Page 1 of 2
While browsing over Reverb earlier, I came across this little gem:

https://reverb.com/item/788066-electro-harmonix-big-muff-pi-1976-vintage-cardboard-box

"I am just selling the cardboard box. One owner. This box is not reliced. It is the real deal. It has been preserved safely in the back of my closet at my parents house for 40 years.

This box is a perfect place to keep your 1976 Vintage Electro-Harmonix Ram's Head Big Muff Pi (not included). I am the original owner. It has a few small dings and pencil markings. It is not bright white anymore. It is more of vintage tan/egg shell color that you would expect from a 40 year old cardboard box. The original price of $49.95 write in ink can still be seen on the side.

Just the Cardboard box! Big Muff NOT Included! I will ship this vintage cardboard box in a more modern cardboard box in make sure it arrives in one piece."

Just look at that discoloring! Totally worth 100 bucks
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Jun 8, 2015,
Craziness, but to a diehard collector it may be worth it.

Not to me...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Damn that's pretty. I can hear the sustain through my monitor!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Damn that's pretty. I can hear the sustain through my monitor!

Yeah, it definitely has sustain! You might even say that it is sustainable
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by darkwolf291
I totally get it.
It's for a collector, since people like that usually like having the original boxes with their items

Exactly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by darkwolf291
I totally get it.
It's for a collector, since people like that usually like having the original boxes with their items

as a collector sure i get that someone might want that box. for $100 that's just nuts. the box is in pretty rough condition so won't ad much if any value to the actual pedal. not even some cool graphics or something eye catching.
You might be surprised- appropriate packaging can double or more the value of something on the collector's market, even if it is in bad shape.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I fully understand a case where someone would be thriled to have that box but $100 is just frickin' stupid. A friend owns the pedal, if it were something like $20 I'd buy it as a birthday present or something in a heartbeat. But $100?! Screw that! FFS, the contents of the box only cost $50!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Arby911
Craziness, but to a diehard collector it may be worth it.

Not to me...

Me neither, but to someone who's selling an original who doesn't have the box, maybe it's worth it. I dunno what prices on vintage muffs are, but they might be enough that it might be worthwhile.

Bit like the way 1950s les paul parts are crazy money... unless you have a 1950s LP which is missing those parts. In which case the prices make sense.

EDIT: danny beat me to it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978
I fully understand a case where someone would be thriled to have that box but $100 is just frickin' stupid. A friend owns the pedal, if it were something like $20 I'd buy it as a birthday present or something in a heartbeat. But $100?! Screw that! FFS, the contents of the box only cost $50!

+311
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
meh, if i had the pedal i could see paying that.

resale value of a pedal like that with the box raises more than the $100.
mojostompboxes.com
If you check with some of the vintage guitar shops, you'll find that there have been occasions where the inclusion of the original box for both guitar and amp was good for a major bump in the selling price. I was at Rumble Seat in Ithaca, NY, where they had a Fender something or other and the amp that the guy purchased at the same time, and the price for the whole mess specifically included the original boxes they were shipped in (complete with shipping tags), which were also part of the display.
Quote by greeny23

I do have to agree. It sounds crazy, but look at listings for some vintage pedals with and with box.

$100 is not a whole picture of a $1k pedal.

And FFS, if you want a box for your rare pedal?, where the **** else are you going to find it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by greeny23

yeah that's what I was wondering (as I said, I didn't know vintage muff values).

If so it makes perfect sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might be surprised- appropriate packaging can double or more the value of something on the collector's market, even if it is in bad shape.

well when i'm not off being a guitar hero or keeping clients safe with my security gig i also am a vintage toy dealer. believe me i understand that the box in many cases adds value and at times is worth more thant the item that was in it. in this case i don't really see that. the box may be a nice addition and perhaps a reason to ask for the higher end of the pedals value but i can't see it adding much more than that. no way you'll make enough extra cash if you pay $100 for that box. if it was in mint condition sure but that one is pretty beat. in the collectable market condition is everything.
Like you, I'm in the collectibles market, though more as a consumer. While I am not "that guy", I have seen boxes that ratty adding more than $100 to the price of an action figure, an antique doll, etc. As you know, in part, it depends on the value of the collectible it is meant to contain. An original box for an early 1930's toy car, for instance.."

