My first combo. And I want to play thrash, heavy metal. Slayer, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin... Thanx for your answers
if you're mainly playing metal, the peavey vypyr (haven't tried) or higher wattage roland cubes are normally considered superior. the valvetronixes have the rep of being better for lower gain tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ID SERIES

I own the Valvetronix VT30 (precursor to the VT+) and I own the ID:60 TVP. There's no contest the Blackstar ID TVP kicks the VOX arse! The 30W model in the link is about $20 more than the Vox but you get a 12 inch speaker instead of ten. The effects are better on the ID and the range of tones and distortion is better IMO on the BS (OD2 will give you gobs of distortion and sustain for days) You can also connect it to your PC for programming settings with free downloadable SW.

EDIT I see if you buy the foot pedal you get a real price break on it. It normally runs $80+ but it's only $50 more with the amp. It will give much more control over the amp and access to all the user programmable memory slots too.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 7, 2015,
VT series isn't really for hard metal. Great for classic rock, blues, and other lower gain stuff, but not really great for slayer.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Quote by fagelamusgtr
VT series isn't really for hard metal. Great for classic rock, blues, and other lower gain stuff, but not really great for slayer.

+1

Buy a Vypyr.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I see the old Vypyrs are no longer available and it's the Vypyr VIP 1, 2 or 3. Check out the Peavey site, there's some complaints about some re-occurring defects. I wasn't as crazy about the sound quality, something about the Transtube I think.

Check out this review/demo on the ID:60 (which I own) he cover's some metal territory in it.
Youtube demo

Some nice VH tones and playing in this demo.

Van Halen settings demo
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 7, 2015,
Have the VT30, and while I haven't tried the VT40 I wouldn't recommend it for metal if it's anything like the old one. Too much bass and it gets very muddy at higher gain-levels. Great clean and classic rock tones though!
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by jozef2451
My first combo. And I want to play thrash, heavy metal. Slayer, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin... Thanx for your answers

Yep, wrong amp for those bands. The Vox does Clapton, Gilmour, The Edge, Joe Strummer, pretty well but not the heavier stuff.

Peavey is your friend.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by HomerSGR
Have the VT30, and while I haven't tried the VT40 I wouldn't recommend it for metal if it's anything like the old one. Too much bass and it gets very muddy at higher gain-levels. Great clean and classic rock tones though!

Lift your VT30 off the floor, I have mine on a low speaker stand and it really took the boominess out of it.
Moving on.....
Blackstar ID 15 TVP- can it keep up with the drums?
They say it's loud as real valve.
Last edited by jozef2451 at Jun 8, 2015,
blackstar says a lot of things

(i haven't tried it so I dunno, but blackstar definitely has the rep of saying a lot of things )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my valvetronix. I've had one of the newer models before, too (VT80+) and loved that one as well. But yeah, the high gain heavy metal tone is really the only thing it doesn't excel at. If that's what you need primarily, you'd be much better off getting an actual all tube combo. Or, if you're set of modeling/built in effects, the Peavey Vypyr. If you can find one of the now-discontinued Vypyr Tube 60 models, jump on that shit. But the new VIP models (no tubes at all) are very nice for what they are, and definitely kick the crap out of the vox for high gain.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jun 8, 2015,
Quote by jozef2451
Blackstar ID 15 TVP- can it keep up with the drums?
They say it's loud as real valve.

Why would you start with a 40W modelling amp then decide to switch down to a 15W amp in a different model? The ID:30 TVP is the closest to your original wattage and at a comparable price as well. It looks like you're scaling your budget back as you go, probably due to the very low price of the new Vypyr VIP Series which certainly are cheap but the demos I've heard don't seem that nice. Too bad the original Vypyrs have been replaced with these less expensive (& IMO lesser) models.
The ID TVPs are as loud as a real amp, there are so many demos/reviews on them and no one who actually owns one other than myself has responded to your thread so you can read my replies and do what you will.
Have you looked at some online demos yet (couple linked in my thread earlier)? Are you able to go to a store and compare these things for yourself or are you stuck buying without trying?
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 8, 2015,
Quote by KenG
Lift your VT30 off the floor, I have mine on a low speaker stand and it really took the boominess out of it.

I had it on a chair. I almost never use it anymore, I only keep it because the used value is negligible from where I stand and because it's nice to have spare amps to lend for jamming with friends.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I agree with the above. I own two VOX VT30 amps and I love them. One amp I have settings programmed that are fairly clean and I use that amp for jobs where that sound is more appropriate for the lighter music we play in some rooms. The other VOX VT30 is programmed for classic rock. I really don't think this amp is suited for metal. Bluesy crunch and heavy rock, yes absolutely. Not metal.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.