Basically making a DIY, compact and cheap guitar/bass double neck.

Let's say I have a cheap Squier bass and a bolt on neck lying around, is it possible to somehow mount the guitar neck on the bass then fit all the hardware and electronics and still make the damn thing playable?

There are a few reasons for this:

A. This solution seems cheaper

B. It seems more compact and light weight

C. Aesthetics aside it might look like a cool instrument

D. Unlike other compact bass/guitar double necks on the market *cough*Steinberger and copies*cough* it wont require special strings.

The question is if it's a viable solution? Will the, the let's say, upper horn of a P-Bass withstand the pressure of 6 guitar strings and a neck on it?

Not: This doesnt necessarily has to be a P-Bass. If anyone can come up with a better idea you are welcome to share.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
You have to make sure there's enough wood to make a solid neck pocket. This may require mounting the top neck at an angle.
While it's possible I'm not sure if it would be practical. The guitar bridge might end up too close to the bass strings, and it'll be awkward to play.

If you really want a doubleneck, making your own body would probably be the best option. You could stick two guitars together but it would be heavy as fuq.
Last edited by sashki at Jun 5, 2015,
The easiest way to a double neck is a double neck body.

I don't think there's enough room on the current upper bout for a proper neck heel.
Quote by sashki
You have to make sure there's enough wood to make a solid neck pocket. This may require mounting the top neck at an angle.
While it's possible I'm not sure if it would be practical. The guitar bridge might end up too close to the bass strings, and it'll be awkward to play.

If you really want a doubleneck, making your own body would probably be the best option. You could stick two guitars together but it would be heavy as fuq.

Which is what I am trying to avoid.

So far this is the double neck with most resemblance to what I am talking about:

See how small it looks?
Quote by Guitar0player
Which is what I am trying to avoid.

So far this is the double neck with most resemblance to what I am talking about:

See how small it looks?

Obviously this is what you wanttime at 1:45-ish)

https://youtu.be/6gESFElAOpQ?t=107
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I actually thought the the perfect instrument for such surgery is either a Telecaster or a Telecaster Bass:

Thing is that the Telecaster seems shorter than it's bass counter part and fitting a bass neck on it(34' scale that is) might be impossible.