If I was playing a song with palm muted open chords and it has some quick down up strums that are palm muted would you only play the thickest strings or try to strum all of them. I've tried both but trying all the strings ends up in it sounding wrong and being almost impossible due to the palm mute.
Last edited by BassBen93 at Jun 9, 2015,
Do you have a specific example? I've never come across an entire six string palm muting strum ever. If you're palm muting with your picking hand, you normally only play a few strings at a time at most.

If you're dampening the strings with your left hand ( which is an entirely different thing) then you can strum all six strings no problem.

Post a clip of a song that you're curious about and we can tell you what is going on.
It just depends - if you want the sound of all 6 strings palm muted then mute them all.

If you don't then don't.

Everything you do on the guitar is for one reason and one reason alone, to get a particular sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by reverb66
Do you have a specific example? I've never come across an entire six string palm muting strum ever. If you're palm muting with your picking hand, you normally only play a few strings at a time at most.

If you're dampening the strings with your left hand ( which is an entirely different thing) then you can strum all six strings no problem.

Post a clip of a song that you're curious about and we can tell you what is going on.

One example of the top of my head, is if I want a fast trill of a chord arpeggiated and ending it a quick snap, I will fingerpick all the strings I want, snap it out and quickly mute all of them with my palm. I'm sure I do it at lots of other times also.

I never think much of how I mute though really, but I'm pretty sure I do a lot of them, as well as every other kind. Muting I think is really important, and something I think the layman doesn't really realize is happening nearly as often as it is.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jun 13, 2015,
Quote by BassBen93
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9hUB5zDoIw

I can't get the quick down up it's so awkward

I'm not sure it's so much a muting thing that you're missing there. Idk exactly what it is cause I'm not watching you do it.

As a side, I can't stand it when people like this guy talk about using a capo, and then proceed to talking about the same A shape compared to their capo rather than the nut as an A chord. it just isn't an A chord.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jun 13, 2015,