Hello. Trying to prepare a demo single. Some on here recommended a "CD case w/ a full spine card." I have the clear jewel case. The CD will be printed or written on. What is a "full spine card." Is that a reference to the insert that goes on the inside of the jewel case and that has information about each song, sometimes including the lyrics?
Quote by selftaught1000
Hello. Trying to prepare a demo single. Some on here recommended a "CD case w/ a full spine card." I have the clear jewel case. The CD will be printed or written on. What is a "full spine card." Is that a reference to the insert that goes on the inside of the jewel case and that has information about each song, sometimes including the lyrics?

Yes, and the spine is the thin part inside the hinge.

My advice once again from a professional music business standpoint: you don't need anything special at all
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Yes, and the spine is the thin part inside the hinge.

My advice once again from a professional music business standpoint: you don't need anything special at all

No artwork of anything. But don't you think I should have some identifying info in the case as well? I know I can just write onto the Cd and plan to do that tonight or tomorrow.
Quote by selftaught1000
No artwork of anything. But don't you think I should have some identifying info in the case as well? I know I can just write onto the Cd and plan to do that tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, write basic info on the CD like artist name, song title, and an email address (in case the case is separated). Then put a little bit more info on the case like artist/song/date/genre/your name/email/phone/address. You can just print out a sheet of paper and cut it to fit the case, or tape it to the back of the case.

Print out a sheet with the lyrics, too, then put that in the envelope with the CD. Some people rubber-band that to the cd case because they don't necessarily need to be kept together.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 5, 2015,
Yes. I made a really basic spine card on Word w/ identifying info. Going to get the permanent marker now. Will also print out a lyric sheet and I one-page cover letter. and bind to the jewel cases w/ rubber bands. Probably put a couple of paper towels on the flip side of the case for padding and throw everything in a bubble mailer.

Since I'm using a bubble mailer, the alternative would be to put the cover letter and lyric sheet in the envelope w/o folding them, which seems to make more sense assuming someone is actually going to read them.
Quote by selftaught1000
Yes. I made a really basic spine card on Word w/ identifying info. Going to get the permanent marker now. Will also print out a lyric sheet and I one-page cover letter. and bind to the jewel cases w/ rubber bands. Probably put a couple of paper towels on the flip side of the case for padding and throw everything in a bubble mailer.

Since I'm using a bubble mailer, the alternative would be to put the cover letter and lyric sheet in the envelope w/o folding them, which seems to make more sense assuming someone is actually going to read them.

Don't use paper towels, that looks tacky and sort of gross. Just add extra bubble wrap if you feel the package isn't thick enough.

If you don't need to fold the lyric sheet etc. to fit inside, then don't bother. If they want to read them, they'll appreciate them being right there and ready.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
please don't use jewel cases, they are hideous. use stiff card cases which last longer and don't scratch up the c.ds
also keep things on the sleeve to a minimum say an image, a web address and copyright information.
lyrics is a bit...old fashioned? maybe?
Quote by vocoderboy
please don't use jewel cases, they are hideous. use stiff card cases which last longer and don't scratch up the c.ds
also keep things on the sleeve to a minimum say an image, a web address and copyright information.
lyrics is a bit...old fashioned? maybe?

Good point. I should probably put my SoundCloud on there.
Quote by Sid McCall
Don't use paper towels, that looks tacky and sort of gross. Just add extra bubble wrap if you feel the package isn't thick enough.

If you don't need to fold the lyric sheet etc. to fit inside, then don't bother. If they want to read them, they'll appreciate them being right there and ready.

This coming from the same person who said to keep it basic.

I didn't want to wrap the CD case entirely in bubble wrap because I didn't want to impede their ability to open it. I'll come up w/ something less unseemly.
Quote by selftaught1000
This coming from the same person who said to keep it basic.

I didn't want to wrap the CD case entirely in bubble wrap because I didn't want to impede their ability to open it. I'll come up w/ something less unseemly.

Just wrap it in a sheet of bubble wrap but don't tape it. Problem solved!

I mean to keep it basic in appearance, you don't want to skimp on *content* but you also don't need a professionally printed CD for a one-off submission.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I'm just going to stick it into a small bubble mailer and write "CD Demo inside" on the outside of the mailer, then stick the mailer into a larger envelope with the lyric sheet and two-sentence cover letter. Thanks for the guidance.
Quote by selftaught1000
I'm just going to stick it into a small bubble mailer and write "CD Demo inside" on the outside of the mailer, then stick the mailer into a larger envelope with the lyric sheet and two-sentence cover letter. Thanks for the guidance.

Sounds perfect. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass