Okay, so I have a crappy starter amp that my parents bought off on amazon in a starter pack. It has BC in it an as does the guitar it came with. The amp is ten watts, has one input, a head phone imput, a drive button, one treble knob and a bass knob. There is no mid knob, and I do not have money to buy a new amp at the moment. I was hoping for some way to adjust to make the amp better sounding, but sadly you get what you pay for. I am running through a ten foot cable, a seymor duncan pickup in a yahmaha eterna, and prefer distortion. Thanks for any help!
I would just save up for a new amp. No pedal is going to make a cheap pack starter amp sound but so good. So the ~$100 dollars you spend on a pedal could go to an amp.

If anything, you could find a Behringer delay pedal and the EHX Soul Food.
You get what you pay for. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors... then get a better amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
$20 instrument to USB interface from Amazon or a Rocksmith cable and free amp sims on your computer.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Cajundaddy
You get what you pay for. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors... then get a better amp.

this. sorry but no pedal is gonna solve your problem and the money would be better used to get a better amp. you cn get a Peavey Vypyr seies amp for pretty cheap. this may be the one time (god help me) i suggest looking for a cheap used Line 6 as even tht would be bette than what you have.
Quote by monwobobbo
this. sorry but no pedal is gonna solve your problem and the money would be better used to get a better amp. you cn get a Peavey Vypyr seies amp for pretty cheap. this may be the one time (god help me) i suggest looking for a cheap used Line 6 as even tht would be bette than what you have.
The 15-watt Spider is dirt cheap. Don't go up any higher on the Spider line, though. You won't need any effects pedals and you can learn what sounds you like and how to get them. I'd recommend a Vox VT myself.
Quote by diabolical
If it has fx send/return or some kind of stereo input you can bypass the preamp and stick a distortion pedal straight through that. Give us the model or pictures to see what you're working with.
I highly doubt an amp from a starter pack has an fx loop.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 4, 2015,
You're set. Time for some true Black Metal darkthrone/Burzum stuff.
Now, jokes aside, I'd save money for a proper amp.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I second the new amp suggestion, even just to a small Spider or Vypyr or something similar. Go to a guitar shop and try a few, see what you like.

Getting effects pedals and putting them in front of an unnamed "starter pack amp" is not a good idea.
I'm thinking that amp is more likely to have mp3 player input to play along to. This will bypass the crappy preamp stage and work as PA speaker.
Whatever you do, don't get the Line6 budget amps, they won't sound much better than your starter kit.
Look at used amps, Peavey Vaslveking is one that comes to mind that goes for about the price of Spider used.