Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

Les Paul Classic Sea Foam Green

Les Paul Special TV Yellow, double cutaway and 2 p90s

all 3 are 2015 models.

I´ve always wanted a deluxe but the classic is a great deal and the special just screams rock n roll!

Any of you have one of the guitars?
whch one feelsthe best to you when you play it? kinda different guitars and sounds so keep that in mind. can't go wrong with any of them per se.
You aren't exactly comparing similar guitars. They might have the same shape but everything else is different. They'll all sound different and feel different and you need to try them personally to make a decision. We can't do that for you.

What kind of music do you play, what is your gear now? Does it have to be a 2015 model?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I like the look of the sea foam green, but as the song says, "the look of the cake, it ain't always the taste."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
whch one feelsthe best to you when you play it? kinda different guitars and sounds so keep that in mind. can't go wrong with any of them per se.

Haven´t played either. It´s an online shop that´s selling them cheap because they´re returns. Plus, I currently have money to spend.

I´ve always wanted a deluxe, but somehow the mini-toggle and the missing fret-nibs take away some of the magic. Hell, even my Greco Les Paul has fret-nibs!

The classic in that colour just looks great. It also has a great figured maple top. I guess togethar that will make it a "collectable" for hard-core Gibson afficionados in the future. On the other hand it´s not a deluxe!

The TV yellow special just screams rock n roll. But, since I´m pretty anal about brand new guitars I´d rather buy a guitar like that used. On the other hand they´re pricing it just a bit higher than used ones in decent shape go for. Plus, since specials never had fret-nibs I won´t miss them.
I don't get it. You care about fret nibs a lot unless the original model didn't have them, and then you don't care? That seems like a poor reason not to buy a guitar.

A good reason not to buy a guitar, though, is buying a Gibson sight unseen, especially one that's been returned already. That's just asking for a lemon.

The Classic in Seafoam is probably not going to be a collectible in the future. If you want a collectible get an old brazilian board Historic, or really any decently featured Reissue. Modern production models don't generally turn into collector's items.

It sounds like you've got a lot of reasons for buying each one, but none of them is sound or feel or features, which makes it tough to help. If you just want a guitar that you think is cool, why not get an old refinished Deluxe?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You aren't exactly comparing similar guitars. They might have the same shape but everything else is different. They'll all sound different and feel different and you need to try them personally to make a decision. We can't do that for you.

What kind of music do you play, what is your gear now? Does it have to be a 2015 model?

I have 120 guitars, so it´s basicly the dead spot in my brain and my bank account that make me want another one.

I have a few Japanese Les Pauls from the 70s including an Orville so the base covered by the classic is already covered. I don´t have anything really comparable to a deluxe but the 2015 specs make me doubt it "feels" like the deluxes I´ve played in the past.

I play in various bands, my main bands being an OZZY tribute band and a band that plays 80s hair metal. I also currently do the "rent a guitarist" thing for a prog-rock band and a "renaissance goes electric" show.
I would go with the DC. Prefer the P90s and the slimmer build. Also generally think the look of the LPDC blows the standard LP single cut out of the water. Haven't played any 2015 models cause I'm not really a LP player so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
Quote by kentuckyklira
Haven´t played either. It´s an online shop that´s selling them cheap because they´re returns. Plus, I currently have money to spend.

I´ve always wanted a deluxe, but somehow the mini-toggle and the missing fret-nibs take away some of the magic. Hell, even my Greco Les Paul has fret-nibs!

The classic in that colour just looks great. It also has a great figured maple top. I guess togethar that will make it a "collectable" for hard-core Gibson afficionados in the future. On the other hand it´s not a deluxe!

The TV yellow special just screams rock n roll. But, since I´m pretty anal about brand new guitars I´d rather buy a guitar like that used. On the other hand they´re pricing it just a bit higher than used ones in decent shape go for. Plus, since specials never had fret-nibs I won´t miss them.

