Since this seems to be a thing now, and i have been binging on these fellows Orchestras/Big Bands as of late.

Out of Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and Count Basie, what do you like and/or dislike about their work and why?

As mentioned in the other threads, this is not a matter of whose better, since music is subjective. Rather, who do you prefer and why?

Personally love the work of all these three gentlemen, as well as many other great leaders of the time. But i think i would personally have to hand it to Basie, followed by the Duke, and lastly Goodman. I often tend to prefer Basies arrangement of tunes, as well as the sidemen he took in to fill the spots in his band (I mean, who doesn't love Lester Young on tenor saxophone). Not to mention that he worked with a lot of great singers (not that the others didn't, but as said, the arrangements with these singers were great!) like Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald, two of my personal favorites.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Ellington by FAR. Then Basie then Goodman.

Ellington had the best band and along with Strayhorn was the superior composer and did the most to advance the art form.

That being said, this is probably the last mirror thread I'll allow, lest we slide down the slippery slope.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
That is the thing about starting trends on these forums, they very easily spiral out of control.

They are very close to me, but i really enjoy Basies work. Especially together with Ella. I can't deny that Duke was a bigger influence on the music as a whole though.

As said, they were all great musicians though. All of them had great sidemen during their time, on all instruments. Charlie Christian with Benny Goodman was amazing, Freddie Green with Basie as well.

Makes me want to go back in time and see all the great jazz cats live in action, i would have killed to see Parker perform.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Free jazz is the best jazz. Max Rebo is pretty good though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Free jazz is the best jazz.

I haven't gotten that into free jazz to be honest, the most i explored of it was to do with Coltrane, Mingus and Jarrets music. I prefer bebop, hard bop and contemporary jazz, although i can enjoy and appreciate it all.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
No jazz is best jazz. All jazz is best jazz. Too many people focus on putting jazz into a box which is so against the spirit of the music.

Sickz you should check out the seminal Ornette Colemna recordings, as well as Eric Dolphy's stuff. That's a good next step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklbhkm1HrE

Different execution than Coleman, same ethos.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Ornette Coleman just died and I think this thread is responsible.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.