http://imgur.com/gallery/6DebJ/new

There's a few things that aren't done, but I'm playing it and it's taking wear so it won't ever look better than it does today.

If I'm being hard on myself I'd say it could use a better set-up but it already plays as well as any of my store-bought guitars. I want to save up for a neck with a different headstock, I want to add a Drop-D tuner, replace all the pickups and turn the tone circuit into the G&L PTB circuit once I get my bass roll-off pot delivered.
I like the Tele style bridge and the color.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
lol...looks a heck of a lot better than my first build!

Making guitars is a lot more work than people realize, I don't know how much you bought pre-made, and how much you did from scratch*, but either way you should be proud of yourself!

You can check out my profile here to see more guitars I've made since my first build
(I do make those entirely from scratch)

Here's my Guitars' facebook

Hope you had fun and get inspired to try it again!

*Edit: My gf pointed out you can scroll on that link! So I saw more pics, it looks like you did most of the work on your own. Good job, man!
Last edited by RestinPeaceDime at Jun 3, 2015,
Also, I noticed you said you wanted to save for a new neck because you didn't want the Squire headstock. If that's all you don't like about the neck, and want to save money, you can always modify the shape. I actually changed a squire headstock a year or so ago. Here's some pics

Before <-------

After <---------

If you like the shape and want to copy it, beware that I cut a little too much near the tip, and the original squire tuners don't fit:

Oops <---------

Either way, I just drew some lines on the headstock til I liked what I had and cut em with a jigsaw.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Good luck!
I like your guitars. I think I would like to have an aftermarket neck eventually. I don't know exactly what I want right now. I know the body I made is most suitable for a "non-pointy" headstock. I was also thinking that a maple fretboard would look nicer.

Thanks h4t3. I appreciate it.
oh wow, very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for taking the time to check em out, paul. And I'm glad you liked!

I understand wanting a better neck, but I figured since I had worked on the same neck, it'd be relevant to show you what I did. Of course you could design a different shape to cut out that's less pointy, I even sketched one out last night for kicks.

As far as aftermarket necks go, they're usually quite expensive. I haven't played one...so I won't say whether or not they're worth it, but I'd encourage you to try making one yourself. If you had fun making the body, I imagine you'll enjoy making a neck.

Fretting can indeed be frustrating and finicky, but it's all doable. I imagine you could even do the designing, shaping, and gluing; buy the fretboard pre radiused and slotted (the popular luthier supply companies all sell them), and if you don't want to fret it, just find a tech/repair guy you trust. It would still probably end up cheaper than paying for a complete neck from a company like Warmoth, and you'd have it the way you want it. Price it all out and see what you think. (I carved my first neck out of pine from Home Depot/Lowes just to test my ability to even make it happen, I was surprised with my results.)

A note on maple boards: they are notorious for getting dirty with all the gunk that comes from the player's hands. Most (all?) companies who sell guitars with maple boards put a finish on them to keep that from happening. Some use a hard poly type finish, and I've seen people recommend using CA glue (super glue) as it dries fast, and is also quite hard. In either circumstance, there's a good chance the finish will still wear through in time and the dark marks will start appearing. I've always liked the idea of maple boards, but they can be more work.

Anyway, I figured I'd offer any info I can. Good job on the first build!
By the way, "Duncan Design" doesn't mean "done to Duncan specs" exactly.

In my experience it means "cheap Asian pickup with a cosmetic resemblance to a real Duncan pickup."

I have a lovely old ('92) Samick that came with two Duncan Design pickups that looked very much like Hot Rails in the neck and middle positions. Unfortunately, nasty sounding things. And they were two-wire pickups, while real Hot Rails are four-wire. I pulled them and replaced them with the real thing. Muuuuuch better. I have no idea what the bridge pickup is, but it's appropriately raucous and rock and roll, so it stayed.

Quote by Tony Done
I like it, it has a lot of the things I would have - HSS, hardtail bridge, top mounted jack socket.

Honestly, if I were having it done, I'd move that jack socket around to the BACK of the guitar. This is Pat Cummings showing off his patented USB connector setup (the light blue glowing thingie), but notice
1. Where the output jack is located and
2. Where the strap button lives on this guitar.

Both are vewwy vewwy cool ideas.

Quote by dspellman
Honestly, if I were having it done, I'd move that jack socket around to the BACK of the guitar. This is Pat Cummings showing off his patented USB connector setup (the light blue glowing thingie), but notice
1. Where the output jack is located and
2. Where the strap button lives on this guitar.

Both are vewwy vewwy cool ideas.

Yeah, that's neat. However, I always play seated, and I just like the idea of being able to see and reach the socket easily. FWIW, neither the side mount nor the acoustic-style endpin mount work particularly well with my preferred stands - that back mount would be fine in that respect.
Thanks guys. There's a bunch of things that in retrospect I would have preferred to have done differently but all in all I feel pretty good.
The jack and strap button placements are interesting ideas. I didn't honestly know if I would prefer the front-mounted jack until I was done. Now I'm glad I did it. I don't know why anyone would do a side mount at all now. It gets in the way. If I didn't want a front mount I would probably do the rear mount instead.

My goal for this btw was to create the fender guitar that fender doesn't make. The body is more Offset than strat (but not really offset either), the bridge from a humbucker equipped telecaster and two strat single coils. When I get the pickups replaced (it's true that they're not very nice sounding) it should have a good, versatile array of tones.
I didn't mention it before but I wired it up using the Suhr HSS scheme, so it has roughly 500k on the humbucker and 250k on the singles.
Quote by dspellman

I have a lovely old ('92) Samick that came with two Duncan Design pickups that looked very much like Hot Rails in the neck and middle positions. Unfortunately, nasty sounding things.

Sounds like they're pretty close to the real things
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?