So I used to play rocksmith when I was more or less first learning was also taking lessons. But anyway I've bought a line 6 amplifi 150 it's a good amp. But my problem is the tone isn't that great. With rocksmith I can get fat awesome sounding tones, and when you play a note it rings out and sustains for a fair amount of time when I play the same note on my guitar it does out so quickly and Sounds like crap compared to rocksmith. Do I need pedals or something?
Trust me I have, the distortion sucks. Like it's just staticy is the best way I could describe it. Like it doesn't have a killer distorted sound it's just loud and full of static. Don't get me wrong I can get some good tones out of this. But what I'm looking for is like when I'm playing solo's no matter what I do. I play a note and it doesn't hold the sustain it dies out way to quickly compared to in Rocksmith it can hold out so much longer. And when I'm bending I can really get out a few bends in the note before it dies down and sounds way better.

For example, listen to this song @0:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNEC9NaJuE

The heavy guitar part, no matter what I do. In rocksmith I play the song and it sounds awesome, but on my guitar no matter what I do it sounds like shit. I've bought a fuzz pedal, a bosd1 distortion pedal. But no matter what it doesn't get me this sound. I want this heavy sound, and a good distortion/sound for solos. I know this song requires octave pedals and such. But the distorted parts sound awesome, and the notes ring out I just want to know how to get this sound.
Lol, I couldn't get the damn thing (Amplifi) to work when I tried to try it, but wow, what a glowing review!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Sorrelity
Trust me I have, the distortion sucks. Like it's just staticy is the best way I could describe it. Like it doesn't have a killer distorted sound it's just loud and full of static. Don't get me wrong I can get some good tones out of this. But what I'm looking for is like when I'm playing solo's no matter what I do. I play a note and it doesn't hold the sustain it dies out way to quickly compared to in Rocksmith it can hold out so much longer. And when I'm bending I can really get out a few bends in the note before it dies down and sounds way better.

For example, listen to this song @0:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNEC9NaJuE

The heavy guitar part, no matter what I do. In rocksmith I play the song and it sounds awesome, but on my guitar no matter what I do it sounds like shit. I've bought a fuzz pedal, a bosd1 distortion pedal. But no matter what it doesn't get me this sound. I want this heavy sound, and a good distortion/sound for solos. I know this song requires octave pedals and such. But the distorted parts sound awesome, and the notes ring out I just want to know how to get this sound.

well tried to avoid this but dude Line 6 amps suck period. most modellers don't play nice with pedals so trying to get that happening isn't the plan. the ds-1 isn't known for heavy distortion so good luck with that.

now it seems to me that you just plain aren't setting your amp correctly as that kind of distortion shouldn't be that much of a problem. my guess you're using way to much and turning your tone to mush. ease up and you may be suprised.
Rocksmith probably uses a combination of compression, echo, and distortion to get you that long sustain. I'm sure there's a noise gate in there as well. I'd mess around with a JCM800 or SLO or maybe 5150 type model, put a short stereo delay in front, probably compressor with the attack turned to slow and a long release, and some sort of OD or distortion model in front, maybe a tubescreamer. Don't go overboard with the gain, especially on the amp model.

I would suggest using the modeled pedals the Amplifi has onboard, modeling amps don't always play well with "real" pedals out front, especially if you're trying to boost or distort the signal.
Quote by Sorrelity
Okay guys here is my best attempt at getting the sound. I just barely learned the riff just now, so it's a little rough. But the sound isn't the same what am I doing wrong?
https://soundcloud.com/sorrelity/reapers-audio-file

way to much distortion. you are mistaking adding gobs of distortion with the notes actually sustaining. as i've said before lay off the gain. no amount of gain or sustain will make up for poor playing though.

we've all been there at one time or another. your going to find that you need far lless distortion than you think. dial in a good tone and ease up on the distortion. keep in mind that you are using a modeller and may not be able tonail some ofthe tones you want. they used way better gear. now a good sound can be had with some effort most of the songs in the link in my profile were done with a Line 6 POD (granted they are much better than your amp but still).
I can play much better, but I just barely learned the riff and haven't had much practice. But anyway. I try lowering the distortion and it sounds so plain and crap. Hontestly this amp sucks dick. I spent $500 on it.

