Hi, I am looking to buy a combo amp for under £200 (€300, $310). I will be using it mostly to practice at home, but will also be playing small venues solo (about 80-90 people, they won't be making any noise).

I have narrowed it down to the following options, I have chosen amps with over 30W, but if you don't think I need that much, then please tell me.

Roland Cube-40GX
Fender Mustang II V.2
Vox VT40+
Orange Crush 35RT
Marshal MG30CFX
Line6 Spider IV 30
Blackstar ID Core 40

I will get a chance to try some of these in about a month's time, but I wanted to filter out some amps before I go to a store.

I will be playing through these with an Epiphone Tribute Plus, and will play mostly Classic Rock, but also need some cleans.

Also, If there is anything that I can add to the list, please tell me.

Thanks In Advance,
Harris Mirza
is your budget flexible or is £200 the absolute maximum?

when playing at home how quietly do you have to play?

what's your definition of classic rock?

(sorry for all the questions )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you would still need to mic it, but a jet city 2112RC would be a viable option, and they are really cheap in Europe.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mirza.harris
Hi, I am looking to buy a combo amp for under £200 (€300, $310). I will be using it mostly to practice at home, but will also be playing small venues solo (about 80-90 people, they won't be making any noise).

I have narrowed it down to the following options, I have chosen amps with over 30W, but if you don't think I need that much, then please tell me.

Roland Cube-40GX
Fender Mustang II V.2
Vox VT40+
Orange Crush 35RT
Marshal MG30CFX
Line6 Spider IV 30
Blackstar ID Core 40

I will get a chance to try some of these in about a month's time, but I wanted to filter out some amps before I go to a store.

1st 3 choices yes, test drive. Last 4 you can skip as they are bottom feeders. Add a Super Champ X2 to your list and go play through some. 40w SS, or 15w tube will get it done.

I own a Roland Cube and Super Champ among others. I found the SCXD for $200 used and am still impressed with the classic rock vibe. Very useable for small gigs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
How much is a used Peavey ValveKing 112 over there? Jet city should work too.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
1st 3 choices yes, test drive. Last 4 you can skip as they are bottom feeders. Add a Super Champ X2

Right! The X2 is really great, even its OD. If you can score one, it's the way to go.

Roland very reliable.
Vox if british OD is your priority.
Mustang if you like a more sparkly clean (still I would pick the Vox which is overall better to me).

Jet city 2112RC

Not so classic but yea very nice sounding amp.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jun 3, 2015,
Hi, you will find these get bad press here, but mainly by clueless single minded people following the crowd. Have a look for Marshall AVT275 on Ebay. Usually less than £200. Tranny pre with 2 x 75w tube power. 4 channel. Very versatile, loud when you need. FX are a bit pants but they are quite old. reverb is perfect though. One of the very best amps I've ever owned...and I've owned a lot. The cleans are the best I've heard apart from my old Roland JC120. You wont get one of those for less than 200 notes though. Unfortunately.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Last edited by crackerjack123 at Jun 3, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you would still need to mic it, but a jet city 2112RC would be a viable option, and they are really cheap in Europe.

+1.

It's only playing small venues so may not even need to be mic'd. I've gigged my 20w Jet City & it's kept up easily without going through the PA.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Stretch to £230 and get a Vox AC4 ?

Or get a Fender Vaporizer, should be in budget
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Last edited by The Judist at Jun 3, 2015,
Quote by The Judist
Stretch to £230 and get a Vox AC4 ?

Or get a Fender Vaporizer, should be in budget

AC4 is a great home practice amp, but there's no way it's enough for gigging. It's also very definitely a one trick pony and only does cleans at low volume, the volume determines how much gain you have so as soon as you turn it up, the cleans disappear.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by ambler3 at Jun 3, 2015,
Quote by GaryBillington
AC4 is a great home practice amp, but there's no way it's enough for gigging. It's also very definitely a one trick pony and only does cleans at low volume, the volume determines how much gain you have so as soon as you turn it up, the cleans disappear.
He plays solo so doesn't have to clear a drumkit if I understood the OP correctly. Mic it for the PA and get some of it in the monitors.
Heck, I've seen someone use a Yamaha THR10 for a solo gig
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Tight budget, always buy used to get the most bang for the buck.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The Jet City looks really nice, but I would feel more comfortable buying something a little more powerful as I'll be with this amp for the foreseeable future.
Quote by mirza.harris
The Jet City looks really nice, but I would feel more comfortable buying something a little more powerful as I'll be with this amp for the foreseeable future.

A 20W valve amp will go louder and sound better doing it than a 30-40W solid state amp
Quote by mirza.harris

Unfortunately your budget won't hold up to your desire. Buy the Jet City, it's a good amp and it's unlikely you'll ever be lacking power with it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin