i have no idea what to do, honestly i can't run it through my head with out pain.

i have quite a few heads and quite a few cabs.

here is what i need help with.

what is the best way to use 4-6 amps with one cab? i am ATM not sure if i would need more than one on at a time, but i do want to know.

what is the best way to do it? or should i just buy some more cabs?

at the moment i am sitting ~13 tube heads (two down atm), and i have probably 8 cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Maybe the Tonebone Headbone? http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Well, stereo cabs are easy. One head into each input. Besides that, multiple heads into one cab is just not worth the hassle. The Radial Headbone is the only product I know of that let you do this, and it's not really worth the cost for most people.

Surely you're not using more than 8 heads at a time. So just swap inputs on the cab when you use a different head. Not a big deal.
Quote by AWACS
Maybe the Tonebone Headbone? http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

i saw that (after i posted) because i got it confused with voodoo lab, and was under the though that was it wasn't made anymore.

but that is only two heads though. i would need too many switchers to make it worth it.

thanks though!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Roc8995
Well, stereo cabs are easy. One head into each input. Besides that, multiple heads into one cab is just not worth the hassle. The Radial Headbone is the only product I know of that let you do this, and it's not really worth the cost for most people.

Surely you're not using more than 8 heads at a time. So just swap inputs on the cab when you use a different head. Not a big deal.

i have thought of going stereo, but i was going to ask was how the other speakers if unpowred would act with the other pair powered.

i have been just doing what you are saying and just switching jacks but i would like it to stay nice and neat.

FWIW my new house will be done in two maybe three weeks, and i am going to be keeping a good part of stuff at my studio. in a PERFECT world, i would have four heads going into one 4x12" at my new house, and all the rest at the studio. my gear would be simple clean and the wife would be happy.

sooooo:

what is the effect on a cab where only two speakers are driven?

could i just build a normal switch (like a a/b/y) and just MAKE SURE that the correct input is going to the PROPER outlet? i would just be careful with that. i just want something that is stable, good looking and functional/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

what is the effect on a cab where only two speakers are driven?

could i just build a normal switch (like a a/b/y) and just MAKE SURE that the correct input is going to the PROPER outlet? i would just be careful with that. i just want something that is stable, good looking and functional/

We routinely drove just two speakers in a 4x12 (vertical, one side or the other). You can have two heads, each driving two speakers, but the speakers can't be connected in any way.

No, you're not going to be able to put half a dozen heads through a single cabinet. The problem is that you've got to maintain a load on any head that's turned on. An A/B/Y switch won't do that. I'm sure you've noticed that no one does that. It's not a new idea, but it's not a good one.

The Headbone applies a load to the amp head before it lifts the connection. It's already got a load on the other amp head, so it then makes the connection and then lifts the load that it's been applying to the head, shifting it to the speakers. That's why it's expensive
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yes.

But if you screw up, it's gonna cost ya!

It wouldn't be hard at all to build a box with a half dozen inputs to a single output, you just need to make certain that only the selected input is powered on or carnage and tears will ensue.

In thinking about it, I think I have an industrial speaker switching box sitting around that could be easily repurposed. I'll check and if you want it it's yours.

Quote by 7thString
Your power bill may also get expensive running all those heads

Common misconception, guitar amps use ****-all for power.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 8, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Yes.

But if you screw up, it's gonna cost ya!

It wouldn't be hard at all to build a box with a half dozen inputs to a single output, you just need to make certain that only the selected input is powered on or carnage and tears will ensue.

In thinking about it, I think I have an industrial speaker switching box sitting around that could be easily repurposed. I'll check and if you want it it's yours.

Common misconception, guitar amps use ****-all for power.

Thanks Arby. I will have to look into it
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
There is this:
http://www.texasguitarwhiz.com/products/signal-splitter-box

But, from a yesterwhen, elseweb:

Quote by Analog Mike on Music Toyz Forums

César [Díaz] was very upset when Rene started to sell and take credit for these. He CC'd me on an email to Rene about that in May 2001 which I saved.

Anyway the box is very simple yet effective. It ties all the jacks together, like a Y-cord (or several Y-cords) but has an AC plug which is used just to ground the box. Then you disconnect grounds on the amps so they all share the same ground through the box.

This is simple and effective but unless you know what you are doing, you could be killed if the grounding is wrong, so I would not sell one due to liability.

Good luck!

Regards, mike ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~ vintage guitar effects

AnalogMike@aol.com www.analogman.com Analog Man
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Arby911

Nope nope noooooooope!

Summing at the output means you've now linked all the output jacks of all those heads together. Even if they're off that is a bad, bad idea. If you have a mechanical switch to isolate them, that's one thing (and could be fine if rated properly and not used while the amp is on), but you cannot just bundle all the outputs together.
Quote by Roc8995
Nope nope noooooooope!

