I have the same set of strings on my Ibanez 655 prestige from nearly 8 months ago when I bought it new. I have played it around 5-6 hours a week and the strings still feel like new (apart from the one I snapped tonight ). Im looking to purchase another set of this type of string but I have no idea what type it is. Does anyone know what strings they ship with this guitar from the factory?

lodgi
It's probably because your sweat isn't very acidic more-so than the specific brand of strings being less likely to rust. Consider that a blessing, some guys rust out the bridges on their guitars from their sweat.

If you like the strings that it came with - keep using them and have fun playing.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Are you sure they are not Cleartone strings?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not from a factory, I wouldn't think.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not from a factory, I wouldn't think.

I have seen several guitar shops using coated strings on the floor-models just so they don't have to do string changes while it is in stock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sometimes you don't notice how old your strings are getting until you put new ones on.
Quote by mhanbury2
Sometimes you don't notice how old your strings are getting until you put new ones on.

^this. Strings are cheap. It's best to change them regularly.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by mhanbury2

I was about to say this.

They may not rust, but their sound dulls over time. I guess you'll notice a great difference in sound when you change them.

My strings rust after 1 month and a half-2 months because I have very sweaty hands, but I kept one of my guitars in a case for 3 months. Didn't used it during that time, I opened it up and the strings weren't rusty, but the sound was very dull and lifeless.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jun 8, 2015,
I sweat. It's that simple. Good for you if you don't. I change the strings often because they sound dull after 3-4 weeks if I am playing gigs reguarly. I do use string cleaners but when the strings loose that high mid sound I have to change them. Regardless of what any string cleaning product may say, I haven't found one that can bring back the tone on a set of strings that has already gone "dull". I agree that you really know just how bad they were after you put on and tune up a new set of strings. The difference is very noticeable. (You just reminded me I have two guitars I need to do before the week end.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 8, 2015,
Well I have been an user of ernie ball slinkeys (0.010 to 0.046) for years as these were always the cheapest in the shop, and I have never given other string brands much attention (tried some rotosounds once). After a week or two I can really feel the difference from when the ernie balls were new, but the ones on my ibanez feel very smooth even after 8 months.

I know I should change strings a lot more often than I do but I haven't got the time. Sometimes I will only practise for 20-30 minutes after my child has been put to bed so changing string would potentially mean missing a practise session. So I want the strings that last the longest possible time. They did feel coated when I first tried the guitar in the shop.
Quote by lodgi
Well I have been an user of ernie ball slinkeys (0.010 to 0.046) for years as these were always the cheapest in the shop, and I have never given other string brands much attention (tried some rotosounds once). After a week or two I can really feel the difference from when the ernie balls were new, but the ones on my ibanez feel very smooth even after 8 months.

I know I should change strings a lot more often than I do but I haven't got the time. Sometimes I will only practise for 20-30 minutes after my child has been put to bed so changing string would potentially mean missing a practise session. So I want the strings that last the longest possible time. They did feel coated when I first tried the guitar in the shop.

Your guitar has a Floyd Rose tremolo right? Then yes, it might take some time to change the strings, but if you change them one by one or block the tremolo, it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. But since you only have 20-30 minutes to practice, every minute counts I suppose.

If you are sure they felt coated, they were either Cleartone or Elixirs. At least they are the most used coated strings.
^Yep, I'm pretty sure i've seen a few brand new guitars with tags on them saying they are fitted with elixir nanoweb strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have seen several guitar shops using coated strings on the floor-models just so they don't have to do string changes while it is in stock.

sam ash always restrings with cleartones unless it's a martin guitar.

martin guitars get martin strings period.

but any other guitar needing a restring gets cleartones, so they last longer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
most likely coated like elixer strings. i use those and they last forever due to the coating
Yeah that's not possible. They may still feel good, but they don't feel "new". If you think they do, it's because you've forgotten (or just don't know) what new strings feel like.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6