As I recall, the price difference between an unboxed Acroyear II Micronaut and a boxed one starts at $50-100.

I wouldn't be surprised to do likewise with rare electronics...likewise depending on the value of the electronics in question, of course. Oddly, though, I have ZERO idea how much that particular pedal goes for. Anyone know?

Of course, what makes me sick is how much of my childhood has become collectible...and that, through no fault of my own, I am mostly not able to cash in on most of the crazes. Many things I owned were given away by my parents or grandparents, who had not a clue. To be fair, neither did I in many cases.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Like you, I'm in the collectibles market, though more as a consumer. While I am not "that guy", I have seen boxes that ratty adding more than $100 to the price of an action figure, an antique doll, etc. As you know, in part, it depends on the value of the collectible it is meant to contain. An original box for an early 1930's toy car, for instance.."

As I recall, the price difference between an unboxed Acroyear II Micronaut and a boxed one starts at $50-100.

I wouldn't be surprised to do likewise with rare electronics...likewise depending on the value of the electronics in question, of course. Oddly, though, I have ZERO idea how much that particular pedal goes for. Anyone know?

Of course, what makes me sick is how much of my childhood has become collectible...and that, through no fault of my own, I am mostly not able to cash in on most of the crazes. Many things I owned were given away by my parents or grandparents, who had not a clue. To be fair, neither did I in many cases.

toys are different than pedals. many older toys had cool box art etc which makes them desireable. that pedal box is a plain white box with a stamp on it. i just can't see many collectors going nuts for that. i also just plain can't think of any instances i've seen where a pedal box added to the price in any real way. unlike toy collectors guys buying pedals are going to use them. no mint in the box sentiments. again if the box was mint and had a mint pedal then yeah i could see it perhaps fetching a premium.

pedal listed o ebay in the $6-750 range. not sure if anyone is really paying that much though. can't see anyone paying anotehr $100 for the box.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jun 8, 2015,
Sure they're different. And customers in each market value things differently. My Mom used to collect dolls- few of those have "cool boxes" but they're big value boosters, nonetheless.

OTOH, I don't know that collectible barbed wire- yes, that's a thing, for those who don't know- is significantly more valuable in box, unless you're talking the REALLY early era stuff.

A $700 pedal, huh? That's probably starting to get into the price range where the truly nutty collectors might start looking hard at paying stupid money for beat up cardboard. $100, though...

Wouldn't be me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah people will spend gratuitous amounts of money on anything, just about

Never understood the appeal of collecting anything myself, but then again, I've never had a gratuitous amount of money to spend on absurd shit
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Many things I owned were given away by my parents or grandparents, who had not a clue. To be fair, neither did I in many cases.

I have a few things that have become worth silly money while I've owned them, but I had no intention of "collecting" or "investing" in anything. I bought what I thought was cool and that I liked.

I have an old car that's been hauled around from garage to friend's house to studio to industrial unit and back to garage, and it's generally been worth a bit more than I paid for it. Over the last 10 years, however, it's gone up by 7-10X (condition dependent), and most of that has occurred in the last three years. I have three old guitars that shot up over the last 15 years, but that have leveled off in the last 3-5 years.

For most of these, there's nothing about their intrinsic quality that makes them worth more than something current. Nor is it that they're older or rarer or more vintage than anything else. It's just...odd.
One thing hasn't been said yet:
I can bet that vintage box has a much better tone than the crappy made in 2010s ones. It has to be true!
Quote by dspellman
I have a few things that have become worth silly money while I've owned them, but I had no intention of "collecting" or "investing" in anything. I bought what I thought was cool and that I liked.

I've been a collector since childhood, but it was never really about money.

...however...

