Hi, guys! It's been a while.
This is the third take of this song i made so! i'd appreciate your critics on the mix and the song itself!

https://soundcloud.com/isa-cw/anubis-v30

As always thanks and have a good day. <3
c4c of course

Signal.
PRS Torero with emg 81/85 -> Zoom g5 -> Cubase.
Drums: Addictive drums
Hi,

The beginning is cool as, I really like the fade in. The drum cymbals could do with a hi-cut on frequencies above 10-12k, they sound a little bit harsh, or at least a flat line there. The Main section is cool but it is a little bit repetitive. The material works well, its just that there isnt that something really grabs your attention like it does in the beginning. I reckon a mad melodic line would really tie this together.

The bass sounds good and the tone is brilliant, I like everything about the song except for the cymbal eq. It would branch into the extremely impressive category in my opinion with a solid lead line, melody line, whatever you wanna call it. The chugs and grooves are cool, but they seem almost like theyre wanting to play a supporting role.
Keep making music!
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677368
Both cymbals? Cause i do agree the right one sounds super harsh xp
i do agree in everything you said! Best review ever haha
theres isnt that punch in this song. It lacks that smack you in the fave chorus or whatevs
Alright then! Time to do some edits. Thanks!
ill review you aa soon as i get home. (Getting some tacoos)
The intro does sound really cool. The way you made the track sound so distant is brilliant. The song itself, by composition sounds very nice, the constant tremolo picked guitar in the background gives it a lot of depth and the third melody that gets blended in at about 1:10 fits it very well, and the resulting blend sounds bloody awesome. I have the same problem with the mix I have with most low-budget djent mixes, which is the fact that the bass doesn't get that much attention due to the guitars hogging all the bass, but if you'd turn it up just a notch I'd say the tone is spot on. The track is a bit monotone since it's an instrumental with a constant chug thorough, but a pleasant listen nonetheless. I agree with Tommygun on that a lead melody or some other form of variety would benefit the song greatly.

And I'd say that both cymbals are too harsh. I've heard worse, but I've also heard a lot better. Otherwise the mix is really nice, it's a great track.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Hey there,

Thanks for sharing this post with us.

I have to say this track sounds very polished. This track really demonstrates command for intricate and interesting rhythms. The lead phrasing here is also very well done and technically proficient. My main criticism of the mix is that the lead phrasing gets drowned out at certain sections of the song by the rhythm section.

On to the specific moments which caught my attention:

0:00-0:28: I'm a fan of fade-in intros like this, the slurred phrasing was very enjoyable.
0:30: The guitar and drum parts interact well here.
2:00: The pause here was very fitting.
2:20: Lead phrasing here is drowned out by rhythm parts.
2:40: Cool melody lines here, reminds me of Chimp Spanner.

Overall, this was very well done. There's a nice balance of rhythm and lead playing here. I think many djent artists have an issue reaching that balance.

Could you check out my track? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678522
Whoa, man, that sounds quite great! That fade-in intro sounds awesome and casts this great "something huge is marching towards us" feel - something you could imagine hearing during a gigantic battle scene in a film. When the chugging-guitars enter they sound awesome as well, being very crisp and catchy with a very approachable rhythm.

But, I do have an issue with the mixing - as mentioned, the lead guitar is quite lost in the mix or just isn't there at times you'd think it should be so it wouldn't just feel like a backing to an absent lead part. Also, it's not really a problem per se, but the "cheery" part at 2:30 felt in a way a bit too contrasting to the general atmosphere of the piece to me, though it's still very well-sounding and catches your ear. Maybe just find a way to still make it feel a bit "vicious" as well.

Edit: You know what, I take that back. I've listened to that part a couple more times and it's just too catchy to say "no" to!
Last edited by TLGuitar at Jun 8, 2015,
Thanks for the critics, guys!
I'll turn a lil bit the bass and turn down some rhytim guitars when needed
Well, everybody liked the intro so thats definetly something thats gonna stay haha
I'll check out chimp spanner

I was kinda worried that it feels a bit too much riffage but i guess its not the case
isa,
I think it sounds more melodic (and less repetitive) than most djent, so that is a plus. The playing is tight. Some good occasional vocals wouldn't hurt. Audio quality is good, glad it doesn't have loads of treble, because I'm sensitive to that. I used to hang out with chimp spanner on the Line 6 forums, but I haven't seen him there in years. Nice tune & recording! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677541
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Jun 9, 2015,
i think the lead at 1:30 needs to be brought way up in the mix. i'm not a fan of the repetitive reverby guitar layer that keeps going on in the background. i feel like i want to hear just the rhythm track by itself like the part starting at 2:57. i think with all the overdubs it starts to get really cluttered sonically at 2:35

i think all your rhythm riffs are cool even if i'm not exactly a fan of djent, nice playing man! i don't hear much bass, are you just doubling the guitar parts exactly?

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678710
Hello.

This has some interesting little lead harmonies on the runs. Not what I would have expected - they sound good. I like the tremolo picked part with the heavy reverb running along over the top, it adds a nice atmosphere. It did get a little repetitive after a while (I'm no stranger to continuing a riff) and could maybe have been developed a little more to keep it engaging.The change to bring in the lead was very welcome when it came and added a cool new dimension but was a little short lived for me.

The mix is pretty damn good. Nice and clean, plenty of power from kick and snare. The guitar and bass tones are cool and mesh together well.

Cool track, I enjoyed listening to it.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677842

Cheers
Last edited by RabidBadger at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by rky
i think the lead at 1:30 needs to be brought way up in the mix. i'm not a fan of the repetitive reverby guitar layer that keeps going on in the background. i feel like i want to hear just the rhythm track by itself like the part starting at 2:57. i think with all the overdubs it starts to get really cluttered sonically at 2:35

i think all your rhythm riffs are cool even if i'm not exactly a fan of djent, nice playing man! i don't hear much bass, are you just doubling the guitar parts exactly?

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678710

I do agree is repetitive. I have this thing which if i dont have something going on in the background i feel the mix is lacking some depth or sounds too dry so thats my problem :c

I'm just double tracking the guitars. The basic one left one right BUT with one more in the middle just to add a bigger sound. But its really low in the mix, almost impossible to hear.
Awesome introduction, symphonically richly textured guitars create a palpable suspense which is generously rewarded with the main entry. Incisive polyrhythms interweave through dark minor tonalities with pungent hints at anxious atonalities. Beautifully mixed, with a full rounded bottom end, clear solid middles and crisp trebles, all is balanced and mastered to a professional standard.
Super tight performances in his metal fantasia. I wonder if this is actually too clever - there is a plethora of thematic material here, which is all logically developed and structured, but perhaps a simpler conception would be more accessible to most listeners.
But I think this progressive piece to be a mighty achievement. Really nothing here to criticise, all is consummately done, total master musicianship, brilliant composition, rock on,,,,,,
For a crafty change you can C4C here.