Last year I had an idea for an album/EP comprised of songs that were around 30 seconds long each. As usual, I forgot about that idea.
I did however record a fast paced punk track which is exactly 30.5 seconds long, so there's that.

https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/30-second-punk

I tried to go for a very energetic, punchy but also airy mix. Everything was given plenty of space and the guitars actually aren't that distorted; the bass has some crunch to it which is what's filling it out.

Questions, comments and feedback requests welcome!
Thanks very much! I like to make my stuff sound big but I also like to be able to hear everything. It also helps that since I play guitar and bass and have a keen interest in drums, I'm not biased into making one louder than the others
The drums are programmed, but I'm learning to play. At the moment, I'm using Robbie Williams' 'Escapology' as practice material and can pretty much play a lot of it... kinda.
I'll check out yours.
Thanks again for the feedback!
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Thanks very much! I like to make my stuff sound big but I also like to be able to hear everything. It also helps that since I play guitar and bass and have a keen interest in drums, I'm not biased into making one louder than the others
The drums are programmed, but I'm learning to play. At the moment, I'm using Robbie Williams' 'Escapology' as practice material and can pretty much play a lot of it... kinda.
I'll check out yours.
Thanks again for the feedback!

It's good that you're learning, I wish I knew how to play drums. But one way or another the drums sounded really nice even if programmed.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Last year I had an idea for an album/EP comprised of songs that were around 30 seconds long each. As usual, I forgot about that idea.
I did however record a fast paced punk track which is exactly 30.5 seconds long, so there's that.

https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/30-second-punk

I tried to go for a very energetic, punchy but also airy mix. Everything was given plenty of space and the guitars actually aren't that distorted; the bass has some crunch to it which is what's filling it out.

Questions, comments and feedback requests welcome!

Damn, now that's how you mix! I honestly don't even know what I would change; I would basically just keep it exactly as is lol.

The 30 seconds idea is pretty awesome too! Although I agree with the rest; this kinda deserves a full-length piece, it sounds great. How did you make it that airy? With the EQ on the master bus, or did you add (/remove) anything else besides the regular mastering-equipment?

Keep up the good work man
Very nice sound man, the drums are really punchy? (if thats the word). The bass sits very well in the mix and I love the the guitar tone, it's heavy but not it's not thin or gainy. What drum programming software do you use?
C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676989
Quote by DENTS
Damn, now that's how you mix! I honestly don't even know what I would change; I would basically just keep it exactly as is lol.

The 30 seconds idea is pretty awesome too! Although I agree with the rest; this kinda deserves a full-length piece, it sounds great. How did you make it that airy? With the EQ on the master bus, or did you add (/remove) anything else besides the regular mastering-equipment?

Keep up the good work man

Thanks very much for the support!
I don't tend to use any presets and if I do, they're fairly heavily modified, so it's different every time.
On this particular one, I just had an EQ, a parallel compressor, another compressor and a spectrum analyzer
Pic:

Normally, I'd use Supercharger (not the GT version) for the majority of the compression heavy lifting because I love the sound, but I particularly like the EZMix 2 one as well.
In this case SCGT is just adding a bit of warmth and saturation.
The EQ just removes some of the excessive low end.
Here's a pre-master export. Not a massive difference, but hey, it's the finishing touches

Quote by Poisonouspot
Very nice sound man, the drums are really punchy? (if thats the word). The bass sits very well in the mix and I love the the guitar tone, it's heavy but not it's not thin or gainy. What drum programming software do you use?

Thanks to you too!
I really like having nice punchy drums. I mean, the two things that you would feel live are the drums and bass, so I like to give them lots of presence in the mix. Believe it or not, the guitar tones are from PODFarm 2. It's an older version of the tone I use a lot now which is based on the Soldano model with some tweaks and not too much low end.
The drums are the EZDrummer 2 "Metal!" expansion (in the words of Toontrack, "Sometimes the word metal just isn’t enough, it needs an exclamation mark!").
I set all of the mixer channels to their own channels in Mixcraft and mix them individually. Generally, the kick, snare, hats, toms and overheads get compressors and the rest (room, ambient, reverb, etc.) is mixed to taste. I almost always add a bit of reverb to the snare though. Generally something like a medium hall.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I'll check out yours Poisonouspot
Hello there.

Like everyone else has said above - the mix sounds perfect - it sounded like it came straight off a CD or something. Very impressive. You have some serious talent there man. I cant think to anything to offer in crit.

I had a listen to some of your other stuff on soundcloud too - it all sounds very well performed and mixed. You have a definite talent for being able to isolate the key components of different styles and put that into your tracks. I particularly liked you Mixtest Jan 2015 piece - but I guess I'm thread jacking now

Anyway - very impressive work all around.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677842

Cheers