Buying a Gibson blind is silly. Doesn't matter if you own 150 guitars or not.

So then why are you even considering 2015 models when they are the farthest from having any classic LP features?

Quote by kentuckyklira
I have 120 guitars, so it´s basicly the dead spot in my brain and my bank account that make me want another one.

I have a few Japanese Les Pauls from the 70s including an Orville so the base covered by the classic is already covered. I don´t have anything really comparable to a deluxe but the 2015 specs make me doubt it "feels" like the deluxes I´ve played in the past.

I play in various bands, my main bands being an OZZY tribute band and a band that plays 80s hair metal. I also currently do the "rent a guitarist" thing for a prog-rock band and a "renaissance goes electric" show.

Okay so if your only reason for buying it is 'cause 'you don't have one' then why do you need us to tell you which one to get? You don't have a deluxe and you have '70s Orvilles [Orville started in 87-88 btw] and other MIJ guitars so you have that covered. Heck you have 120 guitars so you should really know what you need and want.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by kentuckyklira

you have 120 guitars and need out help to decide? really . uyou seem to want a deluxe so go for it. worrying about nibs is kinda dumb. dude those guitars all have that new tuning system and 0 frets which aren't found on any old gibsons. 2015 models aren't likely to be collectable. many gibson fans hate them.
Quote by monwobobbo
you have 120 guitars and need out help to decide? really . uyou seem to want a deluxe so go for it. worrying about nibs is kinda dumb. dude those guitars all have that new tuning system and 0 frets which aren't found on any old gibsons. 2015 models aren't likely to be collectable. many gibson fans hate them.

Not to mention a wider and flatter neck profile, different switching and other things that make them different from previous years.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
They should all be nice guitars that cover different bases sonically speaking. However, if you haven't put your hands on the newer Gibson guitars, you may want to before you just buy one out of nowhere.

Sure, you can order guitars safely online and get a solid axe. The problem is that Gibson has made some changes to their guitars lately. If your only experience playing a Gibson is with an older model, you may not like what you get if you order one of the new ones sight unseen. Some of the changes they have made are really good - especially more robust wiring. But others, may impact how it feels and plays for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Buying a Gibson blind is silly. Doesn't matter if you own 150 guitars or not.

So then why are you even considering 2015 models when they are the farthest from having any classic LP features?

Okay so if your only reason for buying it is 'cause 'you don't have one' then why do you need us to tell you which one to get? You don't have a deluxe and you have '70s Orvilles [Orville started in 87-88 btw] and other MIJ guitars so you have that covered. Heck you have 120 guitars so you should really know what you need and want.

You got me on the Orville!

Considering the 2015 models because the shop I´m looking at is really selling them cheap and I´m a sucker for a good deal (hence 120 guitars).

It ain´t exactly "buying blind" when all I have to do if I don´t like it is put it back in the box and have it picked up.

What I´m hoping for is some people who´ve played or actually own one or more of these guitars. Something like, "I have a 1972 deluxe and the 2015 isn´t as different as it seems" or "I have a classic and it blows any standard that I´ve played in the last few decades". Or, for what it´s worth, the opposite.
Quote by kentuckyklira

Considering the 2015 models because the shop I´m looking at is really selling them cheap and I´m a sucker for a good deal (hence 120 guitars).

It ain´t exactly "buying blind" when all I have to do if I don´t like it is put it back in the box and have it picked up.

What I´m hoping for is some people who´ve played or actually own one or more of these guitars. Something like, "I have a 1972 deluxe and the 2015 isn´t as different as it seems" or "I have a classic and it blows any standard that I´ve played in the last few decades". Or, for what it´s worth, the opposite.

Wishful thinking.

You can go over to My Les Paul if you want more specific information. Considering I lurk there quite a bit, I can promise you the answer over there will be the same as here "old deluxes and 2015 models are way different" because they are. In construction, electronics, neck profile, you name it.

Why don't you just buy a real Deluxe?

