Any guitar teachers here?

Im starting to give guitar lessons to a girl, she's just starting out..

Any pointers, advice for me as a new guitar teacher?
Quote by mikerockcity
Any guitar teachers here?

Im starting to give guitar lessons to a girl, she's just starting out..

Any pointers, advice for me as a new guitar teacher?

How old is she?

Electric or Acoustic?

What is your playing background and knowledge?

What are her goals and tastes in music?

Have you ever taught before?

Is she paying you?

Once I know the answers to these, I can better advise you.

Best,

Sean
No offense, but from looking at your other posts it doesn't look like you have any qualifications as a guitar teacher.

Why do consider yourself a guitar teacher and not just someone showing someone else the basics of how to play?
Quote by Twelda
No offense, but from looking at your other posts it doesn't look like you have any qualifications as a guitar teacher.

Why do consider yourself a guitar teacher and not just someone showing someone else the basics of how to play?

Any? You're one of the guys who lurk around forums, know everything about everything and never get laid right? loll No offense taken! I`m getting paid!
I definitely don't know everything about everything. I'm not a guitar teacher nor am I qualified to be one. I've shown several people "how to play the guitar," but I wouldn't call it "teaching."

The fact that she's going to pay you doesn't mean anything. She could just be impressed by you personally and think that you know your stuff, but since she knows nothing she doesn't know what you know or don't know.
I just dont understand why its a concern to you? I have been playing for many years and yes I do ask a lot of question on here because I let the guitar go for the last few years and when I was younger I dint pay attention to theory so I come here chat, ask questions.

So in this case of guitar lessons, yes I am trying to establish a business, she is a friend and asked me to teach her so she is my first.

I dont want to debate his any longer, we are getting of topic. This is not about my skills but its a thread for everyone who wants to give lessons, get better themselves etc.
Quote by mikerockcity

I dont want to debate his any longer, we are getting of topic. This is not about my skills but its a thread for everyone who wants to give lessons, get better themselves etc.

If I were you, I'd use this one as a "You teach me teaching, I teach you playing" chance, with no money involved.
If, as you said, there are many fields of music, such as theory, you didn't care much about in the past, having to teach the basics of it will force you to study them well enough to expain them to someone else in the first place. (probably, this process will get your knowledge way more organized and complete)

So I'd say, go for it, but don't rush with the "business" thing unless you are SURE you can provide a service that's good enough with what you get paid for.

Of course, that's what I'd do (being an intermediate guitarist and not expert or ready to make teaching a job) if a friend of mine asked me to teach them

I'm not a teacher, but a VERY important thing you should do, is to develop a method to teach her, and a path for her to follow.
Too often teachers (even people with very very good skills at what they are teaching) have a very disorganized approach to teaching, and not having the student seeing a clear path, in my opinion, makes everything more difficult and even discouraging (especially in a field complex as music).
This, and the fact that some stuff has to be learned properly before proceeding. Not every teacher checks stuff to be done properly before taking the next step.

Oh, and don't be afraid to say "I don't know/I have to check" instead of telling something that may be wrong, I guess

Also, you should provide the answers to Sean's questions, I think he may be of great help for you.

Of course, it's just my opinion!

Good luck