Hi,

Picked up a Ashton GA100 head and 4x12 300Watt Celestion Stereo Cabinet very cheaply.

The head is rated (I believe .... Ashton service don't even have the manuals anymore they claim at 100Watts RMS into 8 ohm but on the rear it says minimum 4 ohm load for the two outputs wired in parallel, so it can run 200 Watts safely.

When I bought it the guy was running two proper speaker cables out from the two head outputs, switching the cabinet to stereo and connecting each cable to the two speaker cabs inputs.

Idea seemed OK. I have seen people run the output from two heads into a stereo cab. ANyway when I looked at the back of the cabinet it says two 4 ohm inputs when in stereo (see pic).

I suppose the question is, will this cook the head or speakers if turned up? I suppose with two speaker cables out of the head drops the amp to a 4 ohm load and the stereo cab splits into 2 4 ohm cabs?

Seems alright looking for assurance it should be a good impedance match.

Thank You for any help
Attachments:
xxx.jpg
Last edited by Yola_Yola at Jun 8, 2015,
No, don't do it, it's a 2 ohm load unless your amp is actually stereo. What amp is it?
If a normal mono head, run a single cable to the right socket. Switch to mono.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No, don't do it, it's a 2 ohm load unless your amp is actually stereo. What amp is it?

I don't think it is stereo. It just has two outputs wired in parallel on the back and says min 4 ohm.
Then two cables will give you 2 ohms. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The right socket is left. The left socket is right. The right socket is right. And the left socket is wrong.
^ man I needed a moment to get that but

man

woah

Anyway TS run a cable into the input that says "8ohm input".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would rewire it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yes.

Hence my need to come here. My suspicions became aroused when I took it too rehearsal for our rhythm guitarist to have a blast on. Both our guitarists looked at it a bit wide eyed but like me had never had any experience with stereo cabinets.

Anyway we set it up. At practice the lead guitarist runs on about 3 volume and gain around 6 ish. So with this thing being a solid state we thought yeah, dial it up to 3 volume and it will be just lower than the lead guitarist who runs valve.

Well lo and behold this thing was way louder than the 100W valve Marshall stack upon striking the first open A5 chord. Quickly pulled it down to 2 on the volume and played one song with the rhythm guitar way too loud for the mix.

The alarm bells began ringing something is not right. This cheaper amp should not be that loud. That is when I turned it off and said no more more until I register on this site and get some answers about impedance (as I pointed out in OP). Meanwhile guitarists jumping around going "God Damn" (LOL)

Thank You

any more advice or experience is appreciated.
You're lucky that you didn't blow the power amp up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You're lucky that you didn't blow the power amp up.

Yep lucky