Hey, you ever wonder why all the stores are selling '15s really cheap?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 9, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira

dude really again. ok played an early 70s deluxe for a couple of years that a fellow bandmate owned. new ones don't feel the same or really sound exactly the same. as mentioned the necks are now different as are the pickups. i've only played one 2015 LP and it was ok but nothing to write home about. my BC Rich has a wider fretboard so the new LP didn't bother me.
Or better yet, why don't you just get a CS model and be done with it? I paid less for this than most people are paying for a 15 standard...

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Hey, you ever wonder why all the stores are selling '15s really cheap?

They are?

Not here in Germany they aren´t!

Unless your definition of "really cheap" is different than mine.
Quote by kentuckyklira
They are?

Not here in Germany they aren´t!

Unless your definition of "really cheap" is different than mine.

I was assuming you're in America.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by monwobobbo
dude really again. ok played an early 70s deluxe for a couple of years that a fellow bandmate owned. new ones don't feel the same or really sound exactly the same. as mentioned the necks are now different as are the pickups. i've only played one 2015 LP and it was ok but nothing to write home about. my BC Rich has a wider fretboard so the new LP didn't bother me.

You see, this is the kind of comment I´m looking for. The only shop around here I trust stopped selling new Gibsons a few years ago because the owner refuses to be blackmailed into overstocking Gibsons by their German distributor. Therefore I can either go to a place I hate and despise or ask on a forum like this.
Gibson QC has always been hit and miss. The 2015s are definitely a departure with the tuning system and the wider nut, but trying to figure out if you're going to get a good or a bad one out of the thousands they've cranked out already from one or two anecdotes on the internet is probably not a good idea. Plenty of good and bad instruments out there with every single Gibson model. It's not like they only made bad guitars this year.

The new Deluxes are not that close to the old ones. The old ones were all hit and miss too, or at least the few I've played were all over the map. The Classic is a nice model but it is going to depend entirely on if you get a good one or not, individually they're not better or worse than individual Standards. FWIW a high proportion of Standards I've played in the last 2-3 years have been really quite bad. I've only played a handful of Classics so I can't comment as much on those.

If you want a good deal on a Gibson you are probably not going to find it by buying 2015 models. Even discounted they are still going to be pretty darn expensive compared to models from even a few years ago. Plus the G-Force thing is a turn-off for most people. I'd suggest getting an older model without it unless you really want to try it, or have used it before and liked it.
Quote by kentuckyklira
You see, this is the kind of comment I´m looking for. The only shop around here I trust stopped selling new Gibsons a few years ago because the owner refuses to be blackmailed into overstocking Gibsons by their German distributor. Therefore I can either go to a place I hate and despise or ask on a forum like this.

you don't have to love the place if you can try the guitars out. really if you haven't tried any of the new models then i'd be kinda wary about buying them. sure you can return them but that still ties up your money and time to ship them back.

seems like a clearer idea of what you want out of a guitar is needed. if you aren't a rock star then i can't see any reason to have 120 and then be GASing for more. you seem to be buying just to buy rather than getting somethig you'd really enjoy.
Maybe trying selling a dozen of the guitars you already have, and get a custom shop Gibson (or any other brand for that matter,) with everything that you want on it. Yeah, it might be expensive, but it could be perfect for you.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Out of your 120 guitars, have you ever indulged in purchasing a custom guitar or something from a smaller company? Maybe someone local?

I ask because I know Gibsons are pricey to start off here in the USA, and can't be any cheaper where you are. In addition, they're a bit hit or miss, quality-wise. Go to a luthier or small-run/custom builder, and similar amounts of money will get you a lot more guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira

If you're going to buy the LP DC, don't buy the Gibson version. Anything from a Collings version (the Collings 290 is actually a special with better pickups and added design features, but it's a single-cut version) down to the the Agile AD-2300 would be a better choice. This is one guitar where the Gibson name is really more detriment than benefit.