Summing at the output means you've now linked all the output jacks of all those heads together. Even if they're off that is a bad, bad idea. If you have a mechanical switch to isolate them, that's one thing (and could be fine if rated properly and not used while the amp is on), but you cannot just bundle all the outputs together.

I didn't mean that one would simply connect a bunch of input jacks to a single output, but I can see where you might read it that way. (I really can't, but apparently it can be done... )

It would of course need a switch, as you've noted, but I wasn't discussing how to build it, merely whether it could be done or not.

Now the "Y Cord" Idea that was quoted above, that seems to me to be more along the lines of what you were "noping"?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 8, 2015,
you can do it with a simple switcher if you are really really good about not turning on any amp except the amp that you are using.

otherwise you need the radial head switcher.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Arby911
I didn't mean that one would simply connect a bunch of input jacks to a single output, but I can see where you might read it that way. (I really can't, but apparently it can be done... )

It would of course need a switch, as you've noted, but I wasn't discussing how to build it, merely whether it could be done or not.

Now the "Y Cord" Idea that was quoted above, that seems to me to be more along the lines of what you were "noping"?

I didn't think that's what you meant, but I'd rather assume than let an innocent amp become a victim. You did say "half dozen inputs to a single output" which is pretty darn close to "simply connect a bunch of input jacks to a single output" to someone who might not know to assume you also need switches.

The bigger issue as Min says is that if you forget or accidentally hit something and don't notice, you're putting a lot of expensive gear at risk. I just don't think it's worth saving a few seconds, but maybe that's because I'm clumsy and forgetful. I only have one cable and one power cord for my 2 head/1 cab setup, so that I can't even power the other head on if it's not connected to a load. Call it advanced idiotproofing for the advanced idiot.
This is the only commercially available product I know that can switch 2 tube heads with 1 cab.
I think there was a Wagener video that he had a custom made switcher box that let him use 8 amps and route to whatever speakers he wanted, that box somehow kept the right impedance even when the amps were out of the loop. I bet you getting something like that made would be custom and quite expensive.
could I take this from the other side? And switch power on and off instead of signal?

I think I'm going to say f*** it and figure it out later. or split 4x12s in half vertically and plug in myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
could I take this from the other side? And switch power on and off instead of signal?

I think I'm going to say f*** it and figure it out later. or split 4x12s in half vertically and plug in myself.

Yes, but you would want a switch that handled power and the audio signal so that as noted above, none of the amp output sections were coupled to each other.

You would need a switch that had enough positions, decks and a high enough amperage rating, but it's entirely do-able.

This one should work, but only for 4 heads.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Grayhill/44A45-02-2-04N/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYhndqMY8foDItmmLkuXO1fk%3d
Charles Darwin
Quote by diabolical
You mean you want to turn your amps on/off? I don't know, I think I saw a power strip that does that but not sure.

The way I understood it was he wants to supply power to only the one that is connected to the cab at the time, and do it without mucking with cords and cables.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

The way I understood it was he wants to supply power to only the one that is connected to the cab at the time, and do it without mucking with cords and cables.

Since capacitors can hold a charge for quite a while, it's possible you may still suffer some damage even if the amp head has been turned off.

Unplugged altogether is still the best way to do this (think abstinence as opposed to withdrawal...)
Turned off is as good as unplugged from an output point of view. Same with killing the power from an external switch/mechanism. It's all the same, electrically.
Quote by Roc8995
Turned off is as good as unplugged from an output point of view. Same with killing the power from an external switch/mechanism. It's all the same, electrically.

that is kind of what I am thinking now. the more I think about it the more I just want to say f*** it and not worry about it and do what I am doing. More cables lying around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dspellman
Since capacitors can hold a charge for quite a while, it's possible you may still suffer some damage even if the amp head has been turned off.

Unplugged altogether is still the best way to do this (think abstinence as opposed to withdrawal...)

Since there aren't any capacitors on the output side of the OT, that's pretty much bullshit.

The amp doesn't know the difference between unplugged from the wall or disconnected via a switch so that's bullshit as well.
Charles Darwin
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is kind of what I am thinking now. the more I think about it the more I just want to say f*** it and not worry about it and do what I am doing. More cables lying around.

To clarify, I was talking just about power re:capacitors. It's still possible to mess up an amp by bridging its output with one that's off. If for example you plug a head into a mono cab, and then another head into the parallel output of the same cab, you're asking for trouble, even if you never turn both heads on at the same time. It doesn't sound like that's what you're doing, but I want to be extra careful because it would suck if someone read this and accidentally damaged their amp because I wasn't clear enough.

What you're doing now is fine, though, and even if you forget to plug a head into a cab you'll probably catch it right away with no harm done. The real solution, of course, is to buy more cabs. I believe this is what is known as the "cookies and milk" phenomenon. If you run out of one before you run out of the other, you need more of both.
A.K.A. The Hot Dogs & Buns Conundrum
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!