I have a Pod X3 Live. Which is similar to the POD I would imagine. I listened to your songs but they don't sound anything like what I'm going for. I want to get that heavy sounding riff from that song. I've got money, what gear do I need? because I would imagine this gear is pretty professional...
The part in the video has a crunchy Marshall sound to it, sort of a darker, slightly thicker version of ACDC tone, to my ears...on my phone speaker. If you have money, I think Splawn and Soldano tend to aim for that sorta sound, though their beyond me. That's where I'd start looking if I were in your shoes. Or, an RM
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Less gain, less low, more mid, double track it

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Open up the tone for that song in Tone Designer and see how it was done.

Also, since you’re playing along with a multi-tracked recording, you’re getting huge sound that’s not possible for one person with one amp to get.
Should not have gotten a Line 6 dude
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
The amplify uses pod xt x3 modeling so you should get the same sound as your pod x3
your amp should have models for all that stuff so i don't understand what the problem is.
Quote by monwobobbo
your amp should have models for all that stuff so i don't understand what the problem is.

It's operator error.

And since the operator doesn't want to work with the learning curve, he's blaming the amp.

That's a pretty basic tone, and that amp will produce it. I think the TS just wants someone to do it for him.
Quote by dspellman
It's operator error.

And since the operator doesn't want to work with the learning curve, he's blaming the amp.

That's a pretty basic tone, and that amp will produce it. I think the TS just wants someone to do it for him.

seems that way but he posted the components which seemed like a no brainer. what can any of us tell him that he doesn't already know .
Quote by Sorrelity
Okay guys here is my best attempt at getting the sound. I just barely learned the riff just now, so it's a little rough. But the sound isn't the same what am I doing wrong?
https://soundcloud.com/sorrelity/reapers-audio-file

Too much gain. Way way too much gain. If turning the gain down sounds bad then you're either using the wrong amp model or it's simply a technique issue. Personally I suspect the latter.

While your amp is by no means a good amp you should definitely at least be able to get in the ballpark of that tone. It wouldn't sound the same, but you also have to remember that the recording uses double/triple/quad tracked guitars and the bass is really what's giving that riff a good deal of it's heaviness.
Don't be surprised if the tone you want from that song was made using tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and studio magic. It's freaking Muse.

But anyway, like everybody else is saying, line 6s aren't great amps, but you should still be able to dial in a good enough sound. They're not THAT bad. You need to lay off the gain. That cannot be stressed enough. You do NOT need to max out the gain knob for a high gain tone. Absolutely not. And don't scoop the mids either. The guitar is a midrange instrument, and it's tone lives there. That classic smiley face EQ curve that everybody has heard of is actually a shitty idea that destroys a guitar's tone.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by icronic
you also have to remember that the recording uses double/triple/quad tracked guitars and the bass is really what's giving that riff a good deal of it's heaviness.

Also this. Studio versions of songs with distorted guitars are almost always heavily layered. And the bass matters. In fact, in that particular song, there's more beefiness coming from the bass than the guitar. That's actually more common than most people realize. Part of the reason that people think bass is usually inaudible in modern metal. It's because the bass is playing right along with the guitar, and people think they're hearing a fat guitar tone with no bass, but they're actually hearing a lot of bass, underneath a guitar tone that's nowhere near as powerful as they think it is.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by monwobobbo
seems that way but he posted the components which seemed like a no brainer. what can any of us tell him that he doesn't already know .

That's true enough. But simply posting the components doesn't get him past the trial and error that gets you to the tone you want. There's a tone guide for the Pod HD series, for example (by a guy with a username close to yours: Meambobbo) that passes on a LOT of information about how to get a good high-gain sound from the Pods. A lot of that is also good *general* information as well.

There have been a lot of folks who've shown up here with judgments about Pod HDs that have never spent time with them, and that this "tone guide" could have helped. But it took meambobbo some time and work to put it all together. Now we've got a guy who's railing that his new Amplifi 150 is crap because he can't get what he wants out of it. Yet. Welcome to Short Attention Span Theater 3.1.
I can pull it off pretty close with my flextone 2 XL. I use a a Morley ABC switch. I just listen to the song & choose the amp model that sounds closest, & tweek it from there.
let's not forget the sustainiac if.you're really worried about it... that pick up will give you whatever sustain you want 😂
Also, keep in mind that rocksmith has engineers that go over and over and over the tone of the actual guitar in the actual song and model it perfectly. The tone that was achieved on the original recording was worked on for probably hours in a studio to get it perfect, using really expensive top of the line equipment. Getting a perfect tone match is going to be tough.