Hello all,

Looking at purchasing a TC Electronic Polytune 2 but am undecided on whether it will suit my needs..

I use 2 guitars and a Lap Steel live, one guitar in Standard, one in Eb and the lap steel in Open A tuning. How easy is it be to tune both guitars without button pressing and cycling through tuner pre-sets onstage? Also would the tuner be able to tune the lap steel (E,A,E,A,C#,E)

I am after a fairly big/bright tuner display as my eyesight is appalling (Only 20)!!

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated
As for standard and Eb, it will be very easy - you need to press the button literally once to go from E to Eb (a few more times to go back to E afterwards, but it's not time-consuming really).

It doesn't have open tunings unfortunately, so you'd have to just tune each string separately like on a regular tuner. But still, I'm not sure there even is any polytune-like tuner out there with this option, and besides the polytune option being incredibly useful, polytune is just a great tuner overall and it's very precise for single strings.

And if you want a big display, I guess it's better if you get the regular polytune rather than the mini.
Thankyou for your reply. So for an open tuning would I have to set the tuner to chromatic and allow for it to detect each string pitch as I played each one?
Yeah, basically. You don't even have to set it to chromatic, it just detects if you picked one string or more and either the polytune or the chromatic tuner pops up. Personally I use it to tune a 6-string in Eb, and a 7-string in drop A, so in the latter case I just pick the EADGBE strings to check and the low A separately, and it's immensely comfortable.
some people like them, and they have their niche.

personally i don't like the poly tuners (including a Korg pitchbalck Poly). they are handy to see what is out of tune, but i think most of us could tell while playing or striking an E chord and tell which string is out of tune, and either use a normal tuner for that one string, or just tune by ear for a second.

but i am not going to say that they are bad nor unuseful for peole, just not my thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love mine. I use it for 6 & 7 string guitars and alternate tunings. Piece of cake and very accurate.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
some people like them, and they have their niche.

personally i don't like the poly tuners (including a Korg pitchbalck Poly). they are handy to see what is out of tune, but i think most of us could tell while playing or striking an E chord and tell which string is out of tune, and either use a normal tuner for that one string, or just tune by ear for a second.

but i am not going to say that they are bad nor unuseful for peole, just not my thing.

Well, it's also a great chromatic tuner besides that, and I doubt you can just tell immediately by ear which strings exactly are out of tune. I just don't see a reason to get a regular chromatic tuner, if you can have one that does chromatic tuning just as well, and has an incredibly useful and time-saving feature on top.