It would be nice if I at least had the option of selling some of what was given away by my elders. Can't say I couldn't use the money...to buy more stuff, of course.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sure they're different. And customers in each market value things differently. My Mom used to collect dolls- few of those have "cool boxes" but they're big value boosters, nonetheless.

OTOH, I don't know that collectible barbed wire- yes, that's a thing, for those who don't know- is significantly more valuable in box, unless you're talking the REALLY early era stuff.

A $700 pedal, huh? That's probably starting to get into the price range where the truly nutty collectors might start looking hard at paying stupid money for beat up cardboard. $100, though...

Wouldn't be me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

And I've seen that.
Vintage barbed wire.
The REALLY REALLY old stuff, like from the 1800's can cost loads of $$$$.
Mostly the ones that are in some kind of display frame:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Antique-Barbed-Wire-Display-100-cuts-of-Wire-/161634228033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2269741
I've seen that sort of thing at flea markets here for around $200.

And this:
http://antiquebarbedwiresociety.com/

If it exists, there will be collectors of it, whatever "it" is.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 9, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've been a collector since childhood, but it was never really about money.

...however...

It would be nice if I at least had the option of selling some of what was given away by my elders. Can't say I couldn't use the money...to buy more stuff, of course.

if mom didn't give it away, throw it out etc then none of that stuff would be worth anything. a lot of new "collectables" are probably rarer when found not mint in mint packaging
Some truthyness there.

The comics hurt the most financially, but the losses that I FEEL the most were sorta avoidable:

1) after a summer long visit to my grandparents, my die cast cars got forgotten on the return home. When the mistake was discovered, my folks called my Gramma, and told her what had happened.

...but she, thinking I had left them behind intentionally as "childish things", had given them to the neighborhood kids.

I hadn't brought my whole fleet, but I HAD traveled with many of my favorites. I lost cars that were only sold in the factory/museum stores of Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lotus, etc., purchased when we lived in Stuttgart. Very rare.

2) when we moved away from Germany, I gave away most of my comics and my collection of Matchbox military toys. All the guys around bought them, so I gave my collection away to my friends- we simply didn't have enough weight allowance.

Losing the comics was bad enough, but I could, if I chose, repurchase those. The Matchbox militaria, OTOH, was virtually unfindable for years. Apparently, we lived in a test market: the die-cast tanks, APCs, Howitzers, planes, helicopters and so forth-covering the forces of many nations from 1942 forward- had all kinds of realistic features. The tanks especially so: authentic style markings including some that were camouflaged, 360deg rotating turrets, elevating/declining gun barrels, and treads made with heavy-duty rubber bands.

I looked a few years ago- except for the aircraft, they weren't in an official book of Matchbox collectible toys. That has since changed- a King Tiger goes for about $16-75 on eBay these days...and those are just plain silver/white- mine were winter camo. Same goes fir my green/tan camouflaged Chieftan- most for sale are just green.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2015,
i feel you. hand tons of baseball and football cards that are now worth big money. when i had my first communion i got money as a gift, bought the toy for the robot from Lost In Space (60s). that is now going for upwards of $1000 in box. had all of my toys until i got kicked out of the house. my dad saved very little and of course none of the good stuff.

as an added kicker back when i first started to play guitar i had a few of those crap guitars no one wanted (back then). late 50s Supro dual-tone, Kapa Continental, Sivertone with amp case as well as a couple of others. all bought for $20 or less. of course they all just got traded away or forgotten somewhere. now they all go for real money. the Supro was sold to a rock star (not sure who but my guitar teacher worked at the shop that i traded it in to and told me but couldn't say who for confidentiality reasons).
Feels, yo.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The comics hurt the most financially,

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1-204 complete (ranging from near mint to gem mint). I sold them for significantly more than I acquired them for, but a pittance of what they would sell for today.

Isn't that the way of things though?

I also had a 1973 Tops #100 Hank Aaron card that I thought would be worth a pile someday.

