Page 1 of 2
I have recently fixed my peavey 400g head and I have 2 ten inch speakers. The problem is the new transistors keep burning open or short and to update all the transistors is around 100 dollars. I am think I might just want to invest in a tube amp for at home use. I have never used a tube amp before and have no idea what kind I should get. I do like to play my music loud, but sometimes don't want to wake up the baby. What would be the best option for me? I never have played a gig or anything like that. I wouldn't say that is out of the realm of possibilities. What do you all think? Any advice would be appreciated.
Depends on your playing style and major influences. There are about a dozen small tube amps tha sound good and don't cost too much. The One I currently use is aimed at vintage classic rock tone... Super Champ XD. I like it a lot.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
My bad. I like heavy rock n roll and 80 hairbands. I mostly play metallica and Black label society. I have no idea how many watts I would need.
I also have the digitech heavy metal petal that I would like to use with it.
Quote by tysona23
I also have the digitech heavy metal petal that I would like to use with it.

No.

Just No.

Especially not for the sounds you're looking for.

What's your budget, used or new, where are you located?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I am in Utah. I wouldn't want to spend more than 500 and that is pushing it. I just want a solid tube amp that I can feel good about. It doesn't have to shake the house.
I am all ears on how to get the sound I want. I have no idea, please share. . .
There are only about eleven bazillion and six amps that will get you that sound available in the US for $500 or less.

Give us a little more detail as to exactly who/what you want to sound like and we can narrow this down a bit.

You would also get more (and better) answers in the "Guitar Gear and Accessories" forum. Just put as much detail in your query as possible.
Charles Darwin
It won't let me post a thread in that section for some reason. I see metallica uses a marshall in the one video. I see a 15 w marshall for about 500, but how much sound can you get out of a 15w? If I could get one for 200 or less and get dang near the same sound quality I would be glad to go that route.
I want a metallica sound. No if ands or buts. One that can cover all of the albums even though I love the kill em all tone.
Moved to Guitar Gear and Accessories

(sorry Roc )
My God, it's full of stars!
What type of guitar are you using? That will help us help you.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by tysona23
It won't let me post a thread in that section for some reason. I see metallica uses a marshall in the one video. I see a 15 w marshall for about 500, but how much sound can you get out of a 15w? If I could get one for 200 or less and get dang near the same sound quality I would be glad to go that route.

Some Marshalls are better than others. Some are utter crap.

You won't get for $200 what you'll get for $500, but we may be able to keep you under $350 or so.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Dreadnought
Moved to Guitar Gear and Accessories

(sorry Roc )

Good Man!!
Charles Darwin
I have a fernandez retrorocket with hotrails installed and the bridge with stock single coils on the neck
if you don't want to waken the baby i'm not sure tube is the thing. though i suppose you could use the tube amp when you play loud (as you say in the opening post) and then get some form of headphone pod type thingy for when you need to be really quiet?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, let's forget about the baby. I want a loud crunchy tube amp for around 250. Give me a name and a model number. I wan't to sound as hellish as possible with a good clean tone when I need it!
Should you play metal on anything other than a tube? I guess I am open to suggestions.
Quote by tysona23
Ok, let's forget about the baby. I want a loud crunchy tube amp for around 250. Give me a name and a model number. I wan't to sound as hellish as possible with a good clean tone when I need it!

sorry dude but $250 and hellish metal tone don't go hand in hand. oh and you wnat good cleans as well. good luck. metal often sounds better using a tube amp but it isn't essential. many death metal bands you hybrid of solid state amps.

look for a used peavey valveking. you will need an overdrive pedal to get you in the metallica ball park. don't expect to nail the tones though.
Well Kill'em All is just a hot rodded Marshall sound with hot pickups in the guitars. Nothing too hard to pull off.

I'd look at a used Marshall DSL combo with a tubescreamer pedal (tons out there, Maxon OD808 and some Ibanez TS9 on the high end and a great sounding Joyo Vintage Overdrive on the $30 range) or possibly a Jet City high gain model (I don't have much experience with them).

For Puppets and Justice they went Mesa. Now they are into Diezels and such.

Amps have a master volume on them these days but if that doesn't work there are a ton of quiet solutions - POD HD500X on the higher end, free (or $) amp sims on the computer, etc.

You probably can't get a Mesa in your budget. Some sort of Rectifier on Vintage mode would work as well - that's what I use on most of the thrashy stuff.

One amp to pull off all or most of the sounds over the years? Mesa Roadster Channel 1 for the cleans, Channel 2 set to Brit with the gain cranked and a tubescreamer for Kill and Lightning, Channel 3 Vintage for Puppets and Justice, Black too. (I don't really listen to much of their newer stuff). Channel 4 Modern for the Death Magnetic stuff. It's all foot switchable and regular price for a used combo is +/- $1,400.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
So what tube amp would you consider a close contender within the 500 range? I am not trying to match the tone exactly. Just trying to get me close enough to feel good about it and I am not that picky. Is there no solution to this problem? That is what I am kinda picking up on.
I though I was doing a good job with my peavey 400g and a metal petal. If that tells you anything.
https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/msg/5056969229.html

You'll need speakers (a decent 2x12 would work) and a tubescreamer and you're good to go.

