Yesterday I upgraded from a 2007 HP Latitude with a soldered in charger, Windows XP, and many other quirks and got a MacBook pro from my family as a graduation gift (very thankful as I don't get that kind of help from them often). the only negative thing I've noted about the recording aspect so far is that I have to crank my audio interface gain for my Mic to be effective at a reasonable volume, which, of course, introduces a bit of noise. I did look at a few of those unhelpful YouTube videos which just tell you how to select your interface as a device. so I got that far. I read one source saying this is something I might just have to deal with. I hope this isn't true. the DAW I'm using is reaper. any help, as always, is much appreciated.
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

play good shit on shitty gear, not shitty shit on good gear

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
I read one source saying this is something I might just have to deal with. I hope this isn't true.
I'm sorry for you then 'cause this is the most plausible cause.

To be sure that you have selected your mic as audio input device scratch the grille and see if the meters in reaper light up.

If they do then you have selected the right input device, and either your mic has a low output signal or your audio interface has a low input gain.

Just to be sure, what mic and audio interface do you have?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have an alesis io2 and a SM57
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
Then your interface has little gain and a high S/N ratio, and you can do nothing about it.

EDIT: well you could get another interface or a cloudlifter, but I'd highly recommend the first option.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 4, 2015,
alright. you think I'd be good just keeping that interface? it works fine beyond that. unless my recording quality would suffer I hardly care.

Okay, whoa, hang on, this has NOTHING to do with your computer. What are you listening back through?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Alesis Elevate 3 monitors

Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
Alesis Elevate 3 monitors

Okay, so it's not like you're monitoring through the laptop speakers and can't hear your input.

If it's just a crappy signal-to-noise-ratio, then you know what your next upgrade will need to be - a better interface. That's all there is to it, I'm afraid. In the meantime you may be better off recording a little less hot and boosting the signal in the box.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
by "in the box" you mean after it's recorded, right?

Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
by "in the box" you mean after it's recorded, right?

Yeah with a plugin or something.

Are you familiar with proper gain staging techniques? If not, so a little bit of reading on that and it'll help you get everything balanced out really nicely. It's an absolutely essential part of getting a good mix.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
The new computer will have nothing to do with this, you should have same signal to noise ratio on inputs.
Maybe you need to get latest drivers even though USB stereo might be native to the OS.

Cheap solution mic pre - look at Art.
alright, thanks guys. I'll do everything you suggested