Hi, first of all I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to recording and I don't have any fancy equipment. What I was trying to do was run my line 6 amp directly into my sound card and record using audacity. I successfully did that with one problem. The guitar comes through my computer speakers while I'm recording (which is exactly what I want) but its delayed just enough to totally mess up my playing. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I thought about getting some sort of DI Box so I can send the signal to the computer and then plug headphones into the box or something so I can actually listen to myself play without it being delayed. But again, not really sure what I'm doing. Any suggestions?
I dont know how it works in Audacity but I know that in Cubase, in Device Setup you need to reconfigure the latency of various ASIOs(Soundcard and audio interface computer drivers). What you are experiencing is latency issues. For optimal result the latency has to be less than 10 millie seconds.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
The issue is not with audacity, the issue is that when I hook the amp up to the line in on my computer the notes I play on the guitar do not come through my computer speakers until like a half second after I play it. Regardless of whether I'm recording. Interestingly though when I hook my keyboard up to the computer there is little to know delay.
Quote by ryane24
The issue is not with audacity, the issue is that when I hook the amp up to the line in on my computer the notes I play on the guitar do not come through my computer speakers until like a half second after I play it. Regardless of whether I'm recording. Interestingly though when I hook my keyboard up to the computer there is little to know delay.

I dont know, to me it looks like latency issues, try googling audacity latency issues.
Quote by PSimonR
This is why you need a proper audio interface and drivers for it, one with zero latency monitoring.

I'm using a Lexicon Alpha and I can already feel its age, but I got it for free
Hey, I finally got an audio interface and I'm having some issues with it. I'm still having latency problems and it only seems to let me to latency monitoring if I'm in multitrack mode and when I'm in multitrack mode it wont output to the computer for some reason.
audio interfaces do not eliminate delay completely. I suppose many DAWs have this feature, but Logic has a great "low latency mode" that virtually wipes out latency while recording.
It is the tascam 1200 and I'm just using the mixer software that came with it and audacity.
I think you can monitor in realtime, check the manual but there should be a slider on the built-in mixer or driver software that should allow realtime monitor that you can mix in your signal, that way you shouldn't worry about latency.
http://tascam.com/product/us-1200/

Apparently the MON MIX knob should take care of it, see pic 2, read up on it in their manual.

"Utilize the DSP Mixer for Low-latency monitoring. Control the monitor balance easily with the MON MIX knob."