Page 1 of 2
1/6

in my defence im nursing a slew of illnesses atm including a gnarly ear infection and im only listening out of one side from a pair of 10 dollar earbuds lets go

Whats up UG I thought we had some high level audio peeps here somewhere
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
2/6 entirely by chance.

Quote by c3powil

the pit has grown up
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by c3powil

Your thread had been open for twenty minutes and it's nearly midnight EST.
Free Ali
All I have right now are my shitty $10 earbuds, someone remind me to try this when I actually have decent headphones on.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Pretty shitty quiz.

I have a good bit of my favorite music in both shitty and better format (namely, 128 to 320 mp3) and it's not difficult for me to tell the difference when I'm listening between the two.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by chrismendiola
Your thread had been open for twenty minutes and it's nearly midnight EST.

Old pit would have been 5 pages deep by now...

RIP OLD PIT
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Is it wrong that my guesses are based on what took the longest to load?

You got 5 out of 6 correct!

If you did well on this and were listening through built-in speakers, you either have extraordinary ears or got lucky. If you had trouble picking out different versions of these songs, we give you permission to blame your tools. The speakers on your phone, laptop or tablet weren’t made for anything resembling hi-definition audio. Plug in a pair of headphones and try again.

Quote by KingDime666
It's dubstep minor in E.

Quote by steve_muse
I bet I'm gunna love Revolt #plottwist
3/5

omitted a song because I refuse to willfully listen to coldplay

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I did the first two and realized I should probably be doing this on headphones and not my shitty laptop speakers. Will report back later.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
3/5

omitted a song because I refuse to willfully listen to coldplay

lol aside from Mozart and Jay Z (they picked a song from his worst album so in this case just Mozart) Coldplay is the best artist on that list though.
I got 1/5 but for all the wrong ones I said 320 kbps. I doubt my speakers are good enough to tell the difference after that anyway.
3/6. I got bored after the first 3, and without carefully listening over and over I had to guess between the 2 that sounded good and got 320kbs all 3 times.

I have headphones and a DAC and 320kbs or v0 is what I go for.
2/6 but to be fair, I'm on my phone in the break room with people taking and the tv on. All of which are louder than my cheapie Apple Earbuds.

I did a pretty good job of singling out the 128 kbps songs. I narrowed it down to one of the two for all of them except one.

Will try again at home.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 3, 2015,
4/6

The two I got wrong were both 320kps, and the only reason I picked those was because I forgot about the high frequency disparity between WAV and 320kps which made me think 'oh wait, that might be an artifact', nah it was me being silly.

They were also the quieter pieces, which is a bit harder to do that loud ones.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
it'd be interesting to listen to all of these on a good stereo and speakers. On these $30 ear buds there's not much difference.
8/6, I have godlike ears!!

Or not. I got 2/6, and those were lucky guesses. Neither my ears nor the earbuds I was using are up to the task.

As with most things, audio corksniffery abounds.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
5/6 with Audio Technica M30s straight from my laptop's soundcard.
Only got the JayZ one wrong, I imagine because there weren't a lot of high or clear mid frequencies to distinguish between.
5/6. Shitty PC speakers.

It was harder to tell the difference in the rap song and the neil young one compared to the rest and the neil young was a tossup between 2 options for me and both were 320 or uncompressed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've done it three times and gotten 3/6 every time. Some of them are decently noticeable but not enough to pay an extra ten bucks a month.

Those two quiet ones get me every time. I have no idea.
They should've included a vinyl recording for the lolz
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
i wish they had actually used compression artifacts for those images in the collage they have

edit: this thing

that's just random noise. i'll come back and do it for interest.
5/6

Got it on all except the Jay Z one. Took forever for one of the clips to load (the correct one), so I went with the better of the two that I listened to. In retrospect it probably took longer to load because it was a larger, uncompressed file.

the moral of the story is that compression is a miracle
Quote by Eastwinn

the moral of the story is that compression is a miracle

a miracle because they all look exactly the same?

or is that the point?

sorry i'm new to this
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
a miracle because they all look exactly the same?

or is that the point?

sorry i'm new to this

i'm sure there are a few pixels off here and there. i mistakenly compressed them as 800x800 images then scaled them to 130x130 images. all of the artifacts of compression, which were extremely minor, disappeared on the resize, so i'm really not demonstrating anything except gimp's interpolations algorithms

image compression is absolutely insane, but even general lossless (no artifacts) algorithms like lzma or zlib will frequently outperform image-specific lossy (artifacts) like those in jpeg. so what i'm saying is that we live in the future, hoverboards are coming but you will need to wait a few moments for them to decompress after shipment
The Jay-Z one is easy. The reverb lacks a certain depth except on the WAV.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Eastwinn
so what i'm saying is that we live in the future, hoverboards are coming but you will need to wait a few moments for them to decompress after shipment

oh ok, gotcha
Quote by EpiExplorer
The Jay-Z one is easy. The reverb lacks a certain depth except on the WAV.

Yeah that one and the Katy Perry one were easy
Quote by chrismendiola
Imagine being an audiophile. I'd be properly miserable.

Agreed.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Joshua Garcia
2/6 but to be fair, I'm on my phone in the break room with people taking and the tv on. All of which are louder than my cheapie Apple Earbuds.

I did a pretty good job of singling out the 128 kbps songs. I narrowed it down to one of the two for all of them except one.

Will try again at home.
Took it again and now I got 3/6.
Only guessed one was 128 kbps again as well.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i got 4/6 but i'm blaming poor headphones rather than admit my ears are out, a few years ago i might have aced it

i could tell the difference between 320 and 128 in all examples but between lossless and 320 is where it gets a bit tricky
Page 1 of 2