Poll: Should I buy this guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I buy this guitar?
Yes, it's a solid guitar at a good price.
2 100%
Yes, but you should make a lower offer, as it's not worth $125.
0 0%
No, it's not a good guitar at all.
0 0%
No, buying guitars off Craigslist is shady.
0 0%
No, you should wait for a MIM Strat.
0 0%
Other (please elaborate in a post).
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new electric guitar to complement the Roland Micro Cube I just got. I looked around on Craigslist, and I came across this guitar. It's labeled "Fender Stratocaster Squier Series" and is Made in Japan. Its serial number is: T018257.

I did some research, and it's regarded to be a true Fender Stratocaster, not a Squier. I also found that it was sold alongside the Made in Mexico Stratocasters, so by logical deduction it must have had some compromises compared to the MIM Strats, as this MIJ model was sold simultaneously for a lower price.

I was wondering if this guitar would be worth purchasing used for $125, or if that's not a good price, then I could try making an offer. I am currently playing on one of the worst electric guitars ever made, so anything would be considered an upgrade for me. Hence, I would probably not be very adept at judging the sound of this MIJ Strat and putting its value into context, as I have not played on any MIM or MIA Strats. What I know I definitely don't want, however, is a Squier, unless it's a Classic Vibe, but I couldn't find any of those used. I did, however, see a Squier Vintage Modified '70s for $140, but I decided to pass on it because it had mixed reviews and was Cream colored :P

If I end up taking up the offer, what are things I should look out for? Anything I should listen for? Red flags?

I've attached the most pertinent photos included in the original listing. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Here is the original description of the guitar:

'94 Fender Japanese Strat Stratocaster

"I have a Fender Japenese strat in overall decent condition. The volume pot needs to be replaced or cleaned. and the guitar could use a setup. Has a gig bag.

Asking $125 or best offer."
Attachments:
strat1.jpg
strat2.jpg
strat4.jpg
strat5.jpg
strat7.jpg
Last edited by kevinkerr at Jun 7, 2015,
I wholeheartedly say buy it, buy it right now, even if it is just a squier you'll probably be able to get nearly all of your money back if it isn't to your taste.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
I wholeheartedly say buy it, buy it right now, even if it is just a squier you'll probably be able to get nearly all of your money back if it isn't to your taste.

Is there any specific reason why I should buy it right now? Apparently the guitar is a Fender and not a Squier, and is regarded as so by others. Is the price good?
It's very well priced, a second hand MIJ can be around $500-$600. $125 is very reasonable, and like I said, if you don't like it you can sell it on for a similar price.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day