Track title: Dissipate
Link to track: https://soundcloud.com/andresjam/andres-dissipate

Hey dudes,

I just wrote a new track called "Dissipate." Like some of my other recent tracks, this is a combination of metal, shoegaze, and some 80s inspired leads. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think about the mix/instrumentation/whatever else.

C4C: Please leave a link to the forum post or your track and I'll be more than happy to check out your stuff!

Thanks!
I love the toooooone. It's so beefy
Was the black metal intro supposed to sound centered like that? Feels weird.
But as soon as the 0:16 punch you in the face its great cause it works out with the way the intro is mixed.
I have nothing bad to say about the mix. It's pretty solid
About instrumentation i feel the drums are quite simple. If thats what you were aiming for its good! Itsounds good im not sayng it doesn't.
But just inmy opinion the track could stand up even more if you added some variation with the drums
Thanks for checking out my track!

When I began recording the track I noticed the transition from the intro to the 'verse' at 0:16 could be exploited to demonstrate some contrast. I wanted the intro to be kind of lo-fi and raw and then surprise the listener. I'm glad it worked . As for the drums, I'm not much of a percussionist and programming novel parts has been a hurdle for me. I'll definitely take your advice and vary it up a little more though.
Quote by isaimeph
You could add a filter to just that part.
It's not a great example but take alook at this short idea i recorded
https://soundcloud.com/isa-cw/idea-03

Just recorded like you normally would and when you are done get a filter on just that part.

Not sure why that didn't occur to me. Thanks for the suggestion
Hey thanks for checking out my track Thor's Hammer.

Your mix sounds good, if anything the drums are a bit too loud to my ears.
I enjoyed the riffing around 1:20
Some good ideas overall. I'm not too much a fan on the genre specifically but to me it sounded good for the style you were going for.
I love the feel of the intro. I feel like the drums overpower the mix a bit, but not too much. The track has a nice atmosphere thorough, I definitely am a fan of the genre and I think this song has some really cool things going for it. It could be more complete, it feels like it's not a whole track if you know what I mean? It's pretty short and I felt like it ended a bit abruptly.

What are the shoegaze elements in this track? Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning whether this is classified correctly or whatever, I'm just genuinely intrigued by the way one would mix metal with shoegaze, and I'm pretty new to shoegaze as a genre. I'd love to hear your point of view in this
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
i think the bass drum sounds a little too... resonant? it could be tighter but overall i think the drums sound pretty good. what drum machine are you using? i think the double bass bursts starting from 1:34 are kind of random and don't really work for me

when you said shoegaze i assumed it was going to be blackgaze like sunbather or alcest but i'm not really hearing the blackgaze in this track :p

i think you did a good job overall, i'd like to hear it expanded and with vocals

c4c? thanks: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678710
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for reviewing my track. As for the questions about genre, I'm not always keen on describing everything I write. My influences are a bit all-over-the-place and it's hard for me to pinpoint sometimes. That said, Sunbather and Alcest are awesome groups!

As for the sampler, I'm using EZDrummer along with its metal expansion packs. Though a few of the drums are using the built-in "vintage" samples. I like how EZDrummer2 allows you to "Frankenstein" your own kit together.

I'm pretty awful at performing vocals but that's something I'd definitely like to work on adding gradually.

Cheers!
Hey,

really liking the tone, the riffs are solid especially the verse.
Would be keen on hearing vocals put on it but i see your comment above^

The tone and style of play for the lead is original too, adds a extra layer to the sound completely and thickens it out a lot cutting the need for vocals anyway, if this an instrumental that is.
Quote by silvadolla

I'm pretty awful at performing vocals........

Cheers!

I never let that stop me!

Another cool track man. You did a good job of making a decent sounding blast beat - I have real trouble getting mine to sound anything near genuine and not machine gun robot style. You definitely have some good riffs going on in here. At times I felt like there is a little too much reverb on the lead guitar tone - but then at other times I felt it fitted really well. Perhaps it's split personality on my part.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to it. Good work.

Cheers
Awesome entry of frenetic frenzy, incisively articulated, leads into searing instrumentals of heavy psychedelia. An intensely satisfying ride in this claustrophobic but somehow open arrangement, super tight and slick.
I would like to hear this sound arranged with a suitably powerful and charismatic singer. This potentially has great power if cleverly sectioned into a logically developing song or piece, with a vocalist to act as a conduit for the personality of this mighty metal music.
You can C4C here if you want,,,,
Quote by Jathon Delsy
Awesome entry of frenetic frenzy, incisively articulated, leads into searing instrumentals of heavy psychedelia. An intensely satisfying ride in this claustrophobic but somehow open arrangement, super tight and slick.
I would like to hear this sound arranged with a suitably powerful and charismatic singer. This potentially has great power if cleverly sectioned into a logically developing song or piece, with a vocalist to act as a conduit for the personality of this mighty metal music.
You can C4C here if you want,,,,

This review was a pleasure to read. I appreciate your feedback. I definitely have some areas where my writing needs improvement. Understanding and development of song structure has been hard for me to grasp, though it seems to be straight-forward for many others. I agree that this could be laid out (and extended) more strategically into logical sections.

Thanks a ton!
Quote by RabidBadger
I never let that stop me!

Another cool track man. You did a good job of making a decent sounding blast beat - I have real trouble getting mine to sound anything near genuine and not machine gun robot style. You definitely have some good riffs going on in here. At times I felt like there is a little too much reverb on the lead guitar tone - but then at other times I felt it fitted really well. Perhaps it's split personality on my part.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to it. Good work.

Cheers

I appreciate the feedback! I'm a little attached to the lead tone, but I agree it can be overbearing sometimes. As for the blastbeat, I checked some of the stock grooves that EZDrummer comes with, scrapped it, and emulated the velocity changes. It's still a little robotic though because I did stick to the MIDI time grid for the most part with little deviation. I feel like drum programming takes the longest for me to plan out and it still ends up being a little simplistic. Oh well, I'll keep trying at it, maybe I'll get some better results one day :p.