Yo. Not sure if I'm in thr correct section, but I'll go for it.
I was wondering what chord progression could be used for this form of the scale (I think there are two pelog scales). The notes are: G, A, C#, E, F#, G. I think I have a loop thing, so I can use repeat those chords and improvise on this scale.
Anybody got any ideas? This is such a fun one to play.
The problem here is that "scale" is from a form of music that doesn't really use chords, it doesn't even feature much in the way of harmony comapred to western music.

Moved to MT
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That is one problem, and the other is that the notes aren't tempered equally as in western music and so it's just not going to sound right anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Sean and Kristen are right.

However, we often use our "Western" approximation of the Pelog scale (there's 12 BTW) as a subset of a Phrygian scale.

Ergo, anywhere you'd play Phrygian, you'd play Pelog.

So:

Cm7 - Dbmaj7 x Infinity

There's a nice C Phrygian vamp, so you can use C pelog:

C Db Eb G Ab

ALTHOUGH

The scale you have isn't Pelog at all, It's a subset of A mixolydian, out of order. It's an Amaj triad with a 6 and b7.

If you wanted F# pelog (which your scale is very close to) you'd want:

F# G A C# D#
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Everyone is correct. And that's not Pelog, it's a stripped out A Mixolydian, in that it has all the major identifying notes R 3rd b7 and a supporting, non characteristic one, the 6th.

However, you can still play with it in a non traditional way, by simply extracting the chords that you see out of the notes. This is where knowing triads, and chords, intervals can be useful.

In doing it that way, I'd just see it as a set of pitches, played against chords made up of the same pitches, from an experimental standpoint.

G, A, C#, E, F#, G.

In this case, though, you have some pretty tweaked-out "chords". Without being academic about it, I'd just play these as harmonic "clusters", and give them names that belie their intervalic makeup without being "chords" if I had to make names.

So a G add 9 or 11 (no 3rd or 5th) Just 2 note things, really. You can literally just play a G tritone even, if you wanted. G+4 or whatever

Or A/G

E min 6 (no 5th)

F#m7

C#dim

Just whatever.

You get the idea. Just abstract clusters that you can mess about with. It's very limiting, but it can be fun. I once found a strange scale that I identified 2 R-5 possibilities and I just did a 2 chord vamp while a buddy "played" the notes over them.

Harmless fun.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 12, 2015,
@Jetpenguin and Sean 0913 thanks for the ideas, I will have a lots fun improvising over those progressions.
@Jet penguin I learnt that scale only under the name of ''Balinese scale'', I was never sure if that was considered pelog as well.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Jun 14, 2015,