I have a 2006 Rickenbacker 4003 bass. It has, not only a bowed neck, but a twist to it as well. Also the through-neck is not quite flesh with the body, almost like its pulling itself out! So far I took it to Guitar Center, they said the truss rods wouldn't tighten any farther, and could not get the "bow" out. I know the warranty with Rickenbacker was only for 6 years, so that's a no go. Maybe I should find a certified luthier? Any other suggestions? This instrument has never been rough-housed or dropped, how could the neck have gotten so screwed up?
sometimes these things happen. Warping or twisting is never something to look forward to. I bought a Kerry King BC Rich guitar dirt cheap like 125$ or so for a guitar i knew the street value was double easily. I brought it home and put my strings low and all to find out the neck was warped. I did make more off of it than I paid but I'd never buy from this shop again.

a few things contribute to warping and twisting. I avoid direct sunlight , apply lemon oil to the fretboards of my guitars with rosewood / ebony fretboards and haven't had a problem yet. Only one of my guitars is brand new bought from a shop, the others in my collection were used but still play great.

a luthier would be the best idea. I mean they are going to take off all the frets and re-raidus the board (i may not be using the right term) and that is a lot of work But in the end if the frets are perfectly leveled you'll love the bass even more. That is why the trussrod won't correct the issue. Suggestion wise though try local. I know local guys as I used to buy and sell guitars they would email every guitar tech on craigslist and try to get a quote even without bringing the guitar in which was hilarious because no two jobs are the same to a certain degree and my friend who fixes warped necks and all he said it used to drive him nuts when people cared more about saving money than their guitar playing the way it should. Ive got a few horror stories people told me about but that will be for another time.
Quote by kgraham0103
I have a 2006 Rickenbacker 4003 bass. It has, not only a bowed neck, but a twist to it as well. Also the through-neck is not quite flesh with the body, almost like its pulling itself out! So far I took it to Guitar Center, they said the truss rods wouldn't tighten any farther, and could not get the "bow" out. I know the warranty with Rickenbacker was only for 6 years, so that's a no go. Maybe I should find a certified luthier? Any other suggestions? This instrument has never been rough-housed or dropped, how could the neck have gotten so screwed up?

i would also take it to a luthier. there are no home remedies for fixing a dual truss rod neck-through ric. they are ways to work a warp/twist out of a neck but unfortunately they're not usually permanent. still, doesn't hurt to get an eyes-on assessment. find somebody with current repair experience in electric basses. check their work before you commit to anything. luthiers in general create new instruments (i'm one) not necessarily repair them, but the good repairmen know all the tricks to making them work. you need to find one of them. imo, this isn't the task for a GC bench tech.

usually internet forum triage is 99% guesswork, but what's the humidity like where you keep your guitar? sometimes a piece of neck wood has stress in it in one form or another the doesn't manifest until later. rapid humidity fluctuations can trigger "issues" with guitars years down the road. my clue was when you said that "Also the through-neck is not quite flesh with the body" this suggests to me that something is moving within the guitar that may be environment or stress related that i assume wasn't there when you bought it?

btw, are the frets poking out of the edge of the fretboard, sunken below the edges of the fretboard, or just fine?

also, considering this: "I took it to Guitar Center, they said the truss rods wouldn't tighten any farther,", this could create additional problems in terms of bottoming out the rods. i hope they backed them off a bit before they returned it to you.
Last edited by ad_works at Jun 4, 2015,
I bought this brand new in 2006. Back then, as an 18 year old, I was definitely guilty of leaving it in a hot car a time or two from 2006-2008. Never noticed any abnormalities during this time (however I'm sure your right, that is was the initial cause of the current issues). From 2008-2011, it sat in it's case in my climate controlled house with little to know use. Lastly it was back in full action from 2012-2015, however it was never exposed to extreme weather or man-handling. It was during this period that I noticed the neck bowing, however it was still usable. In 2014, I took it to Sam Ash for a neck adjustment. It was fitted with a light gauge set of flatwounds, and seemed a little better. I hadn't noticed any twisting at this point, nor the neck raising from the body. I'm assuming the tech didn't either, as he didn't say anything. I first noticed the twist and neck/body issue early this year, took it to GC. They said the truss rod won't turn any further, They Did indeed backed it off. Now I'm in my current situation, looking to see if someone can do something for it, without it costing me my entire savings account.