Hello. Have to have mix mastered. Mix is 24-bit wav at 44.1 khz. Want to use the mastered file to make a demo single on CD. Don't know exactly how many CD demos will make, but will be more than one. Also, ultimately will use the mastered file as a part of a complete CD with several songs, but that is a long time off.

Figured the masterer would need to make 16-bit wav at 44.1 khz and burning plant would be able to just burn it to however many CDs I request. But someone recently suggested would need "DDP" for this process.

Could you please tell me which one, or both, of these file types I need. Thanks.
Quote by diabolical
I guess settle on duplication service and see what they want sent to them.

This. Always ask the people you're actually working with, not a bunch of random internet bozos.

- a random internet bozo
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
One company wants a CD. What do I do? Just burn the master to a CD on my computer and take it to them?

I'm doing this because I need info printed on the CD and don't want to try this at home.

Also, they said they use JVC CDs. Is there a preferred type?
Quote by selftaught1000
Hello. Have to have mix mastered. Mix is 24-bit wav at 44.1 khz. Want to use the mastered file to make a demo single on CD. Don't know exactly how many CD demos will make, but will be more than one. Also, ultimately will use the mastered file as a part of a complete CD with several songs, but that is a long time off.

Figured the masterer would need to make 16-bit wav at 44.1 khz and burning plant would be able to just burn it to however many CDs I request. But someone recently suggested would need "DDP" for this process.

Could you please tell me which one, or both, of these file types I need. Thanks.

It's 2015 - no one wants a CD. Put your music up on itunes/google play bandcamp etc.
This is a submission to a record label that requires CDs.

What CDs do you guys recommend for making the "master CD." I found a company who is willing to make just one for only $2.00. But they need a cd to duplicate. They want an audio CD, not a data disc. Just need to know (1) What type of CD to get and (2) how to make sure it is an audio CD playable in radios.

Thanks!
Sony, Verbtaim, and Titan CDs were the ones the various companies said they would use for duplication. Are any of these no-nos?
This doesn't sound right at all. When my band had our CDs made, the duplication company (Nashville Tape and Sound, they operate nationwide as WTS Media) took our digital files and discussed audio gaps with us, then made the master and duplicated it for the full run.

Whoever you're working with is starting at step 2 and you need someone who starts at step 1: creating the CD from the digital files (which should be WAV files).

edit: if your ONLY purpose of making a CD is to submit to a label, just burn one from iTunes using wav files (make sure iTunes doesn't turn them into mp3s on import). The label doesn't care what it looks like, they care that your music is good.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 3, 2015,
What about this idea. I burn mastered wav to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then I have them duplicate that CD.

I am not making this up. Some duplication companies want to duplicate audio CDs. Some start with the computer file.

I can't just up and go w/ the larger companies because I need only one CD to start.
Quote by selftaught1000
What about this idea. I burn mastered wav to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then I have them duplicate that CD.

I am not making this up. Some duplication companies want to duplicate audio CDs. Some start with the computer file.

I can't just up and go w/ the larger companies because I need only one CD to start.

If you only need one CD, why are you duplicating?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by diabolical
[quo="Sid McCall"]If you only need one CD, why are you duplicating?

This.

Offhand Studio one Producer and Sony CD Architect come to mind when you want to create professional audio CD as close to Redbook at home. Nero hasn't let me down or Roxio on Mac. Slower speed is better as there are less errors. Test on few different systems if you can.

I go TDK audio discs or Tayo Yuden for important jobs.
This:
http://www.amazon.com/TDK-CDR80-Audio-Spindle-10/dp/B000ZPQI06/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433442626&sr=1-21&keywords=TDK+cd

Guitar Center used to sell the higher quality CDs for mastering jobs in Pro Audio so check with them.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 4, 2015,
I need the CD to have info printed on it. I can't do that at home w/o investing money I'm unwilling to spend. Also, unsure the quality would be as good as a burning plant.

I have been give two options by the companies. (1) Let them use the .wav to make the CD w/ printed info. (2) Let them use a CD to make the CD w/ printed info.

Based on what you said, it seems that looking for one who uses the .wav makes most sense. I'll do that. The one issue is that I only want one CD for now. Many of these burning plants require you to buy like 50.
Also, is there a difference between a "Redbook" CD and a CD expect that the Redbook Cd wouldn't have any info printed on it? I ask because I'll probably end up asking the burning plant for one Redbook CD and one or two of the ones I am going to distribute. I want to make sure I know what I am talking about.
Quote by selftaught1000
I need the CD to have info printed on it. I can't do that at home w/o investing money I'm unwilling to spend. Also, unsure the quality would be as good as a burning plant.

I have been give two options by the companies. (1) Let them use the .wav to make the CD w/ printed info. (2) Let them use a CD to make the CD w/ printed info.

Based on what you said, it seems that looking for one who uses the .wav makes most sense. I'll do that. The one issue is that I only want one CD for now. Many of these burning plants require you to buy like 50.

Re: bolded part...no you don't. You don't need that AT ALL. Just write on it with a sharpie.

Unless the company SPECIFICALLY requires a printed front, then don't bother. They don't care what your CD looks like, they care what it SOUNDS like.

Source: I work for a MAJOR music publisher* and nobody gives half a crap what your CD looks like unless it reeks of trying-too-hard. We make comps of our signed writers to pass out to labels and other industry professionals, and we just print the labels on these and then apply them with this and it never looks 100% perfect but nobody gives a crap.

Don't waste your money with these companies, you don't need a professional service right now. Just burn the .wav to any old name-brand CD with iTunes and slap an avery sticker label on it. Boom, you have the EXACT same quality demo CD as an international billion-dollar publishing company.

