Okay, so little background for me. Been playing for around 10 years or so, but my knowledge is pretty limited due to my lack of playing with other people and I've, embarrassed to admit this, never played in a band. Also I used to use the Satriani Big Bad Wah, which is the big part of the first question here:

1.) What's the next best thing to go for that features a dual wah tone and other little tweaking options like that one did?

&

2.) I am in need of a good looper pedal. Any suggestions?

Equipment used being a 60th Anniversary Fender Strat (Mexican) and a 30w Line 6 Spider IV.
Last edited by Imglidinhere at Jun 6, 2015,
i'd seriously consider upgrading your amp before worrying about the other stuff. you may wnat to look at a Morley Bad Horsey wah.
Yeah, I can't imagine any pedals you add to your rig will shine with the Spider. If you invest in a nicer amp first you'll get way more out of your eventual pedal investments as well
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I... I'm not sure how to respond to this to be completely honest. o.o

I mean, I bought this amp like, maybe six months ago? It's not been terribly long, but it seems like a waste of $200 to just upgrade to a bigger amp...

Not sure how to go about saying this but... why did I even ask here if I'm ridiculed about my gear when I wanted to know if there was a better wah to go for rather than buying another $300 Signature pedal from my guitar Idol? Not to be rude here with that, but I... I'm not playing gigs with this setup, if I wanted to do that I'd probably just go with a half stack of some sort. This is entirely home use and personal practice.

EDIT: Yeah it's not a Soldano SLO-100 or a Peavey 6505, but really, I don't have the budget to be dropping that kind of cash right now. I get those are extreme examples, but the point remains...
Last edited by Imglidinhere at Jun 6, 2015,
I don't see anyone ridiculing you for your gear. They're honest suggestions based on the weak point of your current rig. If you don't want to upgrade it now, that's fine. Just something to think about when prioritizing. Nobody's telling you to buy a SLO. A 6505 112 is actually a pretty cheap amp if you get it used, $400 will definitely get you one on Craigslist so your pedal budget and selling the Spider might actually get you most of the way there.

The Dunlop 535Q has a bunch of tweaking options and is a very good wah. The Crybaby From Hell is essentially the same wah but is sometimes cheaper used. Anything cheaper than those is generally either of poor quality or doesn't have the tone shaping options. Wahs are easy to mod though so you may want to look into getting a good cheaper wah like the standard Crybaby or a Morley and adding more options yourself.

For loopers, the Digitech JamMan is pretty good for the price. Get one with more than one footswitch if you can afford it, it makes a big difference in ease of use.
Quote by Roc8995
Wahs are easy to mod though so you may want to look into getting a good cheaper wah like the standard Crybaby or a Morley and adding more options yourself.

That’s some good advice. Pre-1990s Crybaby wahs were hand-soldered and sell cheap because the switch or pot usually needs work, but that doesn’t matter if you’re buying them to mod. I just got two on Craigslist for $30, and one was an early 70s Thomas Organ wah pedal like Hendrix used.
Yeah we're not trying to piss on your purchase, just being straight with you. If you pour money into a bunch of different pedals right now, it's just not going to get you the best result with that amp. No need to buy a half stack, and you certainly wouldn't have to spend a grand to get a better amp. Like if I were in your situation, I'd personally be looking at upgrading the amp before I spent 2-300 bucks on a looper & a wah. But that's just what I'd do.

Colins suggestions are pretty solid btw
No one told him why his amp is bad for pedals.

A line 6 spider is a modeling amp, meaning it digitally tries to recreate the sounds and effects of other amps and effects.

Plugging an analog effect pedal into all of that is absoutely astonishingly bad. It normally creates nothing but noise.
ayy lmao
Quote by Imglidinhere
I... I'm not sure how to respond to this to be completely honest. o.o

I mean, I bought this amp like, maybe six months ago? It's not been terribly long, but it seems like a waste of $200 to just upgrade to a bigger amp...

Not sure how to go about saying this but... why did I even ask here if I'm ridiculed about my gear when I wanted to know if there was a better wah to go for rather than buying another $300 Signature pedal from my guitar Idol? Not to be rude here with that, but I... I'm not playing gigs with this setup, if I wanted to do that I'd probably just go with a half stack of some sort. This is entirely home use and personal practice.

EDIT: Yeah it's not a Soldano SLO-100 or a Peavey 6505, but really, I don't have the budget to be dropping that kind of cash right now. I get those are extreme examples, but the point remains...

well i assume you want this stuff so you'll sound better and closer to Joe. we just don't want to recommend gear and then have you come back and say wtf guys i bought the stuff you recommended and i don't sound any better. believe me it happens. in many cases pedals don't play well with modelling amps (what you want does though).

your response is pretty standard. no one ridicules you it was just point out that the amp you chose perhaps wasn't the best option. had you done a little homework you'd have found that a Peavey Vypyr would have been a way better choice as it has a model of the JSX amp that joe used. not what you wanted to hear but an honest response.

i think you'll find that the regulars here give sound advice and we try not to be to judgemental. noone expects you to blow a ton of money on anything the idea is to make sure you don't waste your money period. none of us are rich either
Quote by chookiecookie
No one told him why his amp is bad for pedals.

A line 6 spider is a modeling amp, meaning it digitally tries to recreate the sounds and effects of other amps and effects.

Plugging an analog effect pedal into all of that is absoutely astonishingly bad. It normally creates nothing but noise.

a wah and looper will work fine but you are correct that many other fx don't work as well with a modeller.
Quote by monwobobbo
a wah and looper will work fine but you are correct that many other fx don't work as well with a modeller.

yes and yes

most people who still linger around the forums are good dudes genuinely trying to help others who may not be as informed as they are (some might just not be all that gentle about it)
^ agreed. it definitely pays to step outside the forum and see how your posts look to outsiders. what you think is "tough love", or "just telling it like it is", or even "I'm a regular, I'm normally pretty nice" can come across as dickery to someone who's not a regular, and we need to be careful about that.

Quote by Imglidinhere

big problem is buying pedals as a band-aid will likely result in an even bigger waste of money.

no-one is ridiculing you for your gear. we've all bought things in the past only to have to bite the bullet and cut our losses- well, I certainly have, anyway I'd be the first to admit it's no fun to admit you made a mistake (and you could make a pretty good argument that, with marketing etc., you were sort of conned into making that mistake), but you need to be careful you don't fall into the sunk costs fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2015,
Ignoring the quality of your amp issue, you need to understand that a looper is not a good match up for a modeling amp. The reason is that the looper needs to go after all FX and unless your amp has an FX loop (don't think it does) then you will be pretty limited when using your looper.

You could set your amp clean and use a Zoom G3X or G5. It has a looper synced to the internal drum machine, all the FX and modeling you need, and a selection of wah FX. My advice would be to run the Zoom into the CD/Aux input of the amp as that's designed to work more like a PA or powered monitor. You could even run your guitar into an A/B switch to go between using the Zoom and the Spider's guitar input.
Quote by fly135
Ignoring the quality of your amp issue, you need to understand that a looper is not a good match up for a modeling amp. The reason is that the looper needs to go after all FX and unless your amp has an FX loop (don't think it does) then you will be pretty limited when using your looper.

You could set your amp clean and use a Zoom G3X or G5. It has a looper synced to the internal drum machine, all the FX and modeling you need, and a selection of wah FX. My advice would be to run the Zoom into the CD/Aux input of the amp as that's designed to work more like a PA or powered monitor. You could even run your guitar into an A/B switch to go between using the Zoom and the Spider's guitar input.

That slipped my mind, good call