your instruments so you can stop blaming your own faults and fixing missteps on the gear.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Fly on, fly on
Quote by Random3
Lemon Oil - £3.99
Allen key set - £6.99
Lighter fluid - £4.99
Old sock - free
Wire cutters - £3.00
Microfibre cloth - £3.00
Screwdriver set - £10

And really, you probably have screwdrivers already and don't need the wire cutters. Allan key set can be skipped too if you managed to keep the one that came with your guitar. The lemon oil and cloth you won't need if you get the dunlop 65 fretboard kit. You can get the 65 maintenance kit but its overkill.

So really total cost wouldn't be too bad if you can source the stuff from home.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
And really, you probably have screwdrivers already and don't need the wire cutters. Allan key set can be skipped too if you managed to keep the one that came with your guitar. The lemon oil and cloth you won't need if you get the dunlop 65 fretboard kit. You can get the 65 maintenance kit but its overkill.

So really total cost wouldn't be too bad if you can source the stuff from home.

Found this:
http://allegro.pl/klucze-imbus-z-kulka-1-5-10-mm-crv-9szt-profi-hex-i5399918716.html
Standard set of allan keys. Cheap so I think I'll get it.
I heard lemon oil ruins finish. I'll also get a cloth of some sort(you know, just in case)
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Found this:
http://allegro.pl/klucze-imbus-z-kulka-1-5-10-mm-crv-9szt-profi-hex-i5399918716.html
Standard set of allan keys. Cheap so I think I'll get it.
I heard lemon oil ruins finish. I'll also get a cloth of some sort(you know, just in case)

That's fine. You don't need an expensive set of allen keys anyway.

Lemon oil people use on unfinished fingerboards (like rosewood boards on Gibson style guitars or Ebony etc... So not a Fender style maple neck). Usually when people are cleaning the boards...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
A lot of it is also common sense. If you have access to Youtube you can't really go wrong when it comes to general maintenance.

This isn't chemistry, it's not like you need to mix 12.5ml of lighter fluid with 3ml of lemon oil, let it stew for 43 minutes and carefully apply it to the neck with a heated toothpick.

Guitars aren't intended to be disposable. As long as the guitar isn't a piece of crap, with proper maintenance they will last years.
Page 1 of 2