Hey, talented modding people-

Long story short- bought a "new, open box" Bugera 6262 off musiciansfriend for cheap money. Get it; doesnt power on. I take it to a tech thinking its a loose connection or the melted connector issue; he says everything looks good, but theres no power getting through the power transformer. His price to replace the transformer is going to be very expensive.

Im a very hands on guy, and I would love to get into modding. I know tube amps are dangerous, but Ive been watching/reading how to discharge filter caps and trying to learn basic amp safety. I WANT to replace the power transformer myself. I think it would be good for me to gain a better understanding of the inner workings of tube amplifiers (because I love them).

-can somebody recommend me a replacement power transformer that is appropriate for the 120 watt 6262 (preferably under $100 and good quality)
-insulated gloves(?) If that will be helpful for safety
-prefab insulated clips, or a sort of rod with the correct resistor connected so i can properly discharge the caps
-any additional tutorials/videos for replacing the power transformer
-i have soldering equipment. I am okay at soldering; probably about as good as the people who made the amp (with their time crunch and poor work conditions, lol)
-i have a multimeter

Thanks guys
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I suggest you start on other amps first. When an output transformer fries, there is often a cascading effect that takes out other components. You may have $400-$500 in repairs waiting for you. This is a can of worms you don't want to open and not the first step into tube amp repairs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
I suggest you start on other amps first. When an output transformer fries, there is often a cascading effect that takes out other components. You may have $400-$500 in repairs waiting for you. This is a can of worms you don't want to open and not the first step into tube amp repairs.

Its the power transformer. Isnt that different/make a difference (Right after the main power input?) Sorry, Im not trying to be ignorant, just curious.

The tech looked at all the components and said everything looked good (at a glance). But obviouly, theres no way to be sure since no power is getting past the power transformer.

Thanks
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

If there's any return policy whatsoever, send it back. Yesterday. You bought a doorstop. MF allows returns on open box items for 45 days; why do anything else? This is not a smart way to get started modding. Swapping transformers is not going to teach you anything besides how to curse loudly and match colors. Get a working amp first, then post here about preamp voicing and cathode pairs and all the fun stuff. There are cheap, fun, and effective ways to learn how to mod. Replacing a PT isn't one of them IMO. To add insult to injury, the PT is basically the last part you'd look at for making the amp sound any better. It's expensive and if it does its job right it doesn't make the amp sound any different.

The power transformer can and will absolutely blow other components down the line if it goes bad. Tubes, filter caps, supply resistors, the whole lot. They won't necessarily look bad either, that's a fun game called "guess what's broken now" and it is very expensive.

Blowing either transformer is bad news. The output transformer is more expensive and usually it will at most blow a set of tubes with it and maybe a couple resistors. Power transformers have the potential to wipe out a whole lot more, but usually a fuse will blow before the amp turns into a bonfire. So yes, you're probably ok and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the amp were perfectly fine, but I wouldn't void your warranty to find out.

I cannot stress enough how little I would want to own this amp as it stands at any price. If you have any ability to return it or refund it or dispute charges, do it now. The tech you took it to may be of help if you need to dispute charges, though MF is usually pretty easy to work with on returns.

If you really want to fix this thing yourself, see if Bugera will sell you the original PT. Otherwise you are going to have to mess around with dimensions, possibly cutting or punching the cab to fit a different size/orientation, etc. Drop-in power transformers like Mercury Magnetics makes to spec are about $200. I suspect a Hammond 290FX would work fine but that's $100 already and probably not the same dimensions. You could try looking for broken Bugeras to buy up for parts. Probably cheaper than buying an aftermarket PT that fits.
Okay guys- thank you. I appreciate the wise words. As much as Id like to hang on to the thing and make it work, I guess you all are right, and I should just bring it back. I still have the ability to make the return. I was just really hoping to make it work. Thanks again for all the helpful replies
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Don't be discouraged about learning to fix amps- go ahead and return your broken "new" one and buy a broken one for a broken price on ebay or something.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I bought a vypyr 30 when I first started learning guitar from them. It was "used in good condition" and it didnt work. I notified them, they paid the return fee, and sent me a brand new vypyr 30 for the same price($140). I'm sure they woulld work out the same for you.

If you really want to get into some modding, I'd suggest building a pedal. Most kits are under $100, they are fairly easy to build and are good learning experiences. Modding amps is a terrible kind of headache that can often turn out badly. Modding power transformers is mostly a high cost mod that does next to nothing for your tone unless you get one of different voltage.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1