The recent thread on compressors disappeared, leaving a question I had unanswered, so I'm trying again.

There were differences in opinion as to the value of compressors for reducing dynamic range, that is for evening out volume. It made me wonder whether these views were based on the the effect of the rest of the amplification chain.

I play a clean and very low volume and I like to use a compressor. I'm wondering if others of you who use them using them are using a low volume, clean set up, and if those of you that don't like them have other sources of compression in the amplification chain. For example, running the amp at high volume and/or using OD/distortion/fuzz.

For me it is comparable to poor string-to-string balance in pickups - I can't abide it and can't understand, for example, how anyone can use vintage stagger pole pieces with a plain 3rd string. But many do, and maybe at least part of it is due to a compressing effect of the rest of the amplification chain.

What say?
I don't think there's any debate about the value of compressors for reducing dynamic range. The 'debate' (more whining, as far as I saw) was whether or not that was a good thing. Obviously that's a personal preference, so if a compressor benefits you then someone else's inability to understand that is irrelevant.

It does make sense that people who play with more distortion, perhaps louder, and certain types of music (and guitar/amp setup) will tend not to need or want what compression does. So I think you're on to something there. I'd be interested especially in people using high gain modelers, and/or noise gates for chugging/djent.

This is true for any effect, really. I have never felt the need to use a chorus, but if I played more glam rock or Police covers I might. It would be a bit dumb for me to try to chime in on the "value" of chorus (except to say that it didn't work for me, personally) but what fun is having an internet connection if you can't pass judgement on complete strangers for having different points of view?
i think a big part of the problem with the perception of compressors is due to Boss calling their's a compressor / sustainer. to many guys try one for use with high gain (or in place of it) and don't get the results they want. high gain usually results in a more compressed signal to begin with so more often isn't needed.

country players tend to use compressors frequently especially on cleaner tones. it's part of the country sound. i don't like to use them for things that requier picking dynamics or with high gain. for clean passages where an even sound is needed they're great.
Thanks guys. I was hoping for a bit more response, but quality is better than quantity eh? I think that you have to assume goodwill, at least initially, in any discussion. Unfortunately, in these days of wikiwisdom - truth by consensus - you have to wonder how much is based on personal experience and how much is hearsay.

I have a bee in my bonnet about the "sustain" label, but we've been there before.
Quote by monwobobbo
i think a big part of the problem with the perception of compressors is due to Boss calling their's a compressor / sustainer. to many guys try one for use with high gain (or in place of it) and don't get the results they want. high gain usually results in a more compressed signal to begin with so more often isn't needed.

country players tend to use compressors frequently especially on cleaner tones. it's part of the country sound. i don't like to use them for things that requier picking dynamics or with high gain. for clean passages where an even sound is needed they're great.

Hey just my two cents; I love using compressors with a dynamic drive because your tone completely changes depending on how hard you pick the strings, it drives the signal more resulting in more gain for harder picking, and the compressor keeps the volume more or less leveled out so you can keep the dynamic the same but change your tone just by picking less hard or more hard.
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
The very nature of distortion compresses the signal.
Using a compressor with high gain is redundant, since it most likely won't add anything except a tad more sustain.
It's used with cleans a lot to even out the average volume. It makes loud bits quieter and quiet bits louder. If set high enough, you get a weird squashed sound to it, which is popular in country music.
Whether or not you use one is up to your tastes.
I have no need for one, even when I play clean.
YMMV

@Roc.
I play Thrash and Doom mostly using a JCM800 clone.
For thrash, it's boosted with a King of Tone and for doom I use a Musket Fuzz.
Compression, for me, seems to reduce the pick attack right at the beginning, which takes away the oomph from palm mutes. I'm a really heavy handed picker, and the pick attack is a vital part of my rhythm playing.
Not to mention it just makes everything to "overproduced-sounding" to my ears. It takes away some of the openess of the amp.
It doesn't fill the room on a held powerchord the same way as it does without one.
Some people may prefer that, but I don't. Again, it's purely up to personal preference.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 5, 2015,
one of the reasons i bought my fairfield circutry the accountant compressor is that it is 1 knob (easy) with dip switches that quickly and easily (on or off style) select the compression ratios and dynamics so i can go from squishy chickin pickin to hardly any at all to just smooth teh dynamics and even out teh strings like you say.

highly recommend.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I mainly use mine to even out imbalance due to poor guitar design, pickups, etc. In other words, in my more expensive guitars I rarely do, and for the most part use them to just even things out a bit, so it is almost unnoticeable but I can feel it. In active pickup guitars I don't use them as I don't really see a need.
I'd sent a message to UG asking whether the thread was deleted by the original OP, to no avail.

+1 on what @Lefty said. I however, like my compressors, and as I said, I really need one to be able to do anything more than just basic tapping. And just in regular high gain, my experience is the opposite of @Darkwolf's, which just proves the last point made by @Roc

^the above is pretty much useless (including this too ) and I don't have anything else to add, what more can be said?
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by 2Crosser
I'd sent a message to UG asking whether the thread was deleted by the original OP, to no avail.

OP deleted it.
Quote by Roc8995
OP deleted it.

Any idea why?
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.