Hey guys. So I noticed something really weird. The 4th string of my guitar (tuned to C#, Floyd Rose, 26 gauge) wobbles with distortion. It's not really noticeable when I play that single string, but if I play power chords and I sustain them for a bit, the wobble is noticeable. If I play the power chords with just the 6th and 5th string, the wobble goes away.

I tried to lower the height of my pickups (Jackson stock humbuckers, I'm thinking about changing them when I have the money), but it didn't solved the problem. I was thinking about adjusting the pole piece of the 4th string, but I'm not sure if it would change anything about the wobble.

When adjusting the pole piece, what happens to the sound of the string if I tighten it and what happens if I loose it? I never adjusted pole pieces before because it was never necessary on any of my guitars, so I don't know exactly how I should adjust them.

Also, the strings are new and properly stretched. Changed them about 4 days ago.
Either the intonation is way off, or you have a high fret somewhere. I don't think it should be related to pickup poles, but could be wrong.

Raise the action a little instead of lowering it and see if it gets better, if so it's a fret with a light buzz somewhere, probably one high fret. I've never fooled with the poles, if I need to adjust it's the whole pickup.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
It sounds like an intonation problem from your description.

If you lower a pole piece that string goes quieter relative to the others, if you raise it, it goes louder. The extent of the effect depends on the particular pickups. - I've only got one electric where I have not had to adjust the pole pieces to get the string-to-string balance how I like it.
Quote by Paleo Pete
Either the intonation is way off, or you have a high fret somewhere. I don't think it should be related to pickup poles, but could be wrong.

Raise the action a little instead of lowering it and see if it gets better, if so it's a fret with a light buzz somewhere, probably one high fret. I've never fooled with the poles, if I need to adjust it's the whole pickup.

Forgot to mention I raised the action a bit. And then I lowered the height of the pickups. Didn't solved the problem. Gonna check the intonation, had no idea it could cause that annoying wobbling sound on the amp.

Quote by Tony Done
It sounds like an intonation problem from your description.

If you lower a pole piece that string goes quieter relative to the others, if you raise it, it goes louder. The extent of the effect depends on the particular pickups. - I've only got one electric where I have not had to adjust the pole pieces to get the string-to-string balance how I like it.

Thanks for the info! Now I know how I should adjust them.

Tomorrow I will check the intonation and see if it solves the problem. I'll give some feedback when I'm done. Thanks guys!
Hey guys! So, the intonation on the 4th string was a bit flat at the 12th fret compared with the harmonic. But it was only 10 cents flat, no big deal. Anyway, I adjusted it and the wobble is still there, but not as noticeable as before.

But I noticed something else. There was a rattle coming from the block that blocks the string on the Floyd. It's a Jackson LFR and that block is already wearing out a bit. Can that be related to the wobbling?

In any case, I'm probably getting a Schaller Lockmeister to replace with my LFR in 1 or 2 months. If there is any way to fix the wobble until I get the new FR, that would be nice, but if not, no big deal, I can deal with that for some more time until I replace the LFR
10 cents is quite a lot...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
10 cents is quite a lot...

It's just that I was expecting more because I've seen guitars that were more cents off with their intonation and they weren't wobbling like this one.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jun 6, 2015,