As we know there are two ways to do so. The way every production model guitar I've bought where they cut the ball end off and lock it in. But there is also the "backwards" way which is below. What do you think works better?

I'm a fan of the reverse way myself but this may be a fun debate do people believe one way is better than the other?

first this is my BC Rich Beast I've done it to with Dunlop Pure Nickel strings. I wanted a darker sound so went with those and love the gold ball ends.

and some ibanez I did as a project, this one I only did it because of the D'Addario strings.
I'm going to have to do that with a set of D'Addarios, just so I can take a picture of my shiny purple ball end.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Why do you have the top 3 strings on that BC Rich winding from the OUTSIDE of the tuner post?
Quote by dspellman
Why do you have the top 3 strings on that BC Rich winding from the OUTSIDE of the tuner post?

Does it make a huge difference once the nut is locked?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Not a huge difference, but now the tuners turn the wrong way and you can see some of the strings coming off at goofy angles and hitting the side of other tuners. It's not the end of the world but there's no reason to do it that way, and several reasons not to. It's more likely to break strings, and they won't behave as nicely if you need to unlock the nut. Plus it looks like it was done by a drunk fifth grader.

If done properly I don't see anything wrong with using the ball at the tuner (besides maybe the ball end chewing up the side of the tuner on some models), but those pictures show a half-assed job on both. Pull the string tight, then turn the tuner the correct direction. Sloppy extra windings and turning the pegs the wrong way are careless errors.
yeah I've heard cheap low end tuners it beats the tuners up. With the BC Rich other than the odd dive bomb or something I've never broken a string. The angle of the ball ends though you know I have no idea why they turned out like that.. either it's how i started winding the tuners or whatever. For years I liked the consistency of twisting all the same way. The guitar never goes out of tune so i have to think of which way I twist them haha.

Vostok strings are one string company that caught my attention. Strings and beyond sells them, they also have colored ball ends. I pick really hard and can vouch for them. Sort of a more in your face d'addario or ernie ball nickle plated steel I suppose. The only down side is there is only 10-46 from stringsandbeyond.com currently when my friend did his last order. It's a cryogenically treated string that lasts way longer then dean markley blue steels.

the only pro i have to this method (backwards) is with pickguards or pickup swaps. Reason being is you don't have to take the strings completely off. You keep the part around the tuner post which is usually the headache about using used strings. You may scratch the guitar if you're not careful but I like this way more for it. That Ibanez RG I did slight wiring mods on it and the backwards method made it easier. With a quality set of tuners though I can imagine it would take way longer to see them wear down. If these BC Rich tuners went I'd get some 18:1 grover minis in a heart beat and maybe just keep the knobs as I hate the feel of minis button (knob)
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 5, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Does it make a huge difference once the nut is locked?

No. It usually tells me an amateur has been at the guitar, though. Then I start looking for other issues. A lot of times the strings will be contacting the other tuning posts, and the increased angle can actually cause string breakage, etc., so it's not something professionals do.

In answer to the original question; I don't leave the ball ends on. That's also something that professionals don't often do. I clip both ends.

As for how I string... I usually block the trem, pull ALL the strings off (there's no issue with the neck, ever), put all the string ends into the saddles and get them locked down (so now I have this Floyd with six strings hanging off it). Then I take the other ends and string the tuners as I normally would, with winds where appropriate and short ends with locking tuners. I trim the ends; no long ends, no ball ends, no coils of wire, no "cigarette holders". The fine tuners get reset, the guitar gets tuned up, strings stretched (usually the block will drop out or be loose when I'm done), the lock nut goes on and final adjustments are made. I'll play the crap out of it and after a couple of days, I'll loosen the lock nut, retune, reset the fine tuners, lock it down and it'll be pretty much golden after that.

I should note that I like a couple of winds on locking tuners behind Floyd Locking Nuts, but it's not a requirement. I've only tried pulling a bit of string off the tuner wind to stuff into the saddle of a Floyd once or twice, and I've usually found that the saddle has an issue, and I'll get it fixed/replaced ASAP.
I clip the ball ends off
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like to overwind my strings on the tuning pegs. I find that 90% of the time when a string breaks it happens right at the bridge so I can just loosen the locking nut, unwind the string a bit and replace it back onto the saddle and I'm golden.
..I was watching my death.