Hey,

following up from my earlier post, I'm looking for strings to sound like hank marvin. I've settled on 10s, but now need to know wether to go for bright sounding or mellow sounding, as I don't know the difference. From what I've read, pure nickel mellow sounding is the way to go, but I don't know for sure. Any help please?

Thanks,
Ron.
We still can't create preferences for you.

Bright means more treble emphasis and a 'sharper' sound, mellow is less treble emphasis and a softer sound. Neither one is the "right" string. There is a long list of things that matter more than strings to whether you are going to sound just like Hank Marvin.

Seriously, just try a few brands and keep notes on what you like and dislike. You have to test this stuff out on your own.
I don't know all the context, but I going to say that strings are one of the least effectve ways to change your tone. You may notice subtle differences, but the amp, guitar, and pickups are going to shape the sound way more.

Yes I know I didn't answer your question, but my advice is buy whatever strings you like. But a bright set and a mellow set and try both. Try round wounds and flat wounds. Thick and thin gauge, etc. you'll play more effectively and expressively on strings YOU are comfortable with.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Jun 6, 2015,
I think your amp and pickups matter alot more than your strings when going for a sound
fresh strings ofcourse sound better but other than that I've never heard that much difference between different brands with the same gauge
Quote by smartypants857
Hey,

following up from my earlier post, I'm looking for strings to sound like hank marvin. I've settled on 10s, but now need to know wether to go for bright sounding or mellow sounding, as I don't know the difference. From what I've read, pure nickel mellow sounding is the way to go, but I don't know for sure. Any help please?

Thanks,
Ron.

try Fender strings. as for the answer well dude does hank sound bright to you or has a less bright tone. good place to start. it is more about the guitar (i assume you are using a strat) and amp though.