Or this, same thing applies.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-1990-classic-120w-tube-guitar-amp-head

This would get you in the ballpark of newer Metallica, and no need for speakers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-333xl-212-120w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/j21725
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 4, 2015,
Is there anything I should look for when checking out a used tube amp? Any red flags?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by tysona23
So what tube amp would you consider a close contender within the 500 range? I am not trying to match the tone exactly. Just trying to get me close enough to feel good about it and I am not that picky. Is there no solution to this problem? That is what I am kinda picking up on.

sure spend more money. ok here's the thing and it's common with newer players. i want (fill in awesome tone here) but can only spend a little money. of course the tone in ? was done on much more expensive gear. basically it comes down to compromises and the lower the amount you have to spend the more of them will have to be made.

you may have to zero in on a more specific era of Metallica as finding an amp that can do all the tones you want in your price range probably ain't happening. the marshall DSL 401 that was metnioned will get you the earlier tones. a Peavey 6505+ combo can get you some of the later tones (within reason). guess it depends on how close you feel you need to get
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jun 4, 2015,
Quote by tysona23
Is there anything I should look for when checking out a used tube amp? Any red flags?

same as any amp really. check to see if channel switching works, listen to the speakers to be sure they aren't blown, check all control to make sure posts don't crakle etc. unfortunately the one thing about tube amps is tubes and most often there is no way to check how good the tubes are. pretty much figure on replacing them to be safe.
I really just want a good quality amp that will last me a while and keep me company. I have just heard tubes are the only way to go for that metal sound. I am definitely open to suggestions. Or maybe I should just buy a new bank of transistors and keep using my peavey. I have already replaced two and the same one I replace keep failing after playing it for a week.
Quote by tysona23
I really just want a good quality amp that will last me a while and keep me company. I have just heard tubes are the only way to go for that metal sound. I am definitely open to suggestions. Or maybe I should just buy a new bank of transistors and keep using my peavey. I have already replaced two and the same one I replace keep failing after playing it for a week.

waste of money get a new amp.
Or you could always go the modeler route. A used Peavey Vypyr 30 or better yet a used Vypyr Tube 60 would do the trick as well. It has cranked Marshall, Mesa, and Diezel sounds in it. Wide variety but the variety isn't as tweakable as the real thing.

This digital stuff has come a long way in recent years. You should check out some of the amp simulators on the computer now. . . They are really freaking sweet. Download Peavey ReValver and buy a cheap guitar to USB interface on Amazon to get started.

Depends on how much money you want to spend, where you want to play (i.e. stuck to a computer or not), and how loud you want it to be (note you can hook up your computer or something like the POD HD500x to a PA loudspeaker or monitor (KRK) speaker).
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Alright, let me do a little more research and I will figure out what is going to work best for me.
Quote by tysona23
Alright, let me do a little more research and I will figure out what is going to work best for me.

I gave you 3 possibles above, 2 of which have 3 year warranties and all are under your stated budget. I'm not sure how it gets much easier than that.

As regards modelers, I'm a fan, but they don't take the place of my (several) tube amps.
Charles Darwin
Just buy a Fender Blues Junior (It's not just for blues.) It's an amazing amp for the price. I was looking in the exact same category, I looked at soooo many amps, but at every store I went to, they recommended the BJ. I now own one and I'm in love with it.
A flextone xl 3 That will cover all metallica era's and ive seen them as cheap as 150 and its a real amp designed to be gigged unlike most modelers
Quote by JFH59
Just buy a Fender Blues Junior (It's not just for blues.) It's an amazing amp for the price. I was looking in the exact same category, I looked at soooo many amps, but at every store I went to, they recommended the BJ. I now own one and I'm in love with it.

For Metallica? I think that's perhaps not the best choice.
Charles Darwin
Quote by tysona23
I want a metallica sound. No if ands or buts. One that can cover all of the albums even though I love the kill em all tone.

Sorry dude, but 1 amp isn't going to do all Metallica tones.
They used hotrodded plexis boosted with a Rat for Kill 'Em All
For Ride the Lightning, their gear was stolen, so they used whatever Marshall Flemming could get his hands on, (most likely a JCM800) and it sounds like they're boosted with a Tube Screamer that album. It's also the album that James started using EMG pickups
Mesa/Boogie MKII C+s for Master and Justice (and I think The Black Album as well)
Not 100% on what they used for Load and Reload, though they may have been Dual Recs.
St. Anger was Dual Recs.11
On Death Magnetic, James used a Diezel and Mesa Triaxis Pre and a mesa poweramp blended together, and Kirk's tone was his Randall, and is what they use live now a days.
Cleans in studio have usually been a Roland JCA-120 in studio.

HUGE difference between tones in each amp, and it's not going to happen unless you grab something like a Vypyr Tube 60.

If you want Kill 'Em All, grab a Jet City 22 combo and a Rat
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 5, 2015,
If their gear wasn't stolen I don't think we would have had "Fade to Black". Which is one of my all time favorites and one that I am learning right now.
I worked out a deal with the Guitar center in a nearby town. I am going to get my other amp running and trade it for a tube. That way I don't have come up with a whole ton of money at one time or maybe just use my budget and add that on to the end to get a nice marshall.
A jet city 20W just popped up in my local classifieds with a 1x12 cab for a pretty killer price. Could I get a metallica tone out of that?
Page 1 of 2