So it's one of the first things people do in their DAWs when editing a high-gain rhythm guitar. What about doing it before the signal reaches the mic?

I have an MXR 10-band and I can get close to the effect I want -- getting rid of fizz (not pedal noise or stuff like that). But I wonder if 10-band is limiting me too much. I can get rid of the fizz very easily but I feel like a bit of the high end I want to keep gets lost in the cut.

So, would a more tweakable EQ do the trick? I was looking at the Empress ParaEQ. Also, I've never used rack units, so I wonder if they would be better than the Empress for the effect I'm after.

It's more cutting unwanted frequencies than tone shaping that I'm shooting for.
I feel like an MXR would be good enough for what you're describing. Have you tried it in a band setting?

I use mine for essentially the same purpose; to cut fizz and emphasize the frequencies I like. It does a great job of eliminating fizz on my 6505+. However, in a band setting, I wouldn't be surprised to find that adding back some of that fizz could be beneficial to the mix.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Haven't tried it in any jam sessions but it sounded really good playing along to backing tracks.

I guess it all comes down to whether the more tweakable unit is worth the extra cost or whether I might not even notice a meaningful difference between the two. One vote in the 'No' camp and I hope you are right!
Here's what I did to kill the fizz. I flatlined everything else just for the pic.

Having the 8K slider at -6 also sounds good, but the fizz comes back with the slider higher than that.
Attachments:
IMG_0989.JPG
Last edited by PB26 at Jun 6, 2015,
Cool, I thought 7 was the magic number. I think it was some YouTube video on editing heavy rhythm guitars that got that into my head.

The amp is a Laney Iommi model and also an EVH 5150 III 50w, EMG 81 pups. Everything is in tip top shape, I just hate the sound of hiss, drives me nuts.
Quote by stef.van.poucke
have you ever tried a noise gate?

Yeah, but I have no noise issues. I actually just figured out that a 6 db boost on the 4k slider gives me the best of all worlds -- zero hiss, but that little bit of 'brightness' that I was after to keep the chuggs from sounding a little too dark.
Quote by Random3
I would be interested to hear clips so I can see what you mean by hissing.

You shouldn't really have to surgically remove frequencies like that unless you are mixing.

It's funny you say that because when I'm playing with friends or with backing tracks, it's not even an issue. But when playing by myself, guitar only, it becomes noticeable. And the hiss I'm talking about is totally imperceptible when I record with a Zoom H1 -- can only hear the hiss in the room near the cab.
That is odd.

I was going to suggest recording a clip and then use either a spectrum analyser or an EQ to make tight boosts/cuts to find out where the offending frequencies are, but if it sounds fine when you record it then the issue isn't the sound, it seems to be your perception of the sound.
Yeah and it's not like it's a room full of bees type sound. I guess I'm just trying to capture more of that 'edited' tube amp recording sound when I'm just playing around and not recording anything. Because I know the trimming I'm doing is pretty standard for even basic edits of recordings of high gain rhythm tracks.
Actually in a mix I found I had to bring the 8k slider back up to just a tick under zero. Sounds great and no need for any new gizmos, which is always good.
Ok, so I've been fiddling with an ART EQ351 rack EQ, which has independent low and high pass filter knobs, totally separate from the graphic EQ sliders, just like when you're editing in a DAW. The cut-off slope is 12 dB per octave, which is pretty good -- not super steep but steep enough. It's exactly like trimming off the fizzle around the edges in your software, but you get that effect while playing! Pretty cool stuff, much more effective than using the sliders on the EQ, which only pinpoint specific frequencies.
Whatever fizz and other nuances that youre guitar cab produces probably gets lost in all the room/environment noise when youre playing live. To be honest (and this is very subjective), when I am doing critical mixing, I find that when I low passing guitars, I lose some important information and character in the tone. I know its not really visible in the wave, but I can surely hear the difference and I dont really like it. As long as my guitars arent terribly clashing with the drum overheads, I usually just leave the highs alone
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I agree, but the fizz bugs me when I'm playing just guitar only. A judicious serving of low pass goodness cleans it up very nicely.
I would try a cleaner / lower gain tube in v1 or pi position before low passing, like a 12at7 or 12au7. Again, its all up to the user. But if you can reduce fuzz without attenuating other high end subtle sonic information, thats always a plus in my book. Keep up the good work tho
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Well that's interesting, may give that a whirl. My amps have gain to spare so I wouldn't really be giving much up trying that.