*no unsolicited submissions, sorry. I'd love to help but don't want to lose my job :/
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
This submission is solicited.

Can anyone burn w/ iTunes? I don't use iTunes.

Why not Windows Media Player? We all have that.
Quote by selftaught1000
This submission is solicited.

Can anyone burn w/ iTunes? I don't use iTunes.

Why not Windows Media Player? We all have that.

Oh I know the label you're submitting to is soliciting submissions, I'm just saying please don't send it to me and expect me to do anything, because even if I do listen I can't confirm that I listened

Go ahead and burn with windows media player if that's a thing. I don't use it, so I don't know if it can burn. iTunes is free for everyone as well, but if you don't use it then by all means use something else - I just know for a fact that it will burn a .wav to a CD and you can tell it to go super super slow to reduce the chance of errors.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I burned with Windows Media Player onto standard Memorex that you get at Best Buy. Worked and sounds pretty good, though there may be a slight loss in quality that will probably not be perceptible to everyone.

I didn't see a whole lot of settings. I went to Burn, More Burn Options, and selected "slow" for burn speed. Then I unchecked the box to apply even volume across level of all tracks as well as the box to use media information to arrange files in folders on the disc.

I'm almost thinking that I should have a company make me a CD to see if I notice a difference between what I did and what they do.
Also, what about using using a Sharpie to write onto the disc itself? Do you recommend a particular marker?

If I can get away w/ it w/o messing up the disc, I'd rather just write on it than invest money in printing labels at home, especially when I don't have artwork and the info is quite basic.
Quote by selftaught1000
Also, what about using using a Sharpie to write onto the disc itself? Do you recommend a particular marker?

If I can get away w/ it w/o messing up the disc, I'd rather just write on it than invest money in printing labels at home, especially when I don't have artwork and the info is quite basic.

I use Staedtler medium permanent, it seems to have better control than Sharpie and they last much longer. I buy them from Texas Art Supply.
Quote by diabolical
Media player burns CDs so if you want to go that route.

There's also Burrrrn - freeware CD burner which I use sometimes as it handles flac files among other things.
Try the CD in a few players and see if it sounds right.

I did use Windows Media Player to burn the 16-bit wav onto the CD. It doesn't sound bad. My mom liked it, and she really doesn't like heavy metal and rap. It's just that the quality sounded slightly less good to my ears, which are quite sensitive to the song by now.

My concern is that Windows Media Player and/or Memorex might have taken a little bit out of the sound. 2 ways to proceed: (1) Let someone else burn a CD and see how it sounds. (2) Try new software and/or CD. (2) is cost-prohibitive right now.

I don't think flac is a solution at this stage. The masterer gave 16-bit wav, which sounds good, and I don't want to mess around w/ a file type that may not be universally playable.
There is a very good software named CDBURNERXP that will burn just about anything. I have used to it often to burn a disc that was a combination of .mp3 and .wav files. It works well and is extremely easy to understand. Just Google cdburnerxp and download.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by selftaught1000
I did use Windows Media Player to burn the 16-bit wav onto the CD. It doesn't sound bad. My mom liked it, and she really doesn't like heavy metal and rap. It's just that the quality sounded slightly less good to my ears, which are quite sensitive to the song by now.

My concern is that Windows Media Player and/or Memorex might have taken a little bit out of the sound. 2 ways to proceed: (1) Let someone else burn a CD and see how it sounds. (2) Try new software and/or CD. (2) is cost-prohibitive right now.

I don't think flac is a solution at this stage. The masterer gave 16-bit wav, which sounds good, and I don't want to mess around w/ a file type that may not be universally playable.

WMP and Memorex will not give you a bad result, anything you think you hear you're probably imagining or it's a difference caused by the playback converters from your cd player.

I write on mine with sharpies and it's always held up.

Pretty sure you're good to go with the CD that you just made, don't let your head get in the way - accepting that you're done and going through with a scary submission can be difficult, all that's left for you to do now is take a deep breath and mail that CD!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Burrn doesn't seem to have an established reputation. BurnImg seems more established.

I don't like downloading stuff like this because it usually contains bloatware and I record on this machine. Thanks for the link though.
Quote by Sid McCall
WMP and Memorex will not give you a bad result, anything you think you hear you're probably imagining or it's a difference caused by the playback converters from your cd player.

I write on mine with sharpies and it's always held up.

Pretty sure you're good to go with the CD that you just made, don't let your head get in the way - accepting that you're done and going through with a scary submission can be difficult, all that's left for you to do now is take a deep breath and mail that CD!

You are probably right. I question whether people would detect the difference in double blind. The song sounds quite good. As I said, my mom noted it and she doesn't really like either of those genres of music.

I've got enough info here for sure. Thanks.
Quote by selftaught1000
You are probably right. I question whether people would detect the difference in double blind. The song sounds quite good. As I said, my mom noted it and she doesn't really like either of those genres of music.

I've got enough info here for sure. Thanks.

No problemo. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by selftaught1000
Burrn doesn't seem to have an established reputation. BurnImg seems more established.

I don't like downloading stuff like this because it usually contains bloatware and I record on this machine. Thanks for the link though.

Considering that you're using Microsoft's toy music player vs a full fledged CD burning app I don't know which has a worse reputation
I don't have that dilemma since I burn out of Sony CD Architect which is a pro app, but all my car CDs come out of Burrn...on my recording PC
Then why not BurnImg, which seems to be more established?

Also, I was okay w/ using WMP because it is built-in. I'm trying to avoid adding more programs to this machine since I record on it.