Doing some chord theory and working suspended and added chords, just need clarification on a add 6.

If A major is

e || | |
b || | 3 |
g || | R |
d || | 5 |
a || | |
E || | |
1 2

Then to form A add 6 3rd is kept and the 6th is added giving the following:

e || | | |
b || | 3 | |
g || | R | |
d || | | 6 |
a || | | |
E || | | |
1 2 3

Is that correct?

Thanks.
Close, for add6 you want 4 notes.

1 3 5 6
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
^ This. Add chords add notes to the triad. So you have root, third and fifth and the added note. Aadd6 or A6 is A C# E F#.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I posted something but was getting it all wrong. My brain is in the wrong gear today. If you read any of my posts in the last ten minutes - ignore them.

Your second chord there is F A C# = an F augmented triad not an A6. Though they are closely related.

Listen to the two above me.

{EDIT} Also if you use the word code within square brackets Like this: [code]
then the characters are all the same length and the spaces all count
so you can line things up much nicer e.g.
e || | | |
b || |#5 | | (C#)
g || | 3 | | (A)
D || | | R | (F)
A || | | |
E || | | |
1 2 3
Then when you have finished typing and want to close the code box type
/code
inside square brackets [ ][/code]
then you get back to the normal post. It just makes things easier to read. Just make sure you count the spaces and use the preview button to see what it will look like.
Si
20T's losing it haha.

The mirror threads unhinged his mind.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Monkey_Toes
Doing some chord theory and working suspended and added chords, just need clarification on a add 6.

If A major is

e || | |
b || | 3 |
g || | R |
d || | 5 |
a || | |
E || | |
1 2

Then to form A add 6 3rd is kept and the 6th is added giving the following:

e || | | |
b || | 3 | |
g || | R | |
d || | | 6 |
a || | | |
E || | | |
1 2 3

Is that correct?

Thanks.

When a chord name has the work "add", then the additional note is being added to the normal chord. C add 2 is therefore C (short for C major triad), then add the 2. Cm7 add 6 is therefore Cm7 with the 6 added to this.

Whereas "sus" implies a replacement of the maj 3rd normally in the chord, by either a 4th (e.g. C sus4, C7sus4 ...) or by the 2nd (C sus2 ...)

cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jun 11, 2015,
Thing to understand that in music there are a lot of fast and loose terms, used by someone communicating this, for a chord name.

Sometimes you have to determine what they mean by inference because there's no actual chord named that.

I'd just see an add 6 as Jet showed as a plain 6th: R 3 5 6. I see "add" chords, as an occurrence when there's no 7th present, and there's an extended compound interval beyond the 7th.

Best,

Sean