Hi, I'm terribly sorry, this hunk of metal has been well discussed here and elsewhere, but I'm looking to get one and have a few questions to ask as I'm very inexperienced with all types of audio equipment. So, appreciate it...

1) Several reviews call out the preamps and distortion sounds on the boss gt 8 as muck, and youtube demos seem to demonstrate this (but no one should evaluate youtube videos for quality right?) I'm no tone expert and am probably easy to please, but are the gt 8s OD/DS sounds passable - especially through a PA and for direct recording? (I know some editing is required always) Or are they completely unusable? I wouldn't use metal tones or fuzzy ones, just rock/country crunch and contemporary pop drive tones.

2) How do the line/phones out sound like for recording? Don't have a sound card yet, and I'm on a tight budget.

3) Are there significant differences in terms of sound quality between the boss gt 8 and older models?

4) I know the GT 8 uses a 14v AC power supply, but will a generic one not work with it? I live where guitar equipment is scarce, let alone expensive, and I'd like to be able to easily replace a dead adapter.

The distortion quality is my major concern, so I'd really appreciate advice/ sound clip demos which are hard to find.

PS (My only other alternative is the line6 POD xt, but is a fair bit more expensive)

Sorry about the 'cliche' post - the gt8s and 10s are years old as I understand, and there is quite a bit of info already. Still, please advise any way you can

Thanks!
The tones are not garbage but why not go GT-10? Essentially same unit but with USB interface for recording built in. The GT-8 and GT-10 sound essentially the same, they just spruced it up a little, not much difference sonically. If you know what you're doing you can get good sounds out of it. Also you can use cab emulation on the DAW side if you don't want to use Boss', there are free vsts available like Lepou cab emulator.
I have some patches for Gt-8 if you get it, you can load with the librarian program.
There's the Boss douche videos:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/3sXlXtWC050?vndapp=youtube_mobile&vndclient=mv-google&vndel=watch&vnddnc=1
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 7, 2015,
Hi there, urheard2008.

Such questions as yours are always welcome - if this isn't the place for advise - where is then?!

Well, to answer your questions!

First off, I would get a GT-10 - it's much better and has some really cool features!
I own one myself and really dig it! It gives me some really good sound - and I run it through our PA-System, using the built-in amps and cabs It's realy killer!
The amps, cabs and OD/DS on the GT-10 is really good and by tweaking some knobs you can get some very good sounds!
For your needs I would really say that the GT-10 is the solution!

The Line/Phone output select is amazing, it really takes the tone and make it sound fantastic through a PA-System. I do it all the time now and I haven't looked back!
Also for recording it's very good and stabile - no major delay in sound of respons!

Well, of course there're some differences between the older models and the newer models, but the GT-10 will get you there, no worries.

Try searching a bit on YouTube about the GT-10, there's a lot of videoes and sound clips!

I would go for the Boss, anytime!

Good luck, let me know what you decide!

Regards.
Quote by urheard2008
Hi, I'm terribly sorry, this hunk of metal has been well discussed here and elsewhere, but I'm looking to get one and have a few questions to ask as I'm very inexperienced with all types of audio equipment. So, appreciate it...

1) Several reviews call out the preamps and distortion sounds on the boss gt 8 as muck, and youtube demos seem to demonstrate this (but no one should evaluate youtube videos for quality right?) I'm no tone expert and am probably easy to please, but are the gt 8s OD/DS sounds passable - especially through a PA and for direct recording? (I know some editing is required always) Or are they completely unusable? I wouldn't use metal tones or fuzzy ones, just rock/country crunch and contemporary pop drive tones.

Ans. Youtube videos are not good for finding subtle audible differences. If it sounds mucky in most videos by different people then there's hardly youtube compression to blame for it.

2) How do the line/phones out sound like for recording? Don't have a sound card yet, and I'm on a tight budget.
Ans.Not good, require external cab sims to be useful.

3) Are there significant differences in terms of sound quality between the boss gt 8 and older models?
Ans.Not much.

4) I know the GT 8 uses a 14v AC power supply, but will a generic one not work with it? I live where guitar equipment is scarce, let alone expensive, and I'd like to be able to easily replace a dead adapter.
Ans. Probably, usually 9v to 12v are common to find, 14v is odd to locate quickly.

The distortion quality is my major concern, so I'd really appreciate advice/ sound clip demos which are hard to find.

PS (My only other alternative is the line6 POD xt, but is a fair bit more expensive)

Sorry about the 'cliche' post - the gt8s and 10s are years old as I understand, and there is quite a bit of info already. Still, please advise any way you can

Thanks!

I put the answers to your questions in the quote above. A zoom g3 or tech 21 flyrig would work better than the gt8 for direct. Some vids that might help.
Zoom g3 http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXTY0OBx5D8
Flyrig 5 http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_2iC7r37E
Gt8 + Cab simulator http://youtube.com/watch?v=5eq_-UM7ETY