After watching Kung Fury I wanted to ask you guys about your experiences with pedals for synth, 8-bit and video game sounds
My other guitarist in my band uses a zvex fuzz factory and an MI effects Pollyanna Octave pedal for stuff like that. I don't know about the exact settings he uses, but I've heard him get some amazing old school synth/8 bit kind of tones out of those two.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
MXR Blue Box can get some Atari-ish sounds.

The ultimate of course is the WMD Geiger Counter, if you've got the cash.
Quote by the_bi99man
My other guitarist in my band uses a zvex fuzz factory and an MI effects Pollyanna Octave pedal for stuff like that. I don't know about the exact settings he uses, but I've heard him get some amazing old school synth/8 bit kind of tones out of those two.

The idea if fuzz pedals is that they clip almost to the point of creating a square wave, and square waves are one of the four basic waveforms that subtractive synthesis is based on.

Octave pedals are neat because a lot of old analog synths were designed so that they were monophonic but with more than one oscillator, so even though you can only play one key at a time the instrument could make two or three layered sounds, usually with one being an octave lower.

Another thing I would recommend for synth sounds is a good volume/swell pedal to give you the variable attack speed that synths are capable of which let's you create pad sounds. Simpler phasers with less steps and filter pedals in the style of the old Mu-Tron pedals can both be decent ways of recreating the filter sounds that are essential to synths. And finally bit crusher pedals can give you some silly 8-bit sounds.

Those are all the basics to faking synth sounds and I'm sure that people here could recommend their favorites. Though personally I'm more fond of fake pipe sounds on guitar.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 5, 2015,