I've just got a PreSonus AudioBox iOne that I want to use to hook up my electric guitar to record on Garageband on my MacBook Pro.

The AudioBox is hooked up to the USB port. All lights are on.

In MacBook Preferences, the AudioBox is selected as the sound input and output device.

In Garageband Preferences, the AudioBox is selected as the sound input and output device.

I hit record on Garageband. I can hear my guitar through the headphones hooked into the AudioBox.

Garageband doesn't seem to be getting any sound from the AudioBox. There is no response, no sound levels, either during recording or during playback.

The little slider on the "Clean Combo" Guitar track is turned all the way to the right. I've tried pressing and undressing the mute/unmute button.

The little slider to the left of the metronome at the bottom of Garageband is all the way to the right.

Help! What am I missing?
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Have you checked the levels on your AudioBox?

They're all at dead center, straight up.
Quote by diabolical
Activate and select the right input in garageband?

You mean go to Garageband > Preferences and select the AudioBox as the sound input and output? I did that.

Or do your an something else?
Have you enabled the input monitoring on the right channel?
Have you selected the right input for that particular channel?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The channel itself should have input selection where you have to select what channel (out of 2 on this interface, I think) you're recording. The other thing as mentioned is the monitoring. This interface has an option to monitor recorded signal with playback from the computer and you mix that via the mixer, so read up in the manual on that and how to blend what you want to hear.
If not mistaken, your interface came with Studio One so don't see why you're using Garageband, which has more limitations.
Quote by Spambot_2
Have you enabled the input monitoring on the right channel?
Have you selected the right input for that particular channel?

How do I know whether I have done so?

Quote by diabolical
The channel itself should have input selection where you have to select what channel (out of 2 on this interface, I think) you're recording.

Where would I find such input selection?

The other thing as mentioned is the monitoring. This interface has an option to monitor recorded signal with playback from the computer and you mix that via the mixer, so read up in the manual on that and how to blend what you want to hear.

I shall do so.

If not mistaken, your interface came with Studio One so don't see why you're using Garageband, which has more limitations.

I am familiar with GarageBand, I have done some other work on it, and for my purposes right now, the limitations aren't important. I just want it to work.
That shows you when you create a new track how you assign the inputs (L, R, and stereo).

Check the forum post, seems that maybe one of the limitations is the sound quality and you'll have to set up to record at 16bit/44.1khz.

Finally, there's the PreSonus forum, I'm sure they can help you on there. My Mac knowledge is a bit rusty as it ended with OS X v10.5.
Hmmmm .... That image looks like an older version of GarageBand than what I have.
Okay, I had to take it back to the guitar store, where it took the guy an hour of messing around to figure it out.

This is the key—When you create a new guitar project upon opening up GarageBand, YOU CANNOT USE THE GUITAR TRACK THAT GARAGEBAND AUTOMATICALLY CREATES FOR YOU.

You have to create a new track, and then choose "Electric Guitar" and then click the little triangle next to "Instrument Setup" and then choose "Mono Channel 2" in order to use the "Inst 2" input on the AudioBox ("Mono Channel 1" is for the Mic 1 input).
Last edited by mazumdar at Jun 6, 2015,
Quote by mazumdar
This is the key—When you create a new guitar project upon opening up GarageBand, YOU CANNOT USE THE GUITAR TRACK THAT GARAGEBAND AUTOMATICALLY CREATES FOR YOU.
This is because garageband selects a different input channel.
If you select the right one, the thing works just fine.

You should follow these instructions next time - http://help.apple.com/garageband/mac/10.0/?lang=engbnd4c2cc43e#gbnd4c2cc43e

And as a general rule, don't complain about what some software can or can't do before you've read the instructions manual.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
And as a general rule, don't complain about what some software can or can't do before you've read the instructions manual.

(1) As a general rule, don't accuse people who are trying to get information of complaining.

(2) I often ask for help either before or while consulting instruction manuals, which might or might not be easy to get information from. I consider that a quite valid way of gathering information or learning.

(3) It's perfectly valid to criticize interfaces that don't make things obvious. That's the whole point of owning Apple products.

(4) Those instructions don't solve the problem, because they offer creating a new track only as an option, not as mandatory.

If you select the right one, the thing works just fine.

"If you already knew everything, like I do, you wouldn't have to learn anything."
Last edited by mazumdar at Jun 7, 2015,
Quote by mazumdar
As a general rule, don't accuse people who are trying to get information of complaining.
But you complained after you achieved your results
Quote by mazumdar
It's perfectly valid to criticize interfaces that don't make things obvious. That's the whole point of owning Apple products.

Quote by mazumdar
Those instructions don't solve the problem, because they offer creating a new track only as an option, not as mandatory.
The instructions are useful were you ever to find yourself with a track already.

Like when garageband creates a track as you open a project.

If you follow these instructions you can solve the problem that you said it was impossible to solve.
Quote by mazumdar
"If you already knew everything, like I do, you wouldn't have to learn anything."
Actually I meant that if you bothered trying to understand what I wrote at the beginning instead of waiting for somebody to be so patient to explain it to you step by step because you're lazy you would have solved the problem already.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
But you complained after you achieved your results

Uh ... no. No, I didn't. I explained the answer in detail, step-by-step, with emphasis on the most important parts, in the hope that anyone else encountering this problem will find this thread and find the answer helpful.

