What is your favorite solo from any genre of metal that has feeling yet shreds your balls off? Glenn's solo in Painkiller is easily the greatest to me because it's not just senseless shredding. There's bends, vibrato, whammy dives and squeals, pinch harmonics, and I think some sweep picking. This is a whole lot better than someone like Chris Broderick, all of his Megadeth solos are tasteless and boring. People who aim for nothing but technicality bother me because it's like a robot is playing, there's rarely feeling. Anyways yeah, what's your favorite metal guitar solo with feeling?
Between The Buried And Me confuses me so much. One minute they're like soft rock then they go into full blown death metal
Megadeth Tornado of Lost Souls. Marty pulls out all the stops IMO.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Specifically 3:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjAsjGbdXk

And already yes Cemetery gates made my fingers stand on end
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Jun 5, 2015,
Not sure if this is my favorite but it's damn close, and the first to come to mind when I read the thread title. Makes my Norse blood pump harder every time I listen to this song: (Listen to the whole thing, bitches! Solo starts at about 6:38 though) Epic finish to an even more epic album. Nothing flashy or overly technical here, just a perfect finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwg4WlulO1E
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 18, 2015,
Ignominious and Pale - Necrophagist. The song itself doesnt make me cry, the fact that theyve been gone so long does. :'(
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by PiercedBand
Between The Buried And Me confuses me so much. One minute they're like soft rock then they go into full blown death metal

They're not confusing at all. One minute they're shit and the next they're still shit.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
They're not confusing at all. One minute they're shit and the next they're still shit.

And then even 10-15 minutes after that... Still shit.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

I think I'll bring a bit of Power/Prog into this topic by nominating Anubis Gate with Pyramids. It has always been one of my favourite tracks by them. In case you feel like skipping, the solo(s) in question start at 5:45.

But I recommend at least starting from the buildup at around the five minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY72p7CwD-4

That said, someone already nominated one of my favourites with Tornado of Souls. Also Parallels/Dual Reality by Teramaze is pretty sick. That Ryan Knight from The Black Dahlia Murder is alright too. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKlh9-vgPw

Actually he plays around with some nifty little chromatic runs in "Into The Everblack" and I think Hungarian Minor as well.
Quote by guitgrinder
Opeth - A Fair Judgement, starting at like, 0:00 til about 7:30

https://youtu.be/18-_blPsRuQ?t=6m15s

Corrected.

How did I forget that one? I count myself fortunate enough to have seen them perform that song live. Peter Lindgren played that solo. Where is he when Opeth needs him?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Kytokinesis
And then even 10-15 minutes after that... Still shit.

BTBAM for "Most Consistent Band" award?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
bitch plz, evry1 nows slayer has best solos, melodicklleey and teknichley. hav a nise day
Quote by theogonia777

I agree XD XD
Quote by supertom1
bitch plz, evry1 nows slayer has best solos, melodicklleey and teknichley. hav a nise day

Nah, just kidding lol My favourite solo in metal that is technical AND has emotion would probably be the one in Death's Lack of Comprehension
Every single solo by Trey Azagthoth
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Jeff Loomis's solo in Periphery's Racecar comes to mind, although I'm sure there are too many good examples to choose from.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Basically all of Imogen's Puzzle Part 2.

As for a distinct solo, despite their wankery, the solo in Sadistic Abductive gives me chills. But I don't listen to much metal with lead guitar lines so

kinda leads in from 2:10

The fast pulloff section in Meshuggah's Combustion is also wonderful. Particularly fond of Raining Blood but hardly anyone seems to do it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 23, 2015,
Definently every solo from Hangar 18 by Megadeth.I've been listening to this song since last year and still not tired of it.
Quote by supertom1
Dunno actually. Think it might be Chuck's

Listened to it on the ride to work this morning, it is chuck, I find his solos...tiresome
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
There's so much amazing guitar solos out there, but I really like Judas Priest's ones especially on Painkiller and Beyond The Realms of Death
Last edited by Rengo22 at Jun 24, 2015,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC7jh-LtzM

The second solo is my favourite at the moment.

Quote by progbass
Listened to it on the ride to work this morning, it is chuck, I find his solos...tiresome

They suited a lot of his earlier music with how sporadic they were, kind of like a contained chaos. The later stuff is some really weak soloing.
Quote by gtamaniak
Definently every solo from Hangar 18 by Megadeth.I've been listening to this song since last year and still not tired of it.

One year is not a long time. Some people have been listening to the same song for 80 years and still don't get tired of it.
Solos are dumb but I don't mind more riffy/melodic stuff like intervals and chimp spanner.