I'm currently building a telecaster with a bridge humbucker and single coil neck pickup with a 3 position selector switch. I want to wire the bridge humbucker so i am able to have parallel/coil split/series on a seperate 3 position toggle. I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram for this so if someone could provide me a link or a picture of how that would go that would be a big help! If that is not possible, i would at least like to have humbucker/coil split on the 3pdt.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
this is a seymour duncan color code if you're using something else i suggest guitarelectronics.com to figure out the color code. As we know this is a 4 wire pickup thing only.

so remove the tone pot (for example) and you're back to just one volume.
solder all the pickup starting at the DPDT selector (on/on/on variant)

hot lead wire goes to your selector as always
ground goes to the volume pots back

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 6, 2015,
And the rest of the wiring is the same as usual just the wire from the toggle to the selector switch?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
exactly, any problems let me know I try to answer as many wiring questions on here as possible. It keeps me sharp.

this is it, i added a 3/5 way blade converter to this, like before though just make the DPDT (on/on/on) do all the work and the hot leads the same place and ground where you feel like it.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 7, 2015,
There's no tone pot in that diagram. That's what I'm having trouble with. I've never wired a guitar before and can't find a complete diagram with a volume and tone knob. Does using the dpdt switch remove the ability to have a tone knob? Also, do I need to use 500k volume and tone pots?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
you can add one by all means, just usually when i think telecaster control plates i think volume , switch and a second potentiometer. A perfect example of a wiring going nuts with options is either the BC Rich perfect 10 or even the jimmy page wiring. As long as there is no conflict you'll be fine.

the easy answer the left lug (contact) of the volume you can attach a tone to. What makes the left lug special is that it activates either tone or mid scoop/boosts. I can get really technical about it but yeah, the one wiring coming from the tone to the volume is just to activate it. Besides that you're just grounding a capacitor.

for bonus points if you've got an "A250k" or "A500k" pot try the 1950s style of wiring your tone pot it retains the highs better when you roll down the volume like vintage les pauls. It's a subtle change but so much easier to just treble bleed a volume pot to retain the highs on A250k or A500k pots.

if you're having trouble tomorrow though let me know. This DPDT switch if you use the right washer/nut can replace a tone pot completely. But like before just add the switch to any tele wiring you can imagine and it'll work.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jun 7, 2015,