Indeed, I would recommend that both Apple and PreSonus add my Post No. 13 to their manuals, with the capitalization exactly as I've done it.

instead of waiting for somebody to be so patient to explain it to you step by step because you're lazy you would have solved the problem already.

I see no fault in wanting something in which I have zero actual experience explained step-by-step. You don't want to do it? You don't have to post to the thread. When I'm asked a question, if I choose to answer it, I do my best to answer it in as much detail as I can. I don't demand that you do, but if your way of answering doesn't satisfy me, I'll look for other sources.
Last edited by mazumdar at Jun 8, 2015,
Quote by mazumdar
Indeed, I would recommend that both Apple and PreSonus add my Post No. 13 to their manuals, with the capitalization exactly as I've done it.
That was the complaining, and it's plain wrong.

I'm sitting in front of a recent macbook pro with the latest version of garageband, and I can do that quite simply.

Let's explain it step by step, why don't we?

1. I opened garageband and choose a project template, namely "amp collection"
2. I opened the GarageBand menu in the menu bar, then clicked on "preferences"
3. I selected my audio interface in the drop-down menu near the "input device" label
4. I clicked on the "i" button in the bar right over the "smart controls" (the same bar with the "master", "compare", "controls" and "eq" buttons)
5. I selected the input corresponding to the input in which my guitar was plugged in the drop-down menu near the "input" label (namely, "input 1")
6. I enabled input monitoring by clicking on the small button at the right of the "monitoring" label

Boom, everything works.
Quote by mazumdar
I see no fault in wanting something in which I have zero actual experience explained step-by-step. You don't want to do it? You don't have to post to the thread. When I'm asked a question, if I choose to answer it, I do my best to answer it in as much detail as I can. I don't demand that you do, but if your way of answering doesn't satisfy me, I'll look for other sources.
Fair enough.

Tho if you are so lazy not to want to read the manual of something you want to work with then you might not want to write that "you can't do this with this software" around, 'cause chances are you simply didn't look hard enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
That was the complaining,

Nope, not complaining. Offering what knowledge I happen to have.

and it's plain wrong.

I have no problem being wrong. I'm happy to be corrected by someone who knows better.

Let's explain it step by step, why don't we?

So why not do this in the first place? Why play this game?

Tho if you are so lazy not to want to read the manual of something you want to work with

This manual thing. It represents some kind of moral superiority to you?

then you might not want to write that "you can't do this with this software" around,

That's not actually what I said, but that's not worth quibbling about.

'cause chances are you simply didn't look hard enough.

I am not interested in becoming an expert in GarageBand. It's not important to me, not at this point. All I was interested in was figuring out how to make this one thing work. I got an answer that worked from the guitar store. If you had a better answer, then why didn't you just say so in the first place?

What benefit have you gained from this unnecessarily drawn-out exchange except to repeatedly impugn my character? Is the time and the effort you put into it worth the satisfaction you get from that?
Quote by mazumdar
Nope, not complaining. Offering what knowledge I happen not to have.
FTFY
Quote by mazumdar
So why not do this in the first place? Why play this game?
I wrote an answer in the first place.
You didn't bother looking around for what my answer even meant.

That you could say summoned my spirit of contradiction.
Quote by mazumdar
This manual thing. It represents some kind of moral superiority to you?
Not moral.

I don't like people who expect to gain something from nothing, I don't like people who ask other people for part of their time because they don't want to use their own even when they could, and I don't like pretentious people who, with little experience, say that GB developers should write on their manual that something is not possible, when it actually is.

Thinking about it that wouldn't even have any effect, 'cause people like you, whom that statement would be referred to, wouldn't bother reading the manual
Quote by mazumdar
What benefit have you gained from this unnecessarily drawn-out exchange except to repeatedly impugn my character?
The satisfaction of having taught you something.

Not only what you thought you couldn't do, but also that reading instruction manuals can be good for you.
Quote by mazumdar
Is the time and the effort you put into it worth the satisfaction you get from that?
Yes, else I wouldn't be here.

Also regardless of what you think of me you HAVE learned something because of me, so you may wanna take this as a lesson and do your homework before asking others to do that for you next time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 10, 2015,
There's no particular virtue in telling people to "do their homework" when they come to a board intended for exchanging information to ask for information.

Mostly what you have taught is that some people are offensive, self-important and self-righteous folks who use their information as a weapon to belittle others who don't conform to their own ideas of what's the the proper way to learn something.

With that, I now put you on ignore. Because regardless of what you might know, it's not worth the toxic nature of your attitude.
Last edited by mazumdar at Jun 11, 2015,
Dude, get over it. I actually told you pretty much what to do with screenshots and that even wasn't enough. It is also part of the tutorial for Garageband 101, but anyhooo...
Kids nowadays want everything regurgitated and put on a silver platter (or should I say silver iPad?).
He just called you on it, get over it.

I'm outta this thread.