Yeah, not so much...
Charles Darwin
I was a comics fiend. My current collection, which I'm in the process of organizing and evaluating for charitable donation (since the local market sucks), takes up the physical space of a mid-sized car.

...and that is after having given away most of my comics due to moving.

...twice.

Essentially, if it was in print between 1971-1996, I owned it at one point. I think I bought my last comic in @2003.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

OTOH, I don't know that collectible barbed wire- yes, that's a thing, for those who don't know-

wat
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I was a comics fiend. My current collection, which I'm in the process of organizing and evaluating for charitable donation (since the local market sucks), takes up the physical space of a mid-sized car.

...twice.

Essentially, if it was in print between 1971-1996, I owned it at one point. I think I bought my last comic in @2003.

Yep, that was me at one time, I can absolutely relate!
Charles Darwin
Quote by dannyalcatraz

...twice.

i sold my collection in 2008. i had complete runs of Daredevil and Iron Man (including the Tales of Suspense issues). i was missing only 3 issues of Thor (but not JIM 83 1st appearence) and was missing 12 issues of Spiderman. i also had a fair number of Golden Age Marvel and DC (as well as othe makers from then). had 1st issue of Avengers signed by Jack Kirby. ok enough bragging. sad that i had to do this when the economy tanked. i did get a fair amount for them but theywere worth far more than what i go.

have been slowly picking up copies of some of my fav issues but silver age marvel stuff is pretty expensive these days.
Quote by monwobobbo
i sold my collection in 2008. i had complete runs of Daredevil and Iron Man (including the Tales of Suspense issues). i was missing only 3 issues of Thor (but not JIM 83 1st appearence) and was missing 12 issues of Spiderman. i also had a fair number of Golden Age Marvel and DC (as well as othe makers from then). had 1st issue of Avengers signed by Jack Kirby. ok enough bragging. sad that i had to do this when the economy tanked. i did get a fair amount for them but theywere worth far more than what i go.

have been slowly picking up copies of some of my fav issues but silver age marvel stuff is pretty expensive these days.

I had an Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) #7, in Very Good. Purchased it in a big cardboard box full of various comics that I gave the guy $10 for. Sold it for $8

It's selling a bit higher now...

My DD set wasn't complete, missing several early issues, and I stopped collecting after #191. Everything after #168 was perfect, as I purchased 2 of each, read one and sealed and stored the other.

I sold over 1,000 pieces all told when I get rid of my collection. Most weren't particularly valuable, especially at the time, but now...

Damn, some great memories here!
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
If you check with some of the vintage guitar shops, you'll find that there have been occasions where the inclusion of the original box for both guitar and amp was good for a major bump in the selling price. I was at Rumble Seat in Ithaca, NY, where they had a Fender something or other and the amp that the guy purchased at the same time, and the price for the whole mess specifically included the original boxes they were shipped in (complete with shipping tags), which were also part of the display.

Yea, this stuff is REALLY for actual old people, not young people that want to collect old stuff, because they will never get that ONE thing that truly makes old cardboard worth buying: Nostalgia.

I could see an old man in his 60s or 80s or whatever, looking at that cardboard box, and magically remembering all those old times of when he first got that pedal, and thinking about how if he had that box in his hands again, and always put the pedal inside and took it out again in between uses, he'd get to awaken those memories again each time. THAT's what the cardboard box means to true elder collectors.

It's such a bittersweet thing.... cuz man I've gone through my stage of nostalgia from hearing and holding things that I had 20 years ago, and it feels good at first. I almost feel like I'm living in that time again, then reality kicks in and gives me a sense of eternal loss and sadness because I don't believe God is out there and will ever let me relive those times again (I used to believe when you go to heaven you could just ask God to be a kid again or live in any fantasy you want because that's what heaven is all about).
If so, God will give me comics, Micronauts, Legos and cars.

....and a hot chick into those things.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If so, God will give me comics, Micronauts, Legos and cars.

....and a hot chick into those things.

c'mon even god can't provide hot chicks into all that stuff. some things are just impossible.
Page 1 of 2