If you're going to buy the Deluxe, my suggestion would be to find a different year (though the Deluxe in and of itself is a great choice). Nibs mean nothing to me (yeah, I've got a stack of Gibsons with them, but I consider them more nuisance than nice). And you've really gotta love that color to bother with the Classic.

I'd never bother with any of the guitars that have the G-Force system onboard; it's a waste of money. The brass nut isn't a bad idea, the wider neck wouldn't be a bad idea if the string spacing were wider, too. I think the 2015s have LOWER frets than earlier models, and that makes no sense, either. To me, that is. YMMV.
Quote by dspellman
If you're going to buy the LP DC, don't buy the Gibson version. Anything from a Collings version (the Collings 290 is actually a special with better pickups and added design features, but it's a single-cut version) down to the the Agile AD-2300 would be a better choice. This is one guitar where the Gibson name is really more detriment than benefit.

If you're going to buy the Deluxe, my suggestion would be to find a different year (though the Deluxe in and of itself is a great choice). Nibs mean nothing to me (yeah, I've got a stack of Gibsons with them, but I consider them more nuisance than nice). And you've really gotta love that color to bother with the Classic.

I'd never bother with any of the guitars that have the G-Force system onboard; it's a waste of money. The brass nut isn't a bad idea, the wider neck wouldn't be a bad idea if the string spacing were wider, too. I think the 2015s have LOWER frets than earlier models, and that makes no sense, either. To me, that is. YMMV.

dying to try some Collings they look so nice. you cna also look for used Hamer double cuts that are similar tothose gibsons and way better.
Quote by monwobobbo
you don't have to love the place if you can try the guitars out. really if you haven't tried any of the new models then i'd be kinda wary about buying them. sure you can return them but that still ties up your money and time to ship them back.

seems like a clearer idea of what you want out of a guitar is needed. if you aren't a rock star then i can't see any reason to have 120 and then be GASing for more. you seem to be buying just to buy rather than getting somethig you'd really enjoy.

The place that has gibson is Music Store. also known as www.musicstore.de. They do most of their business online. Therefore, any guitars under custom shop level in the actual shop are usually badly set up. Plus, you will usually get annoyed by a minimum-wager who thinks getting paid to annoy possible customers in a music shop is an achievement in life. Unless of course you come on a saturday, in which case you can stand in line to check out gear because every booth will be full of school kids playing Metallica on Epiphones.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Out of your 120 guitars, have you ever indulged in purchasing a custom guitar or something from a smaller company? Maybe someone local?

I ask because I know Gibsons are pricey to start off here in the USA, and can't be any cheaper where you are. In addition, they're a bit hit or miss, quality-wise. Go to a luthier or small-run/custom builder, and similar amounts of money will get you a lot more guitar.

I have a few custom models like for example a Vigier Excalibur or a Washburn N5. Like I said, I´m a sucker for a good deal which makes most local luthiers not an option. They get enough of my business anyhow because 120 guitars always means there´ll be some work I don´t want to or can´t do myself.
Quote by dspellman

I actually wouldn´t mind checking out the G-Force system. But, if the lower fret thing is true then it´s good bye 2015 models for me! I´ll look into it.

BTW, AFAIK the last time Gibson made the deluxe was 2012 or 2013. Do you have any experience with those?
Last edited by kentuckyklira at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira
I have a few custom models like for example a Vigier Excalibur or a Washburn N5.

Those are both standard production guitars for those companies- good as they are, they're not custom models...unless you actually customized them in the initial order, of course.

No, I'm talking about a true custom or customizable instrument. As in you pick the wood, the pickups, and everything else, possibly within the boundaries of the builder's set of standard designs, possibly something completely different from anything else out there. I've done it a couple of times. Very rewarding...and cheaper than many "high-end" production guitars.

Like I said, I´m a sucker for a good deal which makes most local luthiers not an option.

Keep your eyes open. Many of the luthiers I buy from or whose sites I visit will occasionally have sales of unsold guitars they have laying about. They will be unsold for several reasons: B-stocks due to an unnoticed pre-finish nick in the wood; a custom project that the buyer bailed on; previously made guitars they re-acquired from various sources (estate sales, gifts, eBay, etc.).

i was at GC looking to demo an amp. i don't remember what it was, i think it may have been the uberschall or a diamond, and was happy to see decent amps in there, so i wanted to try them.

i had the girl walk over and see if i wanted to demo a guitar, i said yea and a LP, and she brought this 2015 standard model. i hated the damn thing. the mini-tune was a pain, you can tune better and faster with a tuner, it was terrible. i like brass nuts, so that was a nice feature, but not a big deal. i also didn't care for the different nut width and radius.

that is mostly personal opinion, the thing i thing is NOT as opinion oriented is the mini-tune. i can't see too many people liking that to be honest. it doesn't feel nor play like a gibson made 2014 and prior.

IF you get a 2015, play one first.

also, do you ever wonder sometimes why things are open box? sometimes they are the rejects sent back to the store and shipped out. not the best way to buy a guitar with a history of good QC.

FWIW i am a gibson fan overall, but i don't like the new ones.

(smell troll?)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I was assuming you're in America.

Right. The ones they can't sell, they ship to Germany and charge extra.
Quote by kentuckyklira
I actually wouldn´t mind checking out the G-Force system. But, if the lower fret thing is true then it´s good bye 2015 models for me! I´ll look into it.

BTW, AFAIK the last time Gibson made the deluxe was 2012 or 2013. Do you have any experience with those?

No experience with recent deluxes. Extensive experience with a '69. All but one of my Gibsons were built prior to 1980.

The G-Force/MinETune system can be purchased separately from their originators if you want to check it out on an existing guitar. Runs about $300.

Gibson has been mucking about with tuning systems that change string tension via motors since the early '90's, when they produced their TransPerformance guitars with the motors in the bridge rather than in the headstock. They charged an extra $3500 for them, touted alternate tunings, etc. Despite the fact that they had Jimmy Page shilling for them, very few of these were produced.

The folks from PowerTune (they've since changed the name of the company to Tronical) demo'd their self-tuning system at NAMM in 2005, and Gibson tied them up in an exclusive almost immediately (announced at the show!).That produced the Dork Star, Dust Tiger and the Robot guitars. As technology marched on, they managed to get everything tucked into a box on the headstock.

Several issues with it that aren't going away:

It doesn't work well in noisy environments; it often gets fooled and can't "hear" what it's tuned. Not reliable on gigs. It's not particularly accurate. It will get you close, but not necessarily on the money. The same things that cause you fits in tuning (strings catching in the nut) now will defeat the MinETune.

Alternate tunings are limited by string gauge. Changing to an alternate tuning by changing string tension leaves you with some strings that are floppy, some that are cheese slicers. Bending becomes problematic. Going beyond its limits can break the strings (if the gauge is too light) or the tuners (if the gauge is too heavy).
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 10, 2015,
Quote by kentuckyklira
The place that has gibson is Music Store. also known as www.musicstore.de. They do most of their business online. Therefore, any guitars under custom shop level in the actual shop are usually badly set up. Plus, you will usually get annoyed by a minimum-wager who thinks getting paid to annoy possible customers in a music shop is an achievement in life. Unless of course you come on a saturday, in which case you can stand in line to check out gear because every booth will be full of school kids playing Metallica on Epiphones.

dude this is the same everywhere. before spending a couple grand on a guitar personaly i'd risk being annoyed etc to check out the guitar. you can still get an idea of the neck, pickups etc even if the guitar is't setup perfectly. just saying ti seems worth the hassle.
Thanks for all your replies. The Gold Top deluxe is sold. I´ll keep my eyes open for a used deluxe I guess.
As people have said, quality control seems very variable at Gibson and I